Sign in to follow this  
Marzaums

Regionals kit speculation

On 10/16/2018 at 1:36 PM, Hawkwing said:

Someone actually bought it :OOO

Never underestimate sock-puppet accounts driving up the prices of rare items by giving the impression of interest and high bids... ;)

That said, you Armada folks are crazy when it comes to buying prizes.  For the past four years, I've sold all of  my X-Wing and Armada prize support right after I've won it, and despite there being like twenty X-Wing players for every Armada player, the Armada items always sell for so much more than X-Wing stuff ever does.  I think it's a result of Armada being a 'rich man's game,' generally, and that desperate Armada fans have so little new product to spend their money on that they have more would-be funds available to buy FFG prize support, because it's the closest thing to a new product release they can get at the time.

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Never underestimate sock-puppet accounts driving up the prices of rare items by giving the impression of interest and high bids... ;)

That said, you Armada folks are crazy when it comes to buying prizes.  For the past four years, I've sold all of  my X-Wing and Armada prize support right after I've won it, and despite there being like twenty X-Wing players for every Armada player, the Armada items always sell for so much more than X-Wing stuff ever does.  I think it's a result of Armada being a 'rich man's game,' generally, and that desperate Armada fans have so little new product to spend their money on that they have more would-be funds available to buy FFG prize support, because it's the closest thing to a new product release they can get at the time.

I think some of your theories are spot on.  I disagree about some presumptions however.  First there are way more X-Wing tournaments to Armada tournaments.  That just makes Armada prize support more rare, some areas don't even get Armada quarterlies so the secondary market is the only way for some Armada players to get some items.  There are far more X-wing tournaments making getting that prize support easier.  

I also highly disagree that Armada is a "Rich man's game".  Sure our biggest ships cost far more than non-epic X-wing ships but we also have far fewer waves to try and collect so the over all cost is similar if not less on average for Armada.

Now the argument that we have more disposable income to spend because we have fewer releases, I can't disagree with that.  X-Wing has a new release every couple months it seems.  Armada is now less than one wave of 2 ships max a year.  For some of us the prize support is the only thing for us to spend money on if we don't play other games.  That point is completely valid.

Personally I am to the point that there is nothing for me to spend money on at my FLGS when it comes to Armada.  I will preorder the SSD then bam, right back to where I was with nothing to buy.

(Hear that FFG, I want to spend money on your game but currently there is nothing thanks to your release schedule.)

1 hour ago, Thrindal said:

I also highly disagree that Armada is a "Rich man's game".  Sure our biggest ships cost far more than non-epic X-wing ships but we also have far fewer waves to try and collect so the over all cost is similar if not less on average for Armada.

Your latter point is true, of course, but I'm thinking more about the origins of the game.  When Armada started, it's my experience that most people who picked up the game were already playing X-Wing (there are exceptions, but generally I'm pretty confident this is true).  This meant most Armada players had to be in a position to start a second FFG miniature game.  I heard a lot of folks go "Oh, Armada looks sooo cool... but I can't justify a second Star Wars space game..."

Secondarily, there is an impression (whether it's right or wrong) that Armada costs more to play than X-Wing.  The Core Set being $100 vs X-Wing's $40 is a big part of this (especially since unlike with X-Wing, it's impossible to get buy without getting a core set -- you need that damage deck and those objectives and obstacles... yet the Neb-B, Victory, Tarkin, TIEs, and X-Wings in the Core Set are all pretty value-less, especially since the Yavaris title is in the Neb-Pack, making the Armada Core an expensive and not very helpful starting point).  It's also the case that, especially early in the game's life, it was pretty expensive to build up a 400pt fleet that was seen as "good."  Triple Assault Frigates ran you $120 alone, and they were often paired with spammed A-Wings (which were $20 a pair).  Rhymer Fireballs were also super popular, as were "pirahana swarms" of YT-2400s, each costing $20 (more than a small ship in X-Wing).  In Armada, buying ships for upgrades or commanders is also very expensive, as TRC used to be $30 a pop, so a TRC CR90 swarm cost X*(50) where X = the number of CR90s you wanted. 

Granted, recently these issues have been mitigated.  Squadrons, especially spammed A-Wings, Firesprays, or YT-2400s have become far less potent.  Also, FFGOP has done a decent job in the past few years of making those chase upgrades prize cards.  It's also the case that the speed of new releases to keep up with has ground to a near standstill.  So, looking at the past year or two, I agree that Armada is super cheap in comparison to a game like X-Wing.  However, this was certainly not the case in the early waves of the game's life, especially since players jumping into head-first tended to also be doing it as a second miniatures game.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Secondarily, there is an impression (whether it's right or wrong) that Armada costs more to play than X-Wing.

Granted, recently these issues have been mitigated.

Both of these are true. The real issue that Armada has is removing that stigma of being more expensive. Once people get that in their mind it's a bear to remove it. It's just a first impression.

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

You obviously aren't counting the folks that sold their Xwing stuff for more Armada expansions after playing their first games!

Darn, if only I had explicitly used caveats like "tend to," "generally speaking," "most people," and "there are exceptions, of course"

... oh, no, wait I did.  :P

21 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Darn, if only I had explicitly used caveats like "tend to," "generally speaking," "most people," and "there are exceptions, of course"

... oh, no, wait I did.  :P

Ha! I just checked and you never used "tend to"! CHECKMATE.

not being serious 

Edited by TallGiraffe