Blutsteigen

Artwork -- how do you feel about it?

I'm pleased to see some players like the art (from what we can gather not in-hand @Palpster). I think the illustration and color fits the theme fairly well, especially considering combat is a

secondary aspect in Keyforge.

I'm not overly crazy about the artwork, but I asked because a  number of TCG players in my area are not keen with it.

I wanted to gauge if the criticism is a bit  of "it's not magic art," vs. a collective impression.

1 hour ago, Blutsteigen said:

I wanted to gauge if the criticism is a bit  of "it's not magic art," vs. a collective impression.

It compares to the Kaja and Phil Foglio art in early M:tG sets.

And more to the point, this isn't going to be a game for everyone. Which is true of all games, actually. But it's really not likely to pull in many of the truly dedicated Magic players, as it's a different game philosophy, diametrically opposed to the current M:tG culture.

And it's only appropriate that the art for this game fits that way.

I can't say much about the art as I don't have the game in hand. Can anyone with more hands on experience let me know if there are differences in colour use and style between houses? It would be great if houses can be identified by their art.

8 hours ago, dirtmuncher said:

I can't say much about the art as I don't have the game in hand. Can anyone with more hands on experience let me know if there are differences in colour use and style between houses? It would be great if houses can be identified by their art.

Brobnar tends toward red and orange, Dis more purple, Logos blue, Mars green, Sanctum yellow, Shadows grey, and Untamed green, generally...

I think it's dynamic, engaging, and (mostly) clear, and enjoy the fun-loving aspect of it.

I think with more serious artwork it could get very dark very quickly, so prefer it this way.

It's fine. Perfect for the game but didn't sell me on the game, the gameplay did. 

Conversely...I kept myself in check bc I don't have anyone to play it with and I don't love the gameplay from what I watched, but the artwork/card templates on L5R single handedly had my finger on the buy it now button. 

On 10/16/2018 at 6:26 PM, JohnGarrison1870 said:

The art quality of the art is great, and a good fit for the theme and mechanics.

The art style is a turn-off for me though. It suggests too casual a feel for what I want in a game.

So what your saying is the art correctly is steering you away from something you probably wouldn't enjoy?

I'm into the game for the gameplay - the art didn't stand out at first - but as I've dove in a bit more I love it. Especially what it conveys in regards to the theme and the gameplay. My only complaint is with some of the character cards being drawn with similar proportions/poses/styles, making them harder to tell apart. The worst offenders are Brobnar and Sanctum. If you look at the details there is a lot of cool things going on, but in profile from across the table it's just a wave of yellow or a wave of orange. It's still leagues better than warhammer champions, in which I have to read every card every time because the art says nothing to me.

@saluk64007 That touches on an interesting point, being that we'll probably not have access to all the cards. So in other games where you slowly learn to spot cards by the art here we may have a bit of a struggle. I wonder if table etiquette will just have to have us play a card and go through it as we play it?

4 hours ago, Amanal said:

@saluk64007 That touches on an interesting point, being that we'll probably not have access to all the cards. So in other games where you slowly learn to spot cards by the art here we may have a bit of a struggle. I wonder if table etiquette will just have to have us play a card and go through it as we play it?

If I don't know what a card does I'll ask my opponent if I can see it, same as in any other card game.  It'll just happen more than in any other game, because more different cards will be played than in other games.

I think the art is absolutely incredible. Not only is it well done, it connects the smashed up theme quite well. It also allows the over-top absurd nature of the game's theme to come through even more. I've been wanting a good game with art like this for awhile. For those that do not like the art, the whole game and concept probably isn't for them. It's suppose to be cartoony and absurd as the craziness of the game release format wants to embrace that.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:45 PM, saluk64007 said:

So what your saying is the art correctly is steering you away from something you probably wouldn't enjoy?

Yes, and that's a plus for this game. I wasn't trying to bash it.

After playing some demo games I do think it's a very solid, clever game, despite not being the style of game mechanics that I personally prefer. I suspect it will perform okay as a product, though I am not sure how well the non-collectable nature of it will translate into steady sales. It's a strong foray into this new world of "unique" games though, so I wish it well.

The art is really, really well done. It's really high-quality, zany, over-the-top awesomeness. But if they are trying to turn this into a whole world with fiction, and an RPG, and multiple games, and all that stuff...um yeah no. This is super casual art. This is not "build a universe" art.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, Supertoe said:

The art is really, really well done. It's really high-quality, zany, over-the-top awesomeness. But if they are trying to turn this into a whole world with fiction, and an RPG, and multiple games, and all that stuff...um yeah no. This is super casual art. This is not "build a universe" art.

In your opinion...

Played a demo game of it today. Seems promising. The overall board look was pleasant and the game play was fast and fun.

I'll probably end up playing it. Which is saying something since I was pretty bloody skeptical and disinterested in it at first.

The game reminds me a lot, thematically and aesthetically, of the ill-fated Wildstar MMO (which is nice, since I loved that game's theme, if not the game itself).

Edited by Deathseed