Sign in to follow this  
UnderbossNico

Suggestions on Flame Projectors

I don't mean to be the munchkin on his first post, but I've been wanting to make a bounty hunter with wrist rockets, grapnel spike and a flame projector on his armor. However, the light flame projector is pretty cumbersome. I was wanting to ask the forum if there were any suggestions on potential homebrewed items? An example being the Czerka wrist mounted Flame projector, it's an item located in the Star Wars D20 game but not in Edge of the Empire as of yet. For authenticity here is the wookiepedia link

I was wondering if anyone had potential thoughts on what stats it should have or if I am perhaps missing a book that may already have it? 

In a home game one of our PC's wanted one, so we took the under-barrel flame projector and the wristmount weapon attachments, had our mechanic make a check to combine the two, and added a few caveats to it:

- Takes 2 HP on the armor, and the cost/rarity of both attachments. 

-Limited ammo 1, with the option to modify it at the cost of more HP to add a fuel reserve.

-Dangerous - upgrades the difficulty once, a Despair means he flamed himself too.

Oh, I thought that the wrist mounted Attachment was tied to the actual weapons hard points, not the armors. I considered doing this with the light flame projector but never considered doing so with the under-barrel one. I'll look into it. Though my intent was to hopefully use something that uses the ranged [light] skill as that is what i plan to train most in. The underbarrel would make it it be ranged [heavy] if I am not mistaken. 

However, i would be curious to imagine just what the Czerka wrist mounted flame projector would be statted as. I do hope they add it somewhere in future books.

Edited by UnderbossNico

It would be difficult, but you can craft your own. Take the Energy Pistol Template, with the objective of getting 3 Triumph or 4 Advantage and 2 Triumph (not easy, but doable) to give it Burn and Blast. Combine that with the wrist mount attachment and you've got it.

I don't have the old AAEG handy, but going off other numbers for the the Czerka wrist flamer, at only 800c I'd stat the thing out probably along the lines of a weaker version of the Firecaller. Take the Firecaller... drop pierce and vicious, add a limited ammo rating of 1 maybe 2, and drop the Encumbrance to 2 or 3 and HP to 0. It's be effective at applying a crit and a little damage, but it would otherwise be more about dramatically spewing flames and starting fires than actually causing a lot of wounds.

I hadn't known about the crafting from Special modifications, could be interesting. Sadly, a lot of the features that the firecaller has are stuff i'd love to keep. That said, if we use it as a template but drop the hard points, how would we get it attached? The armor "mounted" attachment seems to be for far bigger items, i was hoping to use the wrist-mounted attachment myself, but that would be impossible if the weapon has no hard points. 

1 hour ago, UnderbossNico said:

I hadn't known about the crafting from Special modifications, could be interesting. Sadly, a lot of the features that the firecaller has are stuff i'd love to keep. That said, if we use it as a template but drop the hard points, how would we get it attached? The armor "mounted" attachment seems to be for far bigger items, i was hoping to use the wrist-mounted attachment myself, but that would be impossible if the weapon has no hard points. 

I was suggesting you rejigger the numbers and, with GM approval, make it just count as the Czerka wrist flamer from the get go. So while not as powerful as the firecaller, it would come wrist-mounted, and therefore not be able to be dropped or need to be managed/drawn to use it. No need to formally mount it to your armor, you just wear it.

If you're looking for a full jiggering, what you're probably going to have to do is:

Get a high HP Armor set like Battle Armor or Mando Armor. Add ET increasing gear and options, and take a career with the tinkerer talent like BH:Gadgeteer.

So... Lets assume you're Brawn 3. You take heavy armor, load bearing gear and a utility belt. That puts your ET at 9 after your armor is included. Now... we add the built-in holsters (2HP) for another +4 ET and you now have an ET Surplus of 13. 

Take a Firecaller and use Tinkerer to add 1 HP to it, it now has 2 HP and is compatible with the Correlian Wrist-mounting. There's your Wrist Flamer (ETS:9). 

Add the Micro-rocket Armor Attachment for wrist-rockets (2HP, 0 Enc)

You're out of HP on heavy Armor at this point, and the Grapnel Launcher doesn't have the HP to wrist mount, so you'll just have to carry it, fortunately it is also Enc 3 or less, so that can be Weapon 1 that doesn't count against your Enc. 

You'll need a main weapon, so lets get a blaster Rifle. Strip it down and it's Enc can get to 3 or less, and that still leaves an HP for a Multi-optic sight, alternately all your weapons so far are ranged light, so perhaps a Pistol conversion makes more sense instead. This can be weapon 2 that doesn't count against your Enc. (Alternatively a GLX Firelance might be a good option, if a little less powerful)

At this point you might as well go whole hog and get a Jetpack (2 Enc, ETS:7)

And a Saberdart Launcher (which can be wrist Mounted) (3Enc, ETS:4)

Extra Reloads of course (1 Enc, ETS:3)

Helmet Mounted Long Range comlink (0HP)

And at that point, I think you're close enough. That leaves you with 3 Enc to take mission specific weapons and equipment. 

Yes...it all comes down to managing encumberance as it seems. I really did not wish to get the ever so staple of Mandalorian Armor. Nice as it is, I personally feel it's over done. Plus I much rather have him be more light-weight armor then another Boba Fett rip-off. But it is a thought I was forced to consider given the things I want to do. I had planned to take some talent trees in gadgeteer and outlaw-tech to get more tinkerer points to work. Having a tinkerer point to the fire-caller was one of my original notions. The GM is pretty reasonable so there is always room for leeway with him.

14 hours ago, UnderbossNico said:

Yes...it all comes down to managing encumberance as it seems.

Welcome to Star Wars.

14 hours ago, UnderbossNico said:

I really did not wish to get the ever so staple of Mandalorian Armor. Nice as it is, I personally feel it's over done. Plus I much rather have him be more light-weight armor then another Boba Fett rip-off.

Well, you don't need Mando Armor, you just need something with ample Hardpoints is all. Heavy Battle armor and Mando armor are just the two most obvious choices.

If you want something a little lighter, why not the Merr-Sonn N-57 Armor? You lose a point in Defense, but it's 1 Enc less, has 5 HP, and has what is essentially built-in extra reloads for energy weapons.

That would not only fit the bill, it would also allow you to install an additional Armor Attachment, and save your 2 points of Encumbrance for more toys...

Well the Merr-sonn Armor is probably the best I can do, Mando armor is overdone in my eyes and while I like say the Berethon armor that I want to keep since I think it looks aesthetically pleasing, maybe what im trying to do requires that I must admit defeat and grab a higher HP based armor. The Merr-sonn seems to be a good middle ground. But i'll keep looking. I planned to take outlaw tech and gadgeteer so I can get enough tinkerer points to get these other items to have enough hard points for the wrist mount attachment. This is a long run kind of con though and who knows what will happen when and if the game I'm in goes through. 

19 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

It's all theater of the mind so grab some N-57 (mechanics), call it Berethon mk II (narrative), and you're golden.

You've got a fair point. The only issue now is living long enough to buy the armor 

*puts a Tothpick in my mouth and puts a leg on a chair and rests my arms on my thigth*

Alright here is what you need to do sunny boy, you take the normal flame projector and add the strip down attachment then you get the Automated weapon mounting uppgrade both and bada bing bada boom you got yourself a wristmounted flamethrower.....CHOWDAR! 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:35 PM, UnderbossNico said:

The only issue that i have with that is it being heavy ranged skill based and my character is not trained in that currently.

Given that the range is short, you'll only be rolling 1 purple to hit with it. Even with 0 points into ranged heavy you're looking at at least 3 green vs 1 purple. That's still hitting the vast majority of the time. Add one rank in heavy and you're good. throw in some boosts from various sources and its pretty devastating, and easy to trigger blast.

Flamethrowers are very nasty even without a character who is very skilled in ranged heavy.

Edited by BadMotivator

1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

Given that the range is short, you'll only be rolling 1 purple to hit with it. Even with 0 points into ranged heavy you're looking at at least 3 green vs 1 purple. That's still hitting the vast majority of the time. Add one rank in heavy and you're good. throw in some boosts from various sources and its pretty devastating, and easy to trigger blast.

Flamethrowers are very nasty even without a character who is very skilled in ranged heavy.

While that may be true, I had planned to take some points in talents that give me damage boosts to a ranged skill. And I think they usually apply as long as they fall into that category. So bonus damage to ranged light and also eventually demolition for more explosive boost as it's talents state by RAW that it only requires the weapon to have an explosive property, which flamethrowers do. Hopefully my micro-rocket launcher will also benefit from this. I plan to be a no mess with guy at the end of this long and convoluted journey xD

A questions and a comment.

First, where are the rules on wrist weapons not needing to be drawn or stowed? I have thought this should be the case, but haven't found an instance where that is spelled out. 

My current character is a Mandalorian working on building Mandalorian Vambraces, and some research showed they did a lot. Repulsers, darts, small energy shield, grappling harpoon (or some simillar entangling line), blasters, and a flame projector. I looked at a lot of different ways of doing those, and mechanically and flaove wise the integrated holsters attachment made the most sense to me. Modded, the attachment grants quick draw and the description mentions various systems helping to draw and stow the in built items. All the regular flame projectors have too high of an encumbrance, but you can get a compatible rifle sized weapon light enough to put the underbarrel attachment on and integrate it. Flavor wise, integrating the weapon made more sense to me that trying to slap e eything to my wrist and the hands free weapon system specifically says no hands or arms needed, so that seemed more Predator to me. Integrated holsters can hold any weapon low enough encumbrance, so the mechanics of hot swapping between a bunch of small specialized weapons fit the flavor of the Vambraces. Building these all into the attachment to represent the Vambraces worn as part of Mandalorian armor. If you are interested, I would be more than happy to share the various weapons and attachments I came up with to replicate as best I could what Mandalorian Vambraces did. As a caveat, a decent mechanics skill is needed to make the various mods to get the quick draw and extra weapons.

Edited by Kyln

On 10/13/2018 at 1:34 PM, Kyln said:

First, where are the rules on wrist weapons not needing to be drawn or stowed? I have thought this should be the case, but haven't found an instance where that is spelled out. 

Dangerous covenants pg 52. It's vaguely worded, but it's there, in the base modifiers of the wrist mount.

The weapon can be worn on the wrist allowing the wearer to use his hands.

So the weapon doesn't need to be drawn or stowed because wearing it means it's effectively always drawn, but it doesn't matter because you can still use your hands. 

3 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Dangerous covenants pg 52. It's vaguely worded, but it's there, in the base modifiers of the wrist mount.

The weapon can be worn on the wrist allowing the wearer to use his hands.

So the weapon doesn't need to be drawn or stowed because wearing it means it's effectively always drawn, but it doesn't matter because you can still use your hands. 

Thank you!