Sign in to follow this  
Raahk

"Free XP"-Cards

Mystic has arcane studies that grants upgradecost reduction.

Seeker hast shrewd analysis which (basically) halfes the cost for upgraded unidentified cards.

Rogues have Charon's Obol which gains you "free" XP (at an enormous risk).

So, what do you think? Will Guardians and Survivos also gain access to such a type of card and what would it look like?

A survivor card for example: 1 XP. permanent. when you aquire this card, gain one basic weakness. Effect: Once per game: After you exile a card, you may instead put it into your discard pile.

I cant figure out an example for guardians, since i dont really know what their theme is beside slashing at monsters with a machete

Edited by Raahk

Intriguing - I'd love a Guardian card that rewards xp once a scenario for defeating a Monster enemy, but I suspect that's close to Bury Them Deep already... maybe something that rewards them for taking hits? For healing?

As for Survivors - well, exile in itself in fact provides a little xp boost, because after you've exiled the card, you get a 'free' include to your deck to get it back to deck size. I've seen at least 1 player using exile as a way of changing the shape of their deck. They put in A Test of Will for 1xp to replace cards they don't like, cancel treacheries with AToW and then get to add in level 0 cards they wanted to include for 'free'. I appreciate it's a) slow and b) not really free... but exile does at least provide a modicum of adaptability in that way. Anything that made rebuying exile cards even cheaper or blocked exile would be super fun to use (and potentially incredibly powerful)...

1 hour ago, zooeyglass said:

As for Survivors - well, exile in itself in fact provides a little xp boost, because after you've exiled the card, you get a 'free' include to your deck to get it back to deck size.

I have also considered exile being a "hidden" XP boost but not due to the fact that you're gaining a free Lvl 0 card, but rather because exile cards are way stronger than they should be for their XP cost which is in some way a discount in and of itself. But considering the fact that you're spending XP over and over again for the same card, makes it appear less of a discount but rather a increase in cost.

As for guardians may be something along the lines of: Permanent. 1 XP. Weapons cost 1 XP less. Effect: (i am being uncreative here) add a random basic enemy weakness to your deck.

Edited by Raahk

2 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

Intriguing - I'd love a Guardian card that rewards xp once a scenario for defeating a Monster enemy, but I suspect that's close to Bury Them Deep already... maybe something that rewards them for taking hits? For healing?

As for Survivors - well, exile in itself in fact provides a little xp boost, because after you've exiled the card, you get a 'free' include to your deck to get it back to deck size. I've seen at least 1 player using exile as a way of changing the shape of their deck. They put in A Test of Will for 1xp to replace cards they don't like, cancel treacheries with AToW and then get to add in level 0 cards they wanted to include for 'free'. I appreciate it's a) slow and b) not really free... but exile does at least provide a modicum of adaptability in that way. Anything that made rebuying exile cards even cheaper or blocked exile would be super fun to use (and potentially incredibly powerful)...

For engaging an enemy engaged with another investigator and either defeating it or remaining engaged with it through the Enemy phase.

I like both the 'cheaper weapon' XP boost for Guardians and 'return to deck' Survivor XP boost ideas. I would not be surprised to see both of them included more or less exactly like this. 

Monster enemy slaying for Guardians would tie in into the monster trophies from the Arkham Horror board game. Though I'm not sure how it would work so as not to make it too close to Bury them Deep. Maybe more XP if you get XP from a monster anyway, or something along those lines? "Reaction: when you would add a monster enemy to the victory display, add "Taking Trophies" to the victory display as well"?

Fair point. They'd have to be a non-permanent talent then, which makes them weird.

Or a complicated work around, along the lines of "This comes into play with one resource on it. If a monster enemy is put into the victory display, put that resource on it. Monster enemies in the victory display with a resource on them are worth one more XP" or somesuch. 

How about an asset, Head-hunter, you play for 0 or 1 that reads:
REACTION when you defeat an enemy [or even Elite enemy], add one resource to this card, as a HEAD (limit once per round).
FORCED when Head-hunter has 3 heads on it, add it to the victory display.
Victory 1. 

All numbers subject to change based on elite/non-elite, play cost and so on. Something along the lines of racking up kills and that translating into vp. 

My take on Survivor:

The initial idea, but "remove it from the game instead of exiling it. Limit: once per game". Putting it in the discard pile might be too much in a survivor deck.

Also, a basic random weakness is a very high cost in itself. I would give XP instead of costing 1 for taking it.

My take on Guardian:

Taking damage is the speciality of Mark, investigating crime, Roland, chasing enemy, Zoey. The Guardian excel at taking one for the team, and they got a **** lot of weapon in their XP cards. So the weapon theme fit them better imo.

So, something like "When you spend XP to buy a weapon, you can buy a supply card worth the same XP for free. If an investigator is deafeated by an ennemy, add 1 random madness weakness to your deck"

I don't know, it seems to convenient.  Like giving XP for what you are going to do anyhow.  Like a card that gives XP to Mystics for playing spell cards.  Or Rogues for gaining resources.

I think its nice as a signature ability or asset, but not for a general one for Guardians.

keep in mind hat such a card should also have a severe downside. That's why i came up with the uncreative solution of adding an extra weakness to your deck. I think, in case of survivors this is very thematic since they always have that desperate feel to them

22 hours ago, Jobu said:

I don't know, it seems to convenient.  Like giving XP for what you are going to do anyhow.  Like a card that gives XP to Mystics for playing spell cards.  Or Rogues for gaining resources.

I think its nice as a signature ability or asset, but not for a general one for Guardians.

Right.  Delve makes you draw encounters; the Obol can outright kill you; Shrewd isn't so bad, just a chance that you might get the least good of several cards.  A Guardian version can be centered on defeating enemies but with a handicap.  Like an Event that's a Fight and disallows any boosts.  It needs more than that or it will just get used on easy enemies, but you get the idea.

Edited by CSerpent

Looking for Trouble

Level 0 Guardian Event

Cost: --

Spirit.

Revelation -- Reveal cards from the top of the encounter deck until an Enemy is revealed. Then, draw that card and attach Looking for Trouble to it. Shuffle the encounter deck.

Forced -- When attached enemy is defeated: Add Looking for Trouble to the victory display and gain two experience points.

I went with two XP (not VP; if it gave experience to the entire team, it would be ludicrous) because you're effectively trading a card for a weakness. You can hold on to Delve until the opportune moment (or even commit or discard it if the moment never comes), and Bury is basically free.

That said, I obviously don't have a horde of playtesters or anything; I'm just using the metric of "Would I personally either reject it out of hand or feel obligated to always take it?". I could see you reducing the reward or increasing the level (probably the latter, now that I think about it).