Niro750

Noob 1st game questions

Hi guys. Played my first full game with the Mrs today and we had some fun (although I was doing the whole stop to read the manual a fair bit) we found a few sticking points and I would like to use this thread to ask (I could only find 1.0 answers)  

1. Was 1.0 100 pt games and 2.0 is 200 PTS standard?

2. I've landed on or half on a debris pile, can I still take a focus action and if I attack while on the debris does the defender of the attack  always get to roll an extra defence die? Or would it depend if the closest point of my ship is off the debris?

3. Night beast fully executed a blue manoeuvre but Landed on a debris field. As it was debris and not an asteroid the ship finished on we assumed he was allowed the bonus focus action his card text allows. Was this correct? 

4. I was allowed (in the app) to add the fire control upgrade to the lambda class shuttle... It can't actually perform a lock so I didn't realise until we had started and therefore couldn't change and had a useless mod equipped all game. Did I miss something obvious!?

5. Night beast card text: "after you fully perform a blue manoeuvre you may perform a focus action". What is the proper use of this? Are you only allowed to add an extra focus token to your ship? Does that mean you can have 2 focus tokens so one could be used for defence and one for attack? Or you can take an evade token for your normal action and then a focus token usong the card text or does it mean you could perform another action in general such as performing 2 barrel rolls? (I feel I've started to answer my own question here now but I'm just not 100% sure!)

Thanks and I hope I'm not being too confusing!

Hello and welcome!

1. Correct. Increasing to 200 points for 2E allows FFG more granularity in costs.

2.  Landing on debris gives you a stress token, and you can't take actions while stressed. You measure the attack as normal, and if you draw the line of fire across any part of the debris, it is obstructed.

3. I'm not 100% sure on the timing. But if you get the stress first, you can't get the focus, because it's "perform an action" which again you can't do while stressed.

4. Just because a ship can equip an upgrade doesn't mean it should.

5. Again, Night Beast is "perform an action" and you can't perform the same action twice in the same round. So there's no way for Night Beast herself to get two Focus tokens. She could, however, get a Focus from her ability and take an Evade or Barrel Roll for her normal action.

11 minutes ago, Niro750 said:

Hi guys. Played my first full game with the Mrs today and we had some fun (although I was doing the whole stop to read the manual a fair bit) we found a few sticking points and I would like to use this thread to ask (I could only find 1.0 answers)  

1. Was 1.0 100 pt games and 2.0 is 200 PTS standard?

2. I've landed on or half on a debris pile, can I still take a focus action and if I attack while on the debris does the defender of the attack  always get to roll an extra defence die? Or would it depend if the closest point of my ship is off the debris?

3. Night beast fully executed a blue manoeuvre but Landed on a debris field. As it was debris and not an asteroid the ship finished on we assumed he was allowed the bonus focus action his card text allows. Was this correct? 

4. I was allowed (in the app) to add the fire control upgrade to the lambda class shuttle... It can't actually perform a lock so I didn't realise until we had started and therefore couldn't change and had a useless mod equipped all game. Did I miss something obvious!?

5. Night beast card text: "after you fully perform a blue manoeuvre you may perform a focus action". What is the proper use of this? Are you only allowed to add an extra focus token to your ship? Does that mean you can have 2 focus tokens so one could be used for defence and one for attack? Or you can take an evade token for your normal action and then a focus token usong the card text or does it mean you could perform another action in general such as performing 2 barrel rolls? (I feel I've started to answer my own question here now but I'm just not 100% sure!)

Thanks and I hope I'm not being too confusing!

1. Yes

2. Landing on debris gives you a stress, so you can't take an action. On debris you can still attack (unlike asteroids; ships on asteroids can't attack). The defender only gets an extra die if the attack is obstructed (draw a line between the closest points of the attacker and the defender, but only in the firing arc; if it crosses debris the attack is obstructed).

3. Debris gives you a stress, which would prevent Night Beast from taking his free action. Bizarrely, if it had been an asteroid, he would have been fine; asteroids force you to skip your Perform Action step, but they do not prevent you from actually doing actions. This means that a ship on a rock could still be the recipient of an action via Coordinate, for example.

4. Fire Control System doesn't require you to have the Lock action to equip it, so just be careful and make sure when you do equip it that your ship has some way to get locks. (There are some other ways to get locks.)

5. A ship can only perform any given action once per turn. So after Night Beast executes a blue maneuver, he gets a free focus action, and then he may perform a different action. He can't double focus, but he can evade or barrel roll as well as focus.

Hope this helps!

1. In 2.0 the point limit for a standard game is 200.  This is double from what was allowed in 1.0

2. Landing on debris means that you take a stress token after the checknpilot stress step and then roll an attack die.  On a critical result you suffer one critical damage.  

Having the stress token generally means you cannot perform an action.

Additional dice on defense does depend on the closest point to closest point intersecting and obstacle.

3. Not correct, see above

4. No you didnt miss anything, it is a useless upgrade without the lambda taking crew like director krennic to gain the target lock action.

5. Each ship can only perform one of an action each turn, so if you perform the focus action you can’t focus again.  For night beast his extra action is only ever focus, so you’ll always want to evade or barrel roll before performing your free focus.

Thanks all, the mistake I made with the debris was that we had been playing the asteroid and debris stress backwards. Maybe being out on the town last night played a part! Hangover! 

Excellent help, cheers again!

If you will, I would like a little clarity on director krennic as I will use him to crush mrs rebel scum tomorrow night... (Probably get my *** handed to me)

I'm not seeing a huge benefit to him, I plan on having him as crew in the lambda shuttle and applying the OP token to an advanced tie in my squad. I assume the krennic card allows my shuttle to acquire the lock described in the card but what's the real benefit over a normal attack with the advanced? Why would you spend a crit in any instance or a hit if the ship has shields?the defender wouldn't have a damage card to flip if he had shields in almost any circumstance (unless he regenerated a shield after taking some hits/ crits with no shield). If you spend a hit to lose a shield you are achieving nothing. If you use a crit to flip a damage card you might manage to make his life slightly more difficult depending on the text but you are going to make him take a face up card with a crit anyway and using a hit to flip a damage card  may just cause a little more hassle  to the defender.

I can see why you would spend a focus result to take out a shield or flip a damage card though.

What am I missing!!!! ?

default card

That target lock symbol on Krennic means he adds the Lock action to the action bar of the ship he is equipped to, so yes he can get locks.

As far as Optimized Protype:

1) As you mentioned, you can spend an [eyeball] result to take off a shield, which is a free hit if you don't have a focus token or don't want to spend it.

2) You spend results before your opponent rolls defense dice (spending a die is a modification, same as rerolling or changing a result), so if your opponent has shields, a spent result is guaranteed damage regardless of your opponent's green dice.

Whether or not you want to spend a hit to flip up a facedown card is situational. In most scenarios you will probably want the hit, but not always.

Edited by nexttwelveexits

You can spend the hit before the opponent cancels it with his evade dies. Say you only get 1 hit against a target that has several green dice and maybe an evade token. There is no way you could normally do damage, but with Krennic you can.

Edited by mcgreag

2 minutes ago, Niro750 said:

Lovely, those are a couple of perfect explanations for a question I found it hard to put into words.

Thanks guys. The friendly help on this forum is excellent

Happy pew pews. Sorry but im rooting for your scummy wife though ;)

15 minutes ago, TBot said:

Happy pew pews. Sorry but im rooting for your scummy wife though ;)

Haha, even if she wins, she will be punished! Now where is that Leia bikini outfit available for her to play in character ???