Sign in to follow this  
Veve7

Most damage/ ammo possible

Posted (edited)

This is a thought experiment. With at most 2 actions ( but only one Fight action) what is the most damage you can get?  can it be guaranteed? How about the maximum ammo? Assume 4 players.

Edited by Veve7

Right. So, I'm tempted to say: Shotgun, Seal of the Elder Sign, Double or Nothing, Vicious Blow. 

So, let's say we have Zoey Samaras, since she can take Double or Nothing and, why not, Father Matteo, for the Elder Sign. Then, a vicious blow, and... not sure if there's anything else. A skill booster too, since that check might get very high. 

Oh. Well, no free triggers makes this considerably harder, of course. And it almost certainly won't be guaranteed, if you can't buff your check or play fast cards. Then, we're probably looking at around 3 or 4 damage, surely. 

Posted (edited)

It depends a lot on whether you can use Fast cards or not. Given the 2 action limitation, I'm assuming that all investigators' play areas are clear. In fact I'll assume standard setup: 5 cards and 5 resources per investigator. For absolute maximum damage I think we need 4 investigators capable of taking Vicious Blow [2]. Zoey is the fighter because her Elder Sign effect increases damage.

Action 1: Zoey plays M1918 BAR. Action 2: Zoey uses fight action of M1918 BAR and spends 5 ammo. She commits two copies of Vicious Blow [2], Double or Nothing and Zoey's Cross. Each other investigator commits a copy of Vicious Blow [2]. Net result: Zoey takes a skill check at 4 (base) + 5 (M1918 BAR) + 10 (5x Vicious Blow [2]) + 3 (Zoey's Cross) = 22 vs twice the combat value of the enemy. Success by two or more yields 2x(5+5x2) = 30 damage, success by one or hitting the target number exactly yields 2x(5+5) = 20 damage. If the elder sign is drawn then these values increase by 1 because of Zoey's elder sign effect (does Double or Nothing double this? I'm not sure). However, success is not guaranteed because of the auto-fail token.

To absolutely guarantee success, essentially assuming an enemy with a combat value of infinity, then the best I can do off the top of my head is Wendy + mystic + two guardians. Wendy is the fighter!

Action 1: Wendy plays Wendy's Amulet. Action 2: Wendy punches Azathoth. Wendy commits Double or Nothing. Mystic commits Seal of the Elder Sign. Each guardian commits Vicious Blow [2]. Skill check is 1 (base) + 1 (Seal of the Elder Sign) + 4 (2x Vicious Blow [2]) vs 0 (automatic success because of elder sign token + Wendy's Amulet). Damage is 2x(1+2x2) = 10 damage. Unfortunately Azathoth also has infinite health. Azathoth destroys all of creation in the Enemy Phase.

I suppose you could do better with Father Mateo as the fighter playing a Knife then committing Seal of the Elder Sign himself, with other investigators supplying 2x Vicious Blow [2] and Double or Nothing. This nets 2x(1+1+2x2) = 12 damage, but honestly I think it is funnier with Wendy.

Edited by Assussanni
Added Father Mateo example.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, you can use free triggers(my bad) setup, you have infinite resources, how many cards you want. I only wanted to say that the damages that count are from only one attack, for example Cross will not gve +1 damage that counts.

Edited by Veve7

Posted (edited)

Alright. THen we're back to a five damage weapon, as many copies as possible of Vicious Blow 2, double or Nothing and Seal of the Elder Sign. 

A few more sources of bonus damage:

Custom Ammunition, if it's a Monster: +1

With the first action, evade the creature with Hatchet Man: +1 

Zoey Samaras, elder sign: +1

Mark Harrigan, commits The Home Front: +1 

That's all I can think of. And of course they arne't all compatible. But I think my current bet is:

Investigators: Mark Harrigan, any mystic, any two other guardians. ONe of the three latter needs access to double or nothing.

Mark Harrigan has a shotgun or M1918 (5 damage). Commits The Home Front (+1), commits 2 vicious blows level 2 (+4). Mystic commits Seal of the Elder Sign. Other two guardians commit 2 vicious blows level 2 each (+8), someone commits double or nothing. Damage: 24 damage, with an elder sign. +1 damage from the first action in the turn, from either Hatchett man or Custom Ammo.

Final attack bonus: Mark Harrigan (5), Shotgun +3, 6 vicious blows +12, double or noting +1, the Home Front +4 = +25, plus number of damage on Mark Harrigan, plus resources commited on a talent, plus other cards committed.

Not actually enough to one-shot Yog-Sothoth with 4.

Edited by Eldan985

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

As for maximum ammo, contraband doubles ammo. Two copies of that played on the 1918 BAR give you 32 ammo. 

As fast actions and cards are permitted and we can set up as much as we want, things get a lot more complicated than that. A few options present themselves, like using Inspiring Presence, Double or Nothing and Ashcan Pete to get a total of 17 uses of Venturer in one turn, but I think this is the best you can do:

Leo, Skids, Jenny, Sefina. Leo, Skids and Jenny have one copy of Charisma and 2 copies of Venturer in play. Everyone has 2 copies of Fence in play and an arbitrarily high amount of resources. Sefina has 1 copy of Contraband under her investigator sheet, one copy of contraband in hand and three copies of The Painted World in hand. Leo has Custom Ammunition in hand or under Stick to the Plan, and a 1918 BAR in play with its starting 8 ammo.

Leo, Skids and Jenny trigger their Venturers, adding 6 ammo to the BAR. Leo uses Custom Ammunition, adding 2 ammo to the BAR. It now has 16 ammo. Then, everyone plays Contraband using their copies of Fence to make them Fast actions, with Sefina playing her copy of Fence and one copy of The Painted World copying Fence. Then, the actual actions happen - Sefina plays her last two copies of The Painted World, also copying Contraband. The amount of ammo is doubled 10 times, for 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384 total ammo. Hope you have a lot of tokens.

Edited by Allonym

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Alright. THen we're back to a five damage weapon, as many copies as possible of Vicious Blow 2, double or Nothing and Seal of the Elder Sign. 

A few more sources of bonus damage:

Custom Ammunition, if it's a Monster: +1

With the first action, evade the creature with Hatchet Man: +1 

Zoey Samaras, elder sign: +1

Mark Harrigan, commits The Home Front: +1 

That's all I can think of. And of course they arne't all compatible. But I think my current bet is:

Investigators: Mark Harrigan, any mystic, any two other guardians. ONe of the three latter needs access to double or nothing.

Mark Harrigan has a shotgun or M1918 (5 damage). Commits The Home Front (+1), commits 2 vicious blows level 2 (+4). Mystic commits Seal of the Elder Sign. Other two guardians commit 2 vicious blows level 2 each (+8), someone commits double or nothing. Damage: 24 damage, with an elder sign. +1 damage from the first action in the turn, from either Hatchett man or Custom Ammo.

Final attack bonus: Mark Harrigan (5), Shotgun +3, 6 vicious blows +12, double or noting +1, the Home Front +4 = +25, plus number of damage on Mark Harrigan, plus resources commited on a talent, plus other cards committed.

Not actually enough to one-shot Yog-Sothoth with 4.

Other investigators can only add 1 skill card to the test.

You're better off having a fourth guardian with 1 Vicious Blow (2), and Hatchet Man should be able to stack, so Zoey, Skids, Leo, Mark. Skids evaded the enemy and Leo and Zoey all committed 1x Hatchet Man to the test, while Skids committed 2 copies. To guarantee that you do the maximum damage, use Contraband with Fence to put a huge amount of ammo on the weapon, and use Eat Lead! spending like 20 ammo to draw the entire chaos bag and choose the Elder Sign. So instead you have 5 base, 5x Vicious Blow (2) for +10, Home Front for +1, 4x Hatchet Man for +4, Custom Ammunition for +1, Zoey's Elder Sign for +1, giving you a total of 22, doubled with Double or Nothing for 44.

Edited by Allonym

Just to be clear( sorry for neclarity ) in max ammo I meant over a course of a game. The 2 actions are just for max. damages. Also with 3 actions the maximum damage increases only a bit.

Posted (edited)

44 is pretty close. The method of ammo is almost perfect, but the result is much higher because you thought only in one round, not a game, my bad again.

Edited by Veve7

Over the course of a game, the numbers break down entirely because you can just cycle through your deck and then reshuffle, playing everything however many times you want, depending on how long you have until the agenda finishes and whether you die to monsters etc. It doesn't really work as a thought exercise then.

Posted (edited)

My scenarios(hope they are correct):

Ammo: 8 BAR+2 Custom Ammo+ 6*3 from Venturer+6*3 Extra Ammunition=46, then ,,fill" the venturers with ammo with level 3 Cahces: 46+4*8=78.

Then, each Investigators plays 2 Contrabands during the game, but firstly Sefina Copies Contraband 3 times with The Painted World 78x 2^11= 159 744 ammo(how many cores do you need for that ammo?).

First action: Evade with 5 Hatchet+ double or nothing (+10 to next time takes damage)

Damage:BAR(5)+ 1(Zoey Elder sign(Eat lead to reveal all tokens, chose it-use Contrabands to have enough ammo))+10 from vicious blows 2+2 Marsmanship on an non-engaged enemy=28 damage. Use double or nothing for 56 damage+2 from custom ammo if is a monster=58.

With 3 actions let's say another investigator uses card draw on Zoey, revealing Overzealous, into ready the enemy encounter card, evading it with Hatchet man plus Double +4 so 60  or 62, respectivly.

It can get better into one round, for example by triggering Zoey's Cross, but I wanted just in one action do deal as many damages.

Edited by Veve7

Let's say over some rounds, not a game then. I thought only the content of a regular deck, no cycling. Sorry again for the confusion.

With infinite resources and 2 contrabands, Jenny can get 4*Infinite ammo on Jenny's Twin .45s.

Max ammo can be augmented by Contraband (double current), Venturer (+3 over the course of 3 rounds), Extra Ammunition (+3) & Custom Ammunition (+2 Limit 1 per asset).  So with 2 Venturers, 2 Extra Ammunitions, and 1 Custom Ammunition you can get 14 additional before quadrupling it with 2 Contrabands; without deck cycle.

Yes, infinite is the maximum.That will still be an infinite, even if you put more ammo,I only thought of the maximum finite number of ammo.ahc01_feature.jpg