Mr Tough Guy

The Mandalorian [Star Wars TV series]

25 minutes ago, weisguy119 said:

I honestly don't get the obsession with Mandalorians.  I always thought Boba was an overrated character.  People like his armor so now we get tons of stories about Mandalore/Mandalorians.  Yawn.

That said, I'll watch it anyway- because Star Wars.  I hope it does involve the search for Bridger and Thrawn because that, to me, would be more interesting than yet another new Mandalorian character.

I think part of the problem is that you are viewing Mandalorians based on Boba Fett’s marits rather than the ones they got on their own. While I like Boba, what made me a fan of Mandalorians was other material concerning them, such as conversations with Canderus Ordo in KotOR, varies dives into their culture from Legends and so on. 

12 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

It's also every single Stormtrooper.  So Iron Man is a Stormtrooper?

You really are determined to sap all of the fun out of this...

I didn't think I needed to go into specifics to make what I thought was a fairly wry observation but here we go.

Mandalorian armour =/= Stormtrooper armour. 

Mandalorian armour has a jetpack, a rocket launcher, hidden blades, dart guns, wrist blasters, high tech sensor equipment, a rangefinder, actually blocks blaster bolts, and is usually heavily customised by each individual user. In short, it's cool, it lets you fly and its full of gadgets.

Hence the Iron Man comparison. 

Jon Favreau made Iron Man, a film ultimately about someone who at the time was more of a B-tier Marvel hero, so good that it kickstarted the biggest movie franchise in history. He banked on a character less well known than you X-Men or your Spiderman and a leading actor who was all but blacklisted at the time. it shouldn't have worked. But it did.

Now he's coming over to the other biggest movie franchise of all time with a concept that, if you're feeling a little goofy - as I was earlier, is strikingly similar to Iron Man.

If it worked once, it can work again. 

23 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The main difference for me is that Iron Man is a hero.  I want to root for him and see him win.  Maybe that's the direction they'll take it, but I'm worried they'll instead go with some boring, morally-ambiguous antihero.  "He does all the cool actiony stuff of a hero, but without that pesky moral fiber getting in the way!"

Firstly, sometimes its good to elevate the actions and personality of a true hero by showing what life looks like for someone without quite so robust a moral compass. 

Shadier heroes can be incredibly entertaining and compelling. Especially if they have an arc where they start sketchy but become more heroic as the story progress (gee, where have we seen that before?)

What's wrong with a more 'serious' character in a live action Star Wars TV show? He could end up being as 'morally ambiguous' as Daredevil in the Netflix series (i.e right side, wrong methods) who is pretty obviously an ultimately good character.

Secondly, why on earth are you worried? 

All the information we have on this is a brief, mostly vague paragraph about a time period and the faintest outline of a character concept. 

Rebels is a kids show packed full of ultra good, safe characters and one of them is a Mandalorian. What's led you to the conclusion that just because the protagonist is a Mandalorian (literally the only thing we know about them) that they must be going for 'morally ambiguous antihero'.

It's not even like they said the character was a bounty hunter. 

At this stage, wouldn't it make far more sense to wait for a little more information at the very least before jumping to a conclusion?

5 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Rebels is a kids show packed full of ultra good, safe characters and one of them is a Mandalorian. What's led you to the conclusion that just because the protagonist is a Mandalorian (literally the only thing we know about them) that they must be going for 'morally ambiguous antihero'.

It's not even like they said the character was a bounty hunter.

The fact that Boba and Jango are mentioned in the crawl implies something of a continuation of their type of story.

Ughh a boring morally-ambiguous character in the well explored grey-area of the Star Wars galaxy? I was dying to find out how the recently victorious and reigning New Republic once again becomes underdogs to the defeated Empire or one of its fragments. It can be called Star Wars: Revolution and we could even get a new Stormtrooper armor design. 

Edit: I really enjoyed Rebels and am looking forward to Resistance but I can appreciate something different, especially in the Solo/Scum corner of the galaxy. 

Edited by RogerWilco15

4 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Jon Favreau made Iron Man, a film ultimately about someone who at the time was more of a B-tier Marvel hero, so good that it kickstarted the biggest movie franchise in history. He banked on a character less well known than you X-Men or your Spiderman and a leading actor who was all but blacklisted at the time. it shouldn't have worked. But it did.

I honestly did not know this.  Iron Man was my favorite superhero growing up, so I more or less assumed he was well known.

7 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Secondly, why on earth are you worried? 

All the information we have on this is a brief, mostly vague paragraph about a time period and the faintest outline of a character concept. 

Mostly because I figure they're making this to pander to the Mandalorian fans, and most of the time I hear those fans talking about wanting a movie/show, it's with an antihero.

9 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

At this stage, wouldn't it make far more sense to wait for a little more information at the very least before jumping to a conclusion?

In my first post, I said I'm reserving judgment.  Just because I have some concerns doesn't mean I've decided to hate it from the get-go.  There's no need to get so defensive.

50 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I feel about this much the same as I do about Solo.  It sounds entertaining, but it's not the kind of epic, good-vs-evil story that I can really get excited about.

For me, I get a little tired of every SW story needing to revolve around the Jedi vs. the Sith.  There are a lot of other stories to be told in the galaxy far, far away.

The main difference for me is that Iron Man is a hero.  I want to root for him and see him win.  Maybe that's the direction they'll take it, but I'm worried they'll instead go with some boring, morally-ambiguous antihero.  "He does all the cool actiony stuff of a hero, but without that pesky moral fiber getting in the way!"

Like Cassian Andor??

That is one of the main reasons I liked RO.  Not everything is black and white.

Star Wars started as a children's story about Brave Knights and Evil Emperors.  It should grow up, along with some of its fans (that is to say, it can still try to appeal to children, too).

Just like the Harry Potter stories did.

And in any event, there is certainly room for both types of stories.  Rebels and Resistance will likely appeal to the good-vs-evil types.  This may appeal to the gritty morality types.

Edited by Darth Meanie

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

For me, I get a little tired of every SW story needing to revolve around the Jedi vs. the Sith.

Who said anything about Jedi or Sith?  The X-Wing series showed that you can focus on the military instead of on the Force users, and still get a "good-and-evil" story.

16 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Like Cassian Andor??

That is one of the main reasons I liked RO.  Not everything is black and white.

Was Cassian morally ambiguous?  Either way, he certainly wasn't the main character, and I doubt the movie would have been half so interesting if he had been.

18 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Star Wars started as a children's story about Brave Knights and Evil Emperors.  It should grow up, along with some of its fans (that is to say, it can still try to appeal to children, too).

Just like the Harry Potter stories did.

Harry Potter stories were still good and evil, though.  I guess I'm confused about what you mean by "[Star Wars] should grow up", given that particular analogy.

19 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Yall keep saying " guy"...

As if it's not totally obvious this will have a 'strong female lead'.

Nope not obvious.  I am pretty sure that the short wall of text provided gives no indication to the protagonist's sex/gender.  All it says is "Lone Gunfighter".  That literally says nothing.

I’m very much getting a spaghetti western/man with no name kind of vibe from that description. While I still think this obsession some fans have for a cool costume is ridiculous, I do think that going back to old westerns as inspiration would be a good choice for this. 

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I fear too many people confuse moral complexity with moral ambiguity, or even moral relativism.

Even most of my concerns are really more about moral relativism than about moral ambiguity, I guess.  Though I still don't like full moral ambiguity in my main protagonists.

Edited by JJ48

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

It's also every single Stormtrooper.  So Iron Man is a Stormtrooper?

I feel about this much the same as I do about Solo.  It sounds entertaining, but it's not the kind of epic, good-vs-evil story that I can really get excited about.

Don’t worry, moral fiber will be supplied by plucky side kick. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger07 said:

Nope not obvious.  I am pretty sure that the short wall of text provided gives no indication to the protagonist's sex/gender.  All it says is "Lone Gunfighter".  That literally says nothing.

"Lone Gunfighter" is obviously a reference to the Dark Tower...so I'm calling it now.  The Mandalorian is about Roland of Gilead in spaaaaaace!!!!

This also means we'll get Matthew McConaughey as a dark side force user!!!

Hmm...Crimson Dawn...Crimson King...interesting...

5 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Don’t worry, moral fiber will be supplied by plucky side kick. 

Hm...if it turned into Hawk the Slayer...in Space! then I could totally get behind that.  Especially if Peter O'Farrell plays the "comic" relief!  XD

55 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I honestly did not know this.  Iron Man was my favorite superhero growing up, so I more or less assumed he was well known.

I mean, mine too thanks in large part to the 90s cartoon.

He's hardly obscure for anyone who actually read Marvel comics, I just meant that before the Favreau/RDJ movie Iron Man hadn't penetrated the consciousness of the general public the way Spiderman and the X-Men had, for example.

As a core Avenger, he's obviously a Marvel A-lister, but he hadn't quite reached that 'extra' tier that someone like Wolverine had. 

Mostly because I figure they're making this to pander to the Mandalorian fans, and most of the time I hear those fans talking about wanting a movie/show, it's with an antihero.

But that's a conclusion basically drawn essentially from your own prejudices.

LFL hasn't pandered to Mando fans since before the Clone Wars, and the Clone Wars ****ed a bunch of them off by stating Jango Fett was not a Mandalorian. 

Sabine hasn't exactly enamoured most of them either. 

So why would LFL pander to a very niche part of a fan base they've basically left behind anyway (the vocal Legends supporters) on the first show on their brand spanking new Disney channel?

It's going to be just as safe and generic as the vast majority of Rebels, TFA and Solo was.  

In my first post, I said I'm reserving judgment.  Just because I have some concerns doesn't mean I've decided to hate it from the get-go.  There's no need to get so defensive.

Yeah, and I wasn't responding to that.

I was responding to a post where you seemed a lot more openly sceptical. You have 'concerns' based on only a fraction more than zero information. That says prejudgement to me. 

The whole purpose of my dumb comparison to Iron Man was supposed to illustrate that Jon Favreau took an idea that a lot of people at the time would probably have said was doomed to mediocrity and accidentally spawned a huge, incredibly popular franchise. 

So when presented with a similar real world scenario - Jon Favreau helming a project that fans of the source material might be sceptical of - why not give him the benefit of the doubt instead of being 'concerned' that LFL is, for some reason, going to make a series to bend to the whims of a tiny vocal minority of a subset of the Star Wars fanbase?

I'm not trying to be defensive, and I do see where you're coming from. I just don't understand how you can be negative with so little information, and when the information we do have suggests a partnership similar to one that produced impressive results in the past. 

49 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Yall keep saying " guy"...

As if it's not totally obvious this will have a 'strong female lead'.

Pedro Pascal has apparently been linked by several sources to this as the lead. 

Massive grain of salt, obviously. But the very few indications we have so far says 'guy'. 

Edited by GuacCousteau

The whole synopsis and leaked footage implies to me that the story will be centred around Cobb Vanth - former slave, and lawman that buys a damaged set of mandalorian armour, that may have been scowered by acid, from jawas that were known to salvage around the pit of carkoon.   

7 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The whole synopsis and leaked footage implies to me that the story will be centred around Cobb Vanth - former slave, and lawman that buys a damaged set of mandalorian armour, that may have been scowered by acid, from jawas that were known to salvage around the pit of carkoon.   

If LFL actually creates a whole TV series out of a short, throwaway interlude scene from a book that most of the intended audience won't have read; or if they had the foresight to plant the seed of this series way back when Chuck Wendig was writing the Aftermath series, I will be absolutely astounded.

In a very good way. 

8 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Ah, hadn’t heard of Vanth. That could be him, the descriptions match up.

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

But don't you remember all his amazing accomplishments?  Like how he sat around doing nothing long enough to notice the Millennium Falcon fly away?  (If Dengar had just spent a little longer Bluetooth syncing his phone, or if Zuckuss had spilled his Big Gulp and needed to take time cleaning it up, I suppose one of them would have been the "awesome one" of the bounty hunters.)  Or how about in the Holiday Special cartoon, when he implemented a plan so convoluted that even he didn't understand it?  Then, of course, there's that part in A New Hope Special Edition where he actually turns to the camera for a moment!  <swoon>  And who can forget how cool he looked getting knocked into a hole by a blind guy completely on accident?  Sounds like someone just doesn't like totally awesome characters!

Actually laughed out loud. Bravo good sir! :lol: :lol: :lol: