The captn

Runninng scouts effectively

Sniper Strike Teams are super good, if ran properly. I have had a ton of success with both the Rebel and Imperial strike teams. Keep them in cover, in areas with a vantage point where they can get a good view of their surroundings. (if there are no vantage points on your board, you need higher-terrain.)

40 minutes ago, Alino said:

(if there are no vantage points on your board, you need higher-terrain.)

I don't disagree, but whether those vantage points are accessible will vary from game to game unless your terrain is affixed to the board.

The issue I have with sniper teams is their awful white die save. Assuming I'm shooting at one with either bikes or an ATST, I can probably finagle four hits. Assuming one is a natural crit, that leaves two cancelled by cover, and two hits....which will more than likely result in the whole team dead.

I ran two sniper heavy weapon teams last night and they stayed near veers most of the game. HQ uplink let me give them orders every turn (keeping their tokens out of the bag) If veers was able to give out aim tokens, they usually just took a recover and then shot their target. They didn't do much in the way of damage until someone got close enough to let me get the two man scout team shooting at 1 target for four black dice. 

I mainly just put them on the table to try them out and Boba Fett at the same time. 

My main takeaway was that I really like HQ uplink. If used the right way, you can just keep an entire troop type of tokens out of your random pile. I'll be trying several different combinations for the scouts, but Boba Fett was the real standout. 

7 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

The issue I have with sniper teams is their awful white die save. Assuming I'm shooting at one with either bikes or an ATST, I can probably finagle four hits. Assuming one is a natural crit, that leaves two cancelled by cover, and two hits....which will more than likely result in the whole team dead.

You're overestimating the difference between a 33% save and a 50% save. The difference is there, but it's not as bad as you're portraying it.

11 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

You're overestimating the difference between a 33% save and a 50% save. The difference is there, but it's not as bad as you're portraying it.

No, I'm going off my experience playing against rebels so far, where five hits on a regular squad means five dead dudes, usually. Albeit I guess that could be my friends awful dice luck.... ?

11 minutes ago, Darth Lupine said:

No, I'm going off my experience playing against rebels so far, where five hits on a regular squad means five dead dudes, usually. Albeit I guess that could be my friends awful dice luck.... ?

I play rebels, they're my main army. If you're getting 5 hits on a regular squad, and all 5 hits are going through - your friend really needs to work on unit placement and planning moves to he can get into cover.

Anyways, 5 hit on my guys is normally 3 - 4 dead dudes.

37 minutes ago, Darth Lupine said:

With my brother he rolls all blanks on red. Then theres me, rolling 7 surges on red defence with luke against a wounded at-st. Unfortunately I had no dodge or that would be one dead at-st

1 hour ago, Alino said:

I play rebels, they're my main army. If you're getting 5 hits on a regular squad, and all 5 hits are going through - your friend really needs to work on unit placement and planning moves to he can get into cover.

Anyways, 5 hit on my guys is normally 3 - 4 dead dudes.

He was in heavy cover, which didn't matter, because flamethrowers are a thing....?

I played Scouts for the first time last week and I think they are amazing.

I had one Sniper squad and two Minersquads. The Snipers didn't get an activation because I missed a crack in the terrain through which a unit of rebel troopers were able to shoot. They shot well and I saved poorly. We usually play a lot of terrain (actually the correct 25% coverage) with a lot of LOS blockers, so snipers aren't very affective on our tables most of the time.

But this terrain leads to powerful bomber play. The signature move is to move forward into the open and hide the second squad member behind LOS blocker. Then lay the bomb and detonate. You'll usually get 2-4 enemy units and kill your own bomber (teleporting him back behind cover, replacing the second model in the unit). With Emergency stims and good timing you can often bomb 3 or more times. Especially with the suppressive keyword in the mines which most of the time hinder your opponent to follow up and kill the sqad befor the next turn. For future games I'll probably swap out the sniper for another miner.

For Imperials, Sniper Strike teams are very very good, but I think you need more than one of them. I run two, some people on TTS swear by 3. You also need to be smart with them - if you are against a Leia or a Veers you need to make sure they are out of LOS at deployment so that they can't be Bombarded / Maximum Firepowered. You then need to keep them back as far as you can, and use them mostly to make people think twice about moving through major channels on the board. Sniper Strike teams aren't going to wipe out full squads - they are there to pick off wounded units that need 1 or 2 more hits to go through, or to apply suppression and pick off a unit on a 4 or 5 man squad to soften them up. This is of course AFTER they have taken out the enemy's snipers. You need to make sure that your Snipers are the last snipers standing. There will likely be trading of sniper fire in the first round or two.

They are good though. 

Snipers are great in strike teams especially on long march. More range to use and easier to keep them safe. Just pick up troopers, supress them. Sometimes you can position yourself in a way to only see one guy (preferably with heavy weapon) and just take him out. As for regular squads. 4 man with duck and cover is very nice packing up 8 black dice and lowering cover. Still tricky to use because they are fragile. 5 man with bomber guy needs another strike team to serve as a detonator (if your front line bomb planting squad is whiped out you cant detonate all of those bombs you have planted. There i would suggest emergency stims for 5 an bomb squad for that extra surviveability (to place more bombs and keep the firepower longer).