Sign in to follow this  
Malabor

Something different, yet familiar...

So after the first few weeks of flying strikers and reapers (so much fun to zoom around the table!), I've yet to have enough success to consider the lists "good".   There's still a lot of thick-hulled, heavy damage dealers out there (lookin' at you Scum) and if the variance gods are frowning, strikers go *POP* pretty quickly.   So, I'm thinking of going back to the good ol' "PalpAces" set up, but maybe with some different twists.   Here's where I'm starting.   I'm open to critiques, kudos, pats on the back and slaps on the wrist.   What say you, O' masters of the stars?

Darth Vader (70)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)

Scarif Base Pilot (41)
Emperor Palpatine (13)

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Agent Kallus (6)

Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Why do you not take supernatural reflexes on Vader?

If you did, you could remove afterburners and agent kallus and take a 5pt bid.

Or you add 0-0-0 and take just a 2pt bid. 0-0-0 is like a universal kallus, but with the possibility of dealing stress and restricted to range 1.

is supernatural worth the points?  That makes Vader a fat, fat target does it not?

Is it better than afterburners?

I know a bid is important for sure.  Should i be shooting for 5 points or more?

Supernatural is widely considered to be an amazing upgrade and well worth the points, especially on Vader with his 3 force. The 85pt Vader is a staple build and the three cards are basically glued together, so I'd say you won't go wrong using them.

That being said, it is not easy to fly. The premovement boost/roll means you have a ton of options to visualize when setting your dial, and you have to double your effort with the decloak of Whisper.
Sai + Title vs Reaper+Palp... I don't know, honestly. I have used the reaper quite a bit in 1.0, but not yet with the more restrictive dial. If you want to keep the lambda, then I'd suggest to take Minister Tua into consideration. A free reinforce is very good!
Then there are other options to consider. For example, 0-0-0 gives you a calculate if an enemy comes into the range 0-1 bubble. That leaves you to coordinate every turn and still get a free reinforce AND calculate.

On the other hand, the bid is very important. I don't believe the (very numerous) people yet  who say that a bid between 7 and 15 points for a Vader is necessary. But maybe they are right, and then you might want to rethink that third ship. It bothered me too and led me eventually to ditch Vader. If you want to stay with Vader, Pocketace and Support, then I can't tell you what is good. Take a look at this blog, he made a beautiful squad that harmonizes very well.

I don't argue that supernatural Vader can be good.  But I think that might be above my skill level at this point in time. 

I really like the economy that Sai w/ Tua on board can create.  0-0-0 is a good option, buuuut, I don't have that card and I'm not looking to buy a scum kit or falcon any time soon.  Free reinforce seems like a good thing all around!

I've come up with this and may put it on the table and see how it does.

Darth Vader (70)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Minister Tua (7)
ST-321 (6)

Soontir Fel (52)
Predator (2)

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

1 hour ago, Malabor said:

I don't argue that supernatural Vader can be good.  But I think that might be above my skill level at this point in time. 

That‘s fair and good to realize. At some point you can switch. Personally I struggle with so many options, it gives me a headache after 2-3 games in a row... but it‘s also a matter of experience, so just try it and make your experiences with it.

A good game is one where you could improve, not one you won.

The list looks good like this. I‘m not entirely sold on the title. The one game I saw it in action it was not really worth the 6 points. One alternative is Collision Detector on Whisper. That‘s like training wheels for decloaking and lets you decloak over obstacles. I will bring a whisper with collision detector to my first tournament because I can use the help.

16 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

A good game is one where you could improve, not one you won.

I couldn't agree more! 

I'm not 100% sold on the title yet either, but I like the option and the efficiency of it.  Grabbing a TL for free at a potential range 5 could pay off in later rounds once the shuttle gets good and engaged.  We'll see how it goes.