Aiwarikiar

I am Lando, hear me Roar(k)

I've seen the Dash - Han Solo gunner squads been inspired to do something with the Falcon. Not sure if its good, but it sure does pack a punch. I originally had engine upgrade on Lando but ditched it for the 9 point bid. After playing this (and a similar squad with Bistan gunner and Jan Ors) I've realized that i need to be able to react to other I5 pilots. With no or few I6 pilots being played in my local area, being able to arcdodge, or rotate turret, all the I5s is good. I feel this is good, but I fear there's something that should or could be done differently. Maybe I should consider Tactical Scrambler on Lando and keep Roark on the outside of Lando while circling the asteroids in the middle so that Roark gains another defense die, cause I know with out Roark, this list falls together quite quickly. 

HWK-290 Light Freighter - •Roark Garnet - 62
    •Roark Garnet - Good-Hearted Smuggler (38)
        Trick Shot (1)
        •Jyn Erso (2)
        Engine Upgrade (3)
        Shield Upgrade (6)
        •Moldy Crow (12)

Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Lando Calrissian - 129
    •Lando Calrissian - General of the Alliance (92)
        Trick Shot (1)
        Homing Missiles (3)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        •Nien Nunb (5)
        •Millennium Falcon (6)
        •Han Solo (12)

Total: 191/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

You're right, the big question here is; does it compare to Dash? He has 4 dice native, finds it easier to trigger trick shot and outrider denies them a die - so hits MUCH harder. But Lando is cheaper so you get a bid and with more health and the title rerolls he is tankier.

Im not convinced by the homing missiles, I think the bid and the I7 double tap already hurts aces and other builds don't care, sure it gives you more arc coverage but only twice. 

With Roark being so important I'd be tempted to trade the engine upgrade for a hill upgrade and with moldy crow and Jyn he will be tough as heck. Focus focus evade on both ships is great and you will no doubt do great in the early game. Can it kill things fast enough? Not sure. But looks fun and that bid means you can make great use of one of the games strongest mechanics, a reactive boost on a large base ship. The fact Lando gets another action too is just a cherry

Not really worth the points I think, I played this yesterday and it performed well. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's actually better than the Dash variant having played that too.

I think a bid is great with Lando as boosting in response to where your opponent is, while on a large base, AND still getting double focus is pretty sweet. Lando is much more self sufficient and due to being 12 points or so cheaper than Dash when fully built you can get a shield upgrade on the HWK and have a bid.

Not sure the coordinate is needed on the HWK with Lando so going with Elusive and Jyn makes Roark a lot tankier.

Agree, Engine Upgrade is nice, but too expensive. 

But how large of a bid should you aim for? It's not difficult ending up with 10 points, but that really makes me wanna use 3-5 of them on something. 

I'm thinking something like this has quite a bit of tankiness, the longer the HWK survives the better. 7hp with 2 agility, elusive and 3 focus tokens is solid. If they go for Lando he has 14hp, focus focus evade and free rerolls - plus the speed to just accelerate away if they go after him. If you want more than a 7 pt bid go from elusive down to trick shot on Roark.

Trick Shot (1)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        •Nien Nunb (5)
        Hull Upgrade (3)
        •Millennium Falcon (6)
        •Han Solo (12)

HWK-290 Light Freighter - •Roark Garnet - 64
        Elusive (3)
        Hull Upgrade (5)
        Shield Upgrade (6)
        •Moldy Crow (12)

Total: 193/200

I'm not convinced about Elusive. The only red on the HWKs dial is stop and hard 3. And you sure would like the possibilty of taking an action after using up your focus tokens. I'll also keep Jyn Erso on it because it allows Lando to get focus+evade and rotate the turret/boosting. 

Throwing my 10 cents in on this archetype:

Roark (Title, Magva, HU, SU)

Lando (Title, Han, Nien, PerCo)

Double attacks at I7, both focused, one with a TL - unless you're scared, in which case you take an evade. Roark is beefier than usual and Magva punishes anyone who targets him.

Leaves 7 points of bid/epts/bombs

I just wanted to double check that I understand:

(1) Lando gives Roark an extra action from Lando’s Pilot ability, 

(2) then Roark can perform a coordinate  action on Lando?

(3) Lando performs a coordinated action?

Is that right?

On 10/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, Aiwarikiar said:

I've seen the Dash - Han Solo gunner squads been inspired to do something with the Falcon. Not sure if its good, but it sure does pack a punch. I originally had engine upgrade on Lando but ditched it for the 9 point bid. After playing this (and a similar squad with Bistan gunner and Jan Ors) I've realized that i need to be able to react to other I5 pilots. With no or few I6 pilots being played in my local area, being able to arcdodge, or rotate turret, all the I5s is good. I feel this is good, but I fear there's something that should or could be done differently. Maybe I should consider Tactical Scrambler on Lando and keep Roark on the outside of Lando while circling the asteroids in the middle so that Roark gains another defense die, cause I know with out Roark, this list falls together quite quickly. 

HWK-290 Light Freighter - •Roark Garnet - 62
        Trick Shot (1)
        •Jyn Erso (2)
        Engine Upgrade (3)
        Shield Upgrade (6)
        •Moldy Crow (12)

Trick Shot (1)
        Homing Missiles (3)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        •Nien Nunb (5)
        •Millennium Falcon (6)
        •Han Solo (12)

Total: 191/200

Have been looking into this recently.  Thought about Magva over PerCo and juke over trick shot on hwk.  Gives 12 point bid or 8pts if you throw on cargo chute for good measure (or mebbe 6 pts bid with proc mines on the hwk?)

Edited by Lanthal

I have a friend thinking of something like this, with a Squad Leader/Tactical Officer Roark.

Perceptive Copilot seems too good to miss with Jyn Erso in the list; it allows Lando to Focus and Evade in a single action, activating his Falcon title and getting offensive dice mods.  I also feel like Engine Upgrade is going to be worth getting on Lando. It's expensive, but Homing Missiles aren't going to be that useful, I figure.