Vykk Draygo

Organized Play going to a restricted list on Ships and upgrades?

2 hours ago, RStan said:

@Cgriffith it was meant to use a known Star Wars quote to convey that I believe it's all going to be fine in the end. Just to add some light heartedness into the conversation. 

Unfortunately it did come across (a condescending and snarky)that way. You’re not in a detention center, not Han Solo and not trying to rescue a Princess. These decisions may not affect you and other ultra competitive players but this game is bigger than the ultra competitive scene, and without the casual competitive players there wouldn’t  a game state like it is now.

Edited by Cgriffith
Context

I might regret trying to add something to this discussion, but here goes!

1) there are currently 2 formats: extended and 2.0 new releases only;

2) each event at the moment could be either format, with no real guidance for future events;

3) what Paul Heaver posted was that the 2.0 only format will change so that more ships and stuff will be allowed. (This is the opposite of restricting or banning stuff.) However, he also indicated that Hyperspace Trials are likely to be using this format;

4) many players are at least slightly autistic (myself included) and tend to have an emotional reaction to change of any type, with it feeling like an attack on us personally;

5) where is actual problem here?

That we will be able to use more of our ships than before? Or that Hyperspace Trials look like they won't be extended format?

As long as a proportion of other premier events are extended, and/or normal store events are sent guidance to use a good proportion of extended format, this is better than our previous state where we didn't know which format would be used for anything, and one of them was more restricted and would prevent use of FO or Resistance factions.

Or have people forgotten about the threads about FO only having one ship for 2.0?

10 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Are you not allowed to officially buy 1.0 ships and conversion kits from your LGS because you’re a new player?

1.0 stock is already scarce, in 6 months time there'll be very little left to buy even if you want to. Which means with all the will in the world new players cannot buy them from their LGS.

8 minutes ago, Max Teranous said:

1.0 stock is already scarce, in 6 months time there'll be very little left to buy even if you want to. Which means with all the will in the world new players cannot buy them from their LGS.

This.  I know a lot of players who are desperate to hunt down a HWK and just can't, and I bought up the last 2 Quadjumpers.  Not seen a Z-95 in the wild for a year.

The old stuff just isn't around unless you happen to live near a big hub gaming store.

Alright @Cgriffith, lets get serious then, no more "light hearted attempts or fun" time. Mind addressing or answering the question I asked before or what was said by @Gilarius ? I feel like there are some solid points brought up that should been discussed further or at least responded by others who are concerned with Organized Play and the formats. 

1. We don't know how "limited" it's going to be at all yet. My guess is limited so it's all balanced with the First Order and Resistance factions which to me is the "bar" to balance to. Why is that a bad thing (especially with how big Scum could get)?

6 hours ago, Gilarius said:

1) there are currently 2 formats: extended and 2.0 new releases only;

2) each event at the moment could be either format, with no real guidance for future events;

3) what Paul Heaver posted was that the 2.0 only format will change so that more ships and stuff will be allowed. (This is the opposite of restricting or banning stuff.) However, he also indicated that Hyperspace Trials are likely to be using this format;

4) many players are at least slightly autistic (myself included) and tend to have an emotional reaction to change of any type, with it feeling like an attack on us personally;

5) where is actual problem here?

That we will be able to use more of our ships than before? Or that Hyperspace Trials look like they won't be extended format?

As long as a proportion of other premier events are extended, and/or normal store events are sent guidance to use a good proportion of extended format, this is better than our previous state where we didn't know which format would be used for anything, and one of them was more restricted and would prevent use of FO or Resistance factions.

Or have people forgotten about the threads about FO only having one ship for 2.0?

Edited by RStan

6 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I like the idea. My prediction is that movie-ships will be always availiable and the rest of the ship selection steadily grown so the factions aren't too unbalanced in their choice. While growing the pool, wierd EU ships may phase in and out.

Agree. If they were to eliminate the film ships it would kill the game, not giving players the option to fly their favorite characters in there ships would be a death blow to the game.  Isn’t that part of the draw in itself? Just look at the anticipation for New Republic/CIS. 

2 hours ago, RStan said:

Alright @Cgriffith, lets get serious then, no more "light hearted attempts or fun" time. Mind addressing or answering the question I asked before or what was said by @Gilarius ? I feel like there are some solid points brought up that should been discussed further or at least responded by others who are concerned with Organized Play and the formats. 

Well the what I saw posted was that they were going to a list of available ships and upgrades. Points would be addressed twice a year and ships and upgrades would be added to the list and ships and upgrades would be removed from the list. 

I could be wrong but but that seems pretty cut and dried what the plans are moving forward with organized play. There was no mention of what ships only that twice a year ships and upgrades will be added to the tournament legal list, and ships and upgrades would be removed from the tournament legal list. 

42 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Agree. If they were to eliminate the film ships it would kill the game, not giving players the option to fly their favorite characters in there ships would be a death blow to the game.  Isn’t that part of the draw in itself? Just look at the anticipation for New Republic/CIS. 

I think "death blow" is pretty melodramatic.

You can still fly your movie heroes at home or in Extended tournaments if they are not available. Plus, pretty sure most of them are already re-released and the format is "2.0 re-release+"

35 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I could be wrong but but that seems pretty cut and dried what the plans are moving forward with organized play. There was no mention of what ships only that twice a year ships and upgrades will be added to the tournament legal list, and ships and upgrades would be removed from the tournament legal list. 

Correct. So why are there many people feeling this is catastrophic when we don't have details yet of anything beyond that broad stroke of information? As cut and dry as it's written in the article, it still doesn't go over the details of what is even not going to be part of the hyperspace format.

I believe that "the bar" of balance is the performance of the Resistance and First Order, not specifically the ship count. FFG has already spoken to making the Resistance and FO ships more versatile (look at T70 Weapon Hardpoints and TIE S/F action bar) which leads to the value per ship type for Resistance and FO to be higher than other factions in terms of what the developers are balancing around. I wouldn't be concerned about the movie ships, it's more likely to be non-movie ships that get excluded for a season of play. 

3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

its painful not knowing what the ship restrictions will be. the news is giving me a sizeable reason not to invest in 2.0 until the dust settles and i know whats tournament legal and whats not.

It actually clears that up, because there's no guarantees going forwards for anything.  Anything you buy one week could be non-legal the next, and the thing you didn't buy could become legal.

I'm trying to write my buying guide and the format thing is complicating it.  Just buy what you want.

Edited by SOTL

25 minutes ago, SOTL said:

It actually clears that up, because there's no guarantees going forwards for anything.  Anything you buy one week could be non-legal the next, and the thing you didn't buy could become legal.

I'm trying to write my buying guide and the format thing is complicating it.  Just buy what you want.

im a scum player. im waiting for FFG to release the HWK-290 as a separate ship so i can get the Moldy Crow title wout having to buy the Rebel conversion kit. pretty gutted they didnt include it in the scum conversion kit.

19 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

im a scum player. im waiting for FFG to release the HWK-290 as a separate ship so i can get the Moldy Crow title wout having to buy the Rebel conversion kit. pretty gutted they didnt include it in the scum conversion kit.

That's probably a loooooooong wait, because I think something that's EU-only like the HWK is probably a good bet to be on the list of ships that won't be getting rereleased or supported in the new format.

If you want to play Moldy Crow I'd get on ebay.

4 minutes ago, SOTL said:

That's probably a loooooooong wait, because I think something that's EU-only like the HWK is probably a good bet to be on the list of ships that won't be getting rereleased or supported in the new format.

If you want to play Moldy Crow I'd get on ebay.

my local community will hopefully help out there. im in no hurry. can always borrow a copy for any tournaments i attend at least initially. or ill just play squads that the scum kit allow me too. 

26 minutes ago, SOTL said:

The HWK is actually in the new canon, both via the Star Wars: Commander mobile game, and more importantly having appeared in the Kanan comic.

latest?cb=20160401120119

Edited by Jarval

6 hours ago, SOTL said:

I like that FFG has (mostly) created a situation where you only really need to buy one faction, especially since I was pretty much Imperial-Only in 1.0.

On the downside, you also really need to buy everything in at least one faction, and can't just pick your favorite couple of ships. I recently took the plunge and pretty much finished off my Imperial conversion kit on Amazon before 1.0 stock dried up.