Jarval

First Order conversion kit article

On 10/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, Volkren said:

I'm sorry if I miss it but, do we already know the text of the Condition, or are we assuming it is the same as 1.0? 

If it is the same, I agree with you, that condition will be useless...

Panicked pilot is pretty devastating to a large number of ships. Also there's no restrictions on the range (1-3) or arc requirement donut will be easy to assign. Points cost /trigger requirements dependent, it's still going to be a good condition. 

4 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Just a PSA, but you cannot put the VTG on the sf, as it lacks the requirements. 

Ah yes. Because it doesn’t have rotate arc as a basic action, only a linked action. Good spotting. 

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Yes, but if you dust your opponent's ships, they have to clean up the dust, if you dust your opponent, you have to clean up the dust.

And pack away their stuff.

It's a minimum-effort-required thing.

Yes, but dusting your opponent could really help in expanding your collection. :P

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Linked Batery sounds like an awful ability. 

I dunno. An extra die on cannons is no small beer; delivering a hit with an ion cannon is easy, delivering an ionizing hit (which needs at least 2 uncancelled damage, more for bigger ships, isn't - and the First Order currently has only one ship likely to have cannons - fielding them in multiples like ion turret Y-wings is not really feasible. Able to lob a 4 dice ion cannon (5 dice at range 1, I guess) means only one upsilon can realistically tazer even a large ship with a reinforce token, especially with P.O. Thanisson as a fallback option if you're one hit short of the ion effect.

I don't think it's worth it for jamming or tractor beams, but a heavy laser cannon is cheap and turns the centreline into a death sentence for unwary opponents.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, ObiWonka said:

Can't say I like Linked Battery. It already has a 4-dice primary and you still have to pay for a cannon...

I suspect Phasma will be 5 (2E) points. With PtL gone, every single ship won't be stressing itself every single round, though there are linked actions on a lot of ships now, but Mara always felt slightly sub-par at 3 (1E) points.

If what I've seen is true (and that TIE/Sf has rotate arc as a link on pretty much all of its actions) she could be useful.

I don´t know if I remember correctly - but i feel like I saw another product spread of the conversion box a while ago (some weeks). And I believe there they spoiled a little bit more of the Silencer. Is my mind playing tricks on me?

Do we know of the "ability" that the silencer will have? Or do we only know of Kylo and Blackout (IN5 now) and the dial (which is in front and lost the blue 3 bank)?

On 10/8/2018 at 12:36 PM, ObiWonka said:

Can't say I like Linked Battery. It already has a 4-dice primary and you still have to pay for a cannon...

Whether or not Linked Battery is good, I think it's mandatory for the Upsilon since it has a cannon slot (technically we don't know it has a cannon slot, but how could it not?).  If Upsilons had 3-dice Ion Cannons, they'd be failing extra hard if they used them.  Gaining an extra cannon die from Linked Battery simply brings the strength of a 3-dice cannon in line with the power of the 4-dice attack.  A TIE Defender or B-Wing can choose between 3 dice with full damage, or 3 dice which can deal out control tokens, or a bullseye cannon which gives it an extra die.  A 4-dice Upsilon needs an extra die on their cannons in order to make same trade-offs as any other cannon ship.

The other thing is that stacking dice kinda matters.  2e Ion Cannon is somewhat notorious for seldom doing more than a single damage, and often not inflicting any ion tokens at all.  Once you throw a 4th die, however, the chances of getting a 2nd or 3rd hit go up significantly.  Maybe this is necessary for the fairly lumbering Upsilon: open with ions, actually force many ships to take Ion moves, and then leverage your big guns.  When your opponent is stuck on 1-straights, that limits their advantage over your dial.