Sign in to follow this  
Nevetz

Han, Qira and Trick Shot sit on a locked stone.

41 minutes ago, MockingBird ME said:

@muppetfluffer what exactly "ignoring obstacles" means is not in question in this thread, the main issues has been a timing question; Qi'ra's ability says "while attacking" so there's debate over if "cannot attack at range 0 of a rock" takes effect before or while attacking. The former and she can't shoot off a rock, the latter and she can. 

See, now thats just plain trolling :)

exactly as the handle indicates.

sharpen your beak MOCKINGjay.

12 minutes ago, Muppetfluffer said:

I wasn't trolling, it sounded from your post like you'd jumped in without catching; I was just trying to give you the TLDR version of what had happened to date. 

I'm also not sure what my handle has to do with this or what the reference to "MOCKINGjay" is; care to explain? 

46 minutes ago, Muppetfluffer said:

He's not trolling, that's what the argument is about. When does 'Performing an Attack start and when does Qi'Ra's ability trigger. 

I assume you have some interesting insights in the exact timing on the Engagement Phase to share with us. 

soooo.... months after this thread was active, I'm still confused: are we still having this discussion or has the community come to a consensus based on big tournament rulings and/or has FFG given us a clear answer on the question and I missed both? Looking at the wording of the Outer Rim Pioneer in the Escape Craft, maybe the answer is that if they wanted Qi'ra to allow a ship to attack at range 0 of an obstacle they would have explicitely said so?

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Nothing has changed about this interaction.

I always read it as

"Since I'm on an asteroid, I cannot perform the attack as per the rules, thus, there is no possibility for Qi'ra to ignore the asteroid while performing the attack, as I'm not allowed to perform the attack in the first place"

I was surprised to learn people interpreted that differently only recently, but I do see why. I searched for an answer a few months ago, but didn't find this thread until now.

Easy fix. Something along the lines of (please do better language than I have here):

"a ship that overlaps an asteroid after completing a move gains a <brown_obstacle_cant_shoot> token" 

<brown_obstacle_cant_shoot> cannot be traded, spent or discarded.

<brown_obstacle_cant_shoot> is removed at the start of the assigned ships next activation.

(Orange tokens can be passed and removed by many effects, disarm can be ignored by several effects. New token is an environmental token. Brown. New design space, go nuts)

Outer Rim Pioneer

Before each friendly ship at range 0-1 engages, remove all <brown_obstacle_cant_shoot> tokens from them. 

Per page 10 of the rules reference, all ships engage, even if they cant attack.

Honestly we need some MtG tier wording, and I would love to have a solid timing chart.

All said and done I think this would make dash and qira able to sit on rocks and make attacks as they ignore the effect of the asteroid giving the brown token. Also makes landing struts easier maybe?

CURRENTLY, I dont think qira allows you to shoot while sitting on a rock, similar to dash. Unless ORP in the shuttle is close or docked.

Edited by Redd9

Something as simple as incorporating some of the wording of the Outer Rim Pioneer, which comes in the same pack, would have made things way easier:

ORP: Friendly ships at range 0-1 can perform attacks at range 0 of obstacles.

Qi'ra: While you move and perform attacks, you ignore obstacles that you are locking.

Text for Qi'ra could be: While you move and perform attacks, you ignore obstacles that you are locking. You can perform attacks at range 0 of obstacles that you are locking. 

Explicitely stating the rule you're breaking on the card, would have made things so much clearer...such a simple solution, one would almost think they didn't want us to attack while on a rock, even if you have it locked with Qi'ra on board... oh wait... 😉