Sign in to follow this  
Slade

Ciena Ree crew

I'm planning my first 2.0 game this weekend and digging through the rules wondered about this crew with some questions.

In the cases below the ship that has Ciena as it crew has the coordinate action on its action bar.

1. If the coordinated ship has a (red) linked action following the barrel roll or boost action symbol can it do the linked action once 'coordinated' and still use Ciena's ability to rotate 90 degrees before gaining Ciena's stress token?

2. What if the barrel roll or boost action is the linked action on the coordinated ship, i.e. it uses the focus action first for instance, can Ciena's ability still be used?

3. What if the barrel roll or boost action is red on the coordinated ship, and the ship will be stressed, can Ciena's ability still be used resulting in two stress tokens on the coordinated ship?

4. If the coordinated ship fails the barrel roll or boost action can it still use Ciena's ability to rotate 90 degrees?

Thx.

1. Yes.

But the ship will be double stressed.

"After a ship performs an action with an attached linked action, if the 
player wants to resolve the linked action, it is added to the ability queue." -page 6 of the rules reference.

"If a player has multiple abilities that triggered from the same event, that 
player chooses the order that those abilities are added to the ability 
queue." Page 3 of the rules reference

So both the linked actions and her ability hit the que and you get to pick the order, you need to do the red action first because you can't do that if you are stressed. Then do the rotate and add another stress.

2. No as the linked action is a seperate action in the que and won't trigger her ability as her ability is "after" (the action, so would trigger before the boost/roll happens)

3. Yes nothing in her ability requires you to be stress free.

4. No the action was not preformed thus her ability does not trigger.

Edited by Icelom

1) Yes because Ciena does not specify which action you actually did with the coordinate, just "after coordinate, did you boost/roll?" and linked actions happen at the same time as that coordinate action, so you can do it before she checks. But, doublestressed
2) Again, yes, because Ciena is NOT checking for the specifically coordinated action. There are two actions after you coordinate being done before she checks, either of them can satisfy her ability.
3) Ciena is not stress cancelled so she works on a stressed ship, but gets another stress.
4) No, failing doesnt trigger anything unless it specifically calls out a failed action.

The first two i expect a faq about because its one of those hot debate things that despite it being clearly written some people wont accept that she is NOT checking for the specifically coordinated action. She is going off after the coordinate is finished, which would also be after any linked actions, and just checks if a boost/roll was performed period.

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

1) Yes because Ciena does not specify which action you actually did with the coordinate, just "after coordinate, did you boost/roll?" and linked actions happen at the same time as that coordinate action, so you can do it before she checks. But, doublestressed
2) Again, yes, because Ciena is NOT checking for the specifically coordinated action. There are two actions after you coordinate being done before she checks, either of them can satisfy her ability.
3) Ciena is not stress cancelled so she works on a stressed ship, but gets another stress.
4) No, failing doesnt trigger anything unless it specifically calls out a failed action.

The first two i expect a faq about because its one of those hot debate things that despite it being clearly written some people wont accept that she is NOT checking for the specifically coordinated action. She is going off after the coordinate is finished, which would also be after any linked actions, and just checks if a boost/roll was performed period.

Coordinate finished before the linked action, as per the ability que, the linked action adds the second action to the que, a linked action is not a single entity it is 2 different things. Both her after coordinating and the linked action enter the que at the same time. 

I think it comes down to this question: Is the "after action" timing window for the Coordinate action the same timing as the "after action" window for the action performed by the coordinated ship?

If yes, then you can add Ciena's ability and the linked action to the queue in any order, and do the linked action first so it doesn't get blocked by the stress from Ciena's rotation.

In 1.0 I'd have said it definitely is the same timing, but I'm not sure whether we have a good precedent in 2.0 yet. Absent a reason to expect it to be different, though, I think it's probably still the same.

If it's not the same, that would probably mean you have to resolve all the timing triggers related to the coordinated ship's boost/barrel roll before you get to the "after coordinate" timing window, which would mean you'd be stressed by the linked action before Ciena's ability could resolve. (ETA: This doesn't actually change the result, because Ciena's ability doesn't care if you're already stressed.) Like I said, though, that seems less likely.

Wouldn't mind an @OfficialRules clarification on this, though, because it would be a relevant precedent.

Edited by digitalbusker
Clarification about rules question

35 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Which means the player resolves them in any order.

The triggering part has already happened... that's what causes it to enter the que. IF the person did not do a boost or barrel roll it never enters the que there is nothing to resolve.

I guess the argument comes down to.

is it triggered into the que simply by being after you coordinate?

or is it triggered into the que after you coordinate a boost or barrel roll?

I believe its option 2, at least that's how I read it.

Edited by Icelom

Wrong thing entering the queue.

Ciena Ree's "Check if boost or roll was performed" is what is entering the queue, not the rotate.

She would have to be worded to specifically call out the coordinated action to be mandated to go before a linked action.

Her ability is specifically "After you coordinate..." not an augmented coordinate.

Edited by Vineheart01

My fellow Ciena Ree enthusiasts:

I feel we need to be very careful about this as threads like this, which are about very clearly written rule, cast doubt on other very clear rules.  I am not saying that there are folks trying to bend the wording of the cards until they break, just saying we are getting dangerously close to doing that.

"After" means after, and should not ever be interpreted as "At some point in the game after..."  If we try to make it so Ciena can Coordinate a Focus that is then Linked to (or through some other ability like Interceptor Autothrusters) a Boost or a Barrel Roll, and still use her ability to turn the ship, then we are saying that Ciena can Coordinate a Focus in Round 1 of a game, and then use her ability after a ship Barrel Rolls in Round 16 of the game to turn the ship.  We are also then saying that anyone's ability that uses the word "after" opens a window that extends to the end of the game.

Abilities enter the queue, not timing windows...

So, Ciena Coordinates.  After which a window opens to check to see if the ship she Coordinated did a Boost or a Barrel Roll, and then that window closes.  If the ship did not do a Boost or a Barrel Roll within that window, her ability is not added to the queue.  If the ship did do a Boost or Barrel Roll and a different ability also triggers off of a Boost or Barrel Roll, then both abilities are added to the queue and can be executed in any order (barring they are still legal - No Action while stressed)

And... it seems FFG just clarified this:

Q: If Lieutenant Sai [Lambda-class Shuttle] coordinates a ship and it performs an action followed by a linked action, can Lieutenant Sai perform the linked action instead of the initial action?

A: No. Lieutenant Sai can only perform the initial action.

Lieutenant Sai and Ciena Ree are phrased the same way.  Only the Coordinated Action is available for the ability

12 minutes ago, drazen90909 said:

And... it seems FFG just clarified this:

Q: If Lieutenant Sai [Lambda-class Shuttle] coordinates a ship and it performs an action followed by a linked action, can Lieutenant Sai perform the linked action instead of the initial action?

A: No. Lieutenant Sai can only perform the initial action.

Lieutenant Sai and Ciena Ree are phrased the same way.  Only the Coordinated Action is available for the ability

For example, if Sai coordinated a TIE v1 to Boost, and the TIE v1 linked into a Focus, Sai couldn't use that linked focus to focus on their own.

I'll agree that the implication of this is that if Ciena Ree coordinates an Interceptor to Focus/Evade, then use Autothrusters to boost or barrel roll, then use the 90 degree rotate.  If the original action is a Boost/Barrel Roll, then the trigger for Ciena Ree is there and the Interceptor could rotate.

Another example: coordinating a TIE x1 to Focus, then link into a Barrel Roll with Ciena Ree will not allow a 90 rotate.

Thx for the help since this is getting (over)complicated for me.

On the original questions answer to 1 & 3 is yes and to 2 & 4 no ... if I’m reading that right.