Sign in to follow this  
Greedo_Sharpshooter

Just how good is Jakku Gunrunner?

28pts seems really good value. I am seeing this guy drop into a few scum lists recently. Is playing one actually good. He can block and disrupt small ships. not likely to be the primary target of your opponent which makes him quite viable, even as a filler ship. thoughts?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

One squad that I saw on stream and made the second day:

Escape Craft - •L3-37 - 24
    •L3-37 - Droid Revolutionary (22)
        Tactical Officer (2)

Z-95-AF4 Headhunter - Binayre Pirate - 24
    Binayre Pirate - (24)

Binayre Pirate - (24)

Quadrijet Transfer Spacetug - Jakku Gunrunner - 28
    Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - •Drea Renthal - 44
    •Drea Renthal - Pirate Lord (40)
        Dorsal Turret (4)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

This isn't quite right, as I didn't include Boba crew. But you get the idea.

Edited by Q10fanatic
Correction.

26 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

I believe it was Beckett on L3 instead of tac officer and boba was on a gunrunner. Mandatory upgrades were for free at the event so the points work.

I think I prefer tac officer anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

Tactical Officer (2)

Binayre Pirate - (24)

Binayre Pirate - (24)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Dorsal Turret (4)

The match I watched was that squad Vs. Blair's Z-Swarm. Did really well. (the quads)

1 hour ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

This ship is really growing on me. Any squad lists uv spotted in particular?

Here in the SF Bay Area people are running the Drea Swarm (Drea Renthal with Dorsal Turret, 2 Jakku GR and 4 Binayre Pirates) and doing very well with it.

They are pretty amazing control pieces. Their dial is also pretty bonkers. A TON of moves. At initiative 1 they mostly have perfect info to bully other ships. Or your own. Sometimes TB'ing your ship out of a block isn't so bad either. 

From the grumbling at the next table over at the FLGS today, Jakku Gunrunners are pretty good.   Someone (I'm not snitch tagging!) was flying three of them along with two Kimogilas (a generic and Dalan Oberos) each with R3 and Proton Torpedoes.  His observation is that three of them is kind of critical mass Quadjumpers.  Sorry.  Quadrijet Spacetugs.  One can be dealt with.  Two, getting better.  With three?  Your opponent has to play your game, rather than their own plan.  He was yanking his opponent's ARCs and U-Wing all over the place, in part because the bullseye is going to be easier to line up on medium or large base ships.

*additional* also probably hard to counter with Trajectory Simulator bomb launches.  Dial in a 3-reverse when you think they'll throw their bombs

Edited by theBitterFig

29 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

From the grumbling at the next table over at the FLGS today, Jakku Gunrunners are pretty good.   Someone (I'm not snitch tagging!) was flying three of them along with two Kimogilas (a generic and Dalan Oberos) each with R3 and Proton Torpedoes.  His observation is that three of them is kind of critical mass Quadjumpers.  Sorry.  Quadrijet Spacetugs.  One can be dealt with.  Two, getting better.  With three?  Your opponent has to play your game, rather than their own plan.  He was yanking his opponent's ARCs and U-Wing all over the place, in part because the bullseye is going to be easier to line up on medium or large base ships.

They laughed when I bought 3 Quadjumpers! who's laughing now?!?!?

Been running a similar list. I've won 75% of my matches with the below ships, but slowly evolving the upgrades/pilots. Shredded Boba/Guri a few times. I love Quads, but they usually die quickly. Cloaked with no tokens means they may last an extra round. 1st round, swap the Cloaking Device and Deadman's Switch. 2nd round, swap the Cloaking Device and the Rigged Cargo Chute. Quads get to stay cloaked for shenanigans. The Escape Craft has been vital as it allows a Quad to take the barrel roll action and get a coordinated Spacetug Tractor Array. I don't care much about landing the Quads on a rock with maneuvers since a coordinated action still works and if the Escape Craft is close enough they can still shoot.

Favorite tactic: Drop a loose cargo token with Unkar when I am fairly certain he will be bumped (I try to bank or turn for his move so they land on his side). Since I get to choose the order the tractor tokens are placed, I barrel roll (or boost if they did in fact land on his side) Unkar out of way and try to barrel roll/boost the ship onto the loose cargo or ensure they will overlap it next move. Sometimes, I choose a boost/barrel roll Unkar cannot complete to leave him parked in place.

Bonus tractor tokens: Unkar giving a tractor as an action and then a bump token pays off when dealing with medium bases or the double tractor and a bump is pretty easy to pull off against large bases. Hello rocko!

Bonus tactics: Keep the Quads behind the Kimos in bulleye, tractor them both forward. Coordinate a focus to one of the Kimos. Kimos both 4 K when not expected. Or tractor a barrel roll on a Kimo, coordinate a red barrel roll on same Kimo, and finish with a blue maneuver pretty far from where it started the turn.

My favorite Unkar shenanigan to date: Decloaked forward, hard 1, dropped loose cargo, received a coordinated barrel roll, blocked enemy ship on the loose cargo token, barrel rolled it over the loose cargo token, and landed it on a rock. The guy was lucky and rolled no obstacle damage. It was tokenless at range one of Torani though. Next round, dropped a seismic with Unkar and blocked/ bumped 3 high PS TIEs with the second Kimo which had 1 hull left and a Deadman's switch at range one of the cargo...

(My next iteration may see the removal of one Seismic charge and changing the Jakku to Sarco.)

ROCK 'n' ROLLAS

Outer Rim Pioneer

Tactical Officer  
Ship Total: 26

Jakku Gunrunner  
Cikatro Vizago  
Seismic Charges  
Cloaking Device  
Ship Total: 38

Unkar Plutt  
0-0-0  
Seismic Charges  
Deadman's Switch  
Ship Total: 38

Torani Kulda  
Ship Total: 50

Cartel Executioner  
Rigged Cargo Chute  
Ship Total: 48
Edited by Kilrex

The issue is that it's arguably the first ship where the generic is worth more than the named pilots. Remove the tech slot and give it a 4 point price increase and it's about right, but then you basically ensure the named pilots will never, ever see play. 

The ship is equitable to the utility value and cost of the tie bomber for imperials and the sheathipede for Rebels. It's a good craft that suits scum and serves a role. Large ships like Dash, Han and Lancers basically don't care about it and melt them fast. Squads that skirt the outside perimeter figure them out fast. I easily beat a Rhea + 5 quads a few weeks ago with 5 Cartel Marauders. Stayed on the far outside lane, barrel rolled into single file, and when they came in, wrecked their faces. Initiative 2 and higher swarms can peel 1 off a round if flown properly. Plus, trajectory Simulator destroys their approach vectors. 

4 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

This thing has to go way up in points.  Especially the strongest pilot, the Gunrunner.

I think they’re already looking at it.  Alex said, “ They’re a bargain right now,” which seems to mean they won’t be for long.

9 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

Tactical Officer (2)

Binayre Pirate - (24)

Binayre Pirate - (24)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Jakku Gunrunner - (28)

Dorsal Turret (4)

No way... i played almost the same list yesterday! Against three imperial aces, they've  just melted!

10 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

28pts seems really good value. I am seeing this guy drop into a few scum lists recently. Is playing one actually good. He can block and disrupt small ships. not likely to be the primary target of your opponent which makes him quite viable, even as a filler ship. thoughts?

Can tractor medium ships if they are in the bulls eye arc if I am reading the ability right. Also for 28 points they are also something for the enemy to kill or they are too annoying to ignore, gives your aces a bit of extra time.

7 hours ago, Cloaker said:

The issue is that it's arguably the first ship where the generic is worth more than the named pilots. Remove the tech slot and give it a 4 point price increase and it's about right, but then you basically ensure the named pilots will never, ever see play. 

They can raise just the gunrunner even 1 point, if they want to, though. I just think seven is too many of one ship when it’s tractor array’s power is exponential.

Edited by SpiderMana
Typo

Almost every Scum list I flew in 1.0 had a Quad on it. Usually 2 though. In 2.0 the quads are less effective at getting damage on ships when multiple quads are flown since the agility can only be decreased by a max of 1. Unlike 1.0, there is no wording that only the first tractor token moves the ship, leading to the ability to move a ship multiple times.

4 minutes ago, Kilrex said:

Almost every Scum list I flew in 1.0 had a Quad on it. Usually 2 though. In 2.0 the quads are less effective at getting damage on ships when multiple quads are flown since the agility can only be decreased by a max of 1. Unlike 1.0, there is no wording that only the first tractor token moves the ship, leading to the ability to move a ship multiple times.

One ship can only once become Tractored. You only apply effect when a ship becomes Tractored. So it's once per round.