Duciris

Android: Official Genesys System

1 hour ago, Cantriped said:

I think a lack of custom skills is simply a result of Genesys already having all the Skills you need to run a futuristic setting.

I don't think that's the case, since Terrinoth had a bunch of additional skills. If I had to guess, maybe they don't want spoilers or to put official promo pics of game text which could possibly change.

Edited by dresdinseven
It's early in the morning, did you mean skills or talents? I was talking about talents..

On 10/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, 2P51 said:

They've stuck with the ones they named in Genesys so I would think TI is a strong likely on deck.

I'll wager TI is actually last - it's too close to Star Wars. As long as they're still putting out Star Wars books, I don't think we'll see a TI book. I suspect TI will be their "new" in house Space Opera when they end the RPG line for SW.

Tannhauser or the steampunk one seem likely, though who knows.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think what they're planning to do is much of a secret, they mention 5 of their properties by name in the CRB, and we now have two of them.  They don't necessarily have a 'modern day' property, and super heroes get a mention. Those 2 are the wild cards imo.

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

I'll wager TI is actually last - it's too close to Star Wars. As long as they're still putting out Star Wars books, I don't think we'll see a TI book. I suspect TI will be their "new" in house Space Opera when they end the RPG line for SW.

Tannhauser or the steampunk one seem likely, though who knows.

Star Wars feels like it has been wrapping up for awhile now, what books are left to publish outside of a few setting/era books?

1 hour ago, 2P51 said:

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think what they're planning to do is much of a secret, they mention 5 of their properties by name in the CRB, and we now have two of them.  They don't necessarily have a 'modern day' property, and super heroes get a mention. Those 2 are the wild cards imo.

I have my fingers crossed for a Fighting the Flames of Fire and Love book, based off that one piece of firefighter art in the modern setting (jk)

6 hours ago, dresdinseven said:

Star Wars feels like it has been wrapping up for awhile now, what books are left to publish outside of a few setting/era books?

Agreed completely. But wrapping up isn't wrapped up.

6 hours ago, dresdinseven said:

I have my fingers crossed for a Fighting the Flames of Fire and Love book, based off that one piece of firefighter art in the modern setting (jk)

I mean, if Fate couldn't make a standalone firefighting book... I don't think we'll ever see a "mundane modern" book for Genesys. If we do, I'll buy one for you.

Super happy with the Android book too.  I had been hoping for one since the early days of their Android: Netrunner, using some of the cards as characters, net based adventures, or inspiration for events.

My guesses for next books are definitely on Arkham.  They have so much stuff about it, they could definitely write a lot more about it.  Plus they already have tons of art.  Otherwise maybe something on Legends of the Five Rings?  I believe there was an RPG about some years ago, so if rights aren't an issue, they'd go there?  They'd obviously want to go towards their main lines of products, and I don't believe Tanhauser or Twilight Imperium are their big attractions right now (and they overlap with the Star Wars books to some extent).

7 hours ago, Phoenixio said:

Super happy with the Android book too.  I had been hoping for one since the early days of their Android: Netrunner, using some of the cards as characters, net based adventures, or inspiration for events.

My guesses for next books are definitely on Arkham.  They have so much stuff about it, they could definitely write a lot more about it.  Plus they already have tons of art.  Otherwise maybe something on Legends of the Five Rings?  I believe there was an RPG about some years ago, so if rights aren't an issue, they'd go there?  They'd obviously want to go towards their main lines of products, and I don't believe Tanhauser or Twilight Imperium are their big attractions right now (and they overlap with the Star Wars books to some extent).

Legends of the Five Rings is already coming from FFG soon. It's not quite using Genesys, but close, it actually looks like a modified version of its original Roll and Keep mechanics.

As for next settings, I'd personally like to see them expand some on what they already have out. I don't think they'll do Arkham, market is already flooded with Cthulhu based games. I'd also love to see a good steampunk or modern setting - which they teased in their core book.

4 hours ago, Kalanthros said:

Legends of the Five Rings is already coming from FFG soon. It's not quite using Genesys, but close, it actually looks like a modified version of its original Roll and Keep mechanics.

As for next settings, I'd personally like to see them expand some on what they already have out. I don't think they'll do Arkham, market is already flooded with Cthulhu based games. I'd also love to see a good steampunk or modern setting - which they teased in their core book.

Tried L5R beginners box, my group found it a faithful adaptation and very easy to learn. You can use the opportunity in that system for guidelines on using advantages/triumphs.

If they every do Cthulhu Mythos setting, probably it will be more pulpy/noir than true horror; Genesys as a system is more cinematic, so I'm thinking Del Toro' pan's labyrinth or hellboy than a purist Lovecraft. I hope they would add a better madness  mechanic than the core, as it doesn't really help role-playing your metal illness well. 

...okay, so this is a bit disappointing. Not that it's an Android book, that's awesome and all, but not only does Genesys lack an OGL that'd unleash a torrent of third party content, but Fantasy Flight Games seems content with only releasing one book a year. So basically we're just going to be trickle-fed content.

I'll just assume it'll half a decade before I get some book relevant to doing a contemporary fantasy about a bunch of kids solving the mystery of where the missing people of a Washington State suburb while fighting supernatural monsters and uncovering the Masquerade (that is totally not located near the Snoqualmie Falls).

And, no, I'm not saying they should release more setting books. That's fine to release once a year. The problem is we don't have more toolkit books for this toolkit system. Like it would have been nice to have a gear book with expanded gear creation rules. Or a vehicle book. Or a threats book. Or maybe a book that re-adds the talent trees. Or a magic book.

Edited by Thanatos

3 hours ago, Thanatos said:

...okay, so this is a bit disappointing....Fantasy Flight Games seems content with only releasing one book a year. So basically we're just going to be trickle-fed content.

If they are altering rules and mechanics to adjust for settings, that will require a lot of play testing.  I much prefer that  they offer new and innovative content that can be borrowed for my own games rather than putting out multiple settings with the same mechanics found in the core book. 

In some

On 10/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, Thanatos said:

...okay, so this is a bit disappointing. Not that it's an Android book, that's awesome and all, but not only does Genesys lack an OGL that'd unleash a torrent of third party content, but Fantasy Flight Games seems content with only releasing one book a year. So basically we're just going to be trickle-fed content.

I'll just assume it'll half a decade before I get some book relevant to doing a contemporary fantasy about a bunch of kids solving the mystery of where the missing people of a Washington State suburb while fighting supernatural monsters and uncovering the Masquerade (that is totally not located near the Snoqualmie Falls).

And, no, I'm not saying they should release more setting books. That's fine to release once a year. The problem is we don't have more toolkit books for this toolkit system. Like it would have been nice to have a gear book with expanded gear creation rules. Or a vehicle book. Or a threats book. Or maybe a book that re-adds the talent trees. Or a magic book.

To defend FFG somewhat, they do have a difficult job of creating new content when the system's mechanical database is practically exhausted by Star Wars; in the other words they have to avoid copy-pasting SW's stats too much or accused of lacking creativity. Unfortunatly, most consumers of Genesys are also consumers FFG:SW, so the base aren't really too occupied on the lack of stats for particular things like gears, vehicles, or talents (which are easier to reskin from SW).

Edited by HelloRPG

On 10/2/2018 at 4:59 PM, Torg Smith said:

I hope they release the PDF of World of Android when they release the PDF of this new source book.

they probably will all of the other Genesys books are on pdf.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, Thanatos said:

13 hours ago, drainsmith said:

@Thanatos I am running that exact kind of game right now. It is stupid easy to do. Every necessary is in the core rule book. After 6 months into the game am I only now just starting to dip into Realms of Terrinoth for additional talent ideas.

OggDude's app which is over on the Star Wars pages made doing my own fantasy campaign over the last year a breeze.  Made my own Talent trees. Made new Talents. Used it for adding all manner of content.

The problem is we don't have more toolkit books for this toolkit system. Like it would have been nice to have a gear book with expanded gear creation rules. Or a vehicle book. Or a threats book. Or maybe a book that re-adds the talent trees. Or a magic book.

Hero Games used that publishing strategy for Hero System 6th Edition (another toolkit system) and bankrupted themselves before finishing the core line. Granted, FFG has more holdings than Hero Games does, so maybe they would be fine. However it doesn't seem like a winning plan to me anymore.

I think it would be better to finish publishing supplements for the exemplar settings before moving on to more generic supplements. A setting provides valuable context and flavor to the additional rules it presents.

Just look up "Tales from the Loop" for your Stranger Things / Twin Peaks RPG experience why wait 5 years.  You could even convert it into Genesys if you desire but it's cool just by it's self.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Eoen said:

Worlds of Android has been out for a year or two. This gives me some doubt, but I will hold out hope.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, HelloRPG said:

In some

To defend FFG somewhat, they do have a difficult job of creating new content when the system's mechanical database is practically exhausted by Star Wars; in the other words they have to avoid copy-pasting SW's stats too much or accused of lacking creativity. Unfortunatly, most consumers of Genesys are also consumers FFG:SW, so the base aren't really too occupied on the lack of stats for particular things like gears, vehicles, or talents (which are easier to reskin from SW).

On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 AM, Cantriped said:

Hero Games used that publishing strategy for Hero System 6th Edition (another toolkit system) and bankrupted themselves before finishing the core line. Granted, FFG has more holdings than Hero Games does, so maybe they would be fine. However it doesn't seem like a winning plan to me anymore.

I think it would be better to finish publishing supplements for the exemplar settings before moving on to more generic supplements. A setting provides valuable context and flavor to the additional rules it presents.

As a huge fan of HERO, this hits home. I think Hero Games had the same problem with Sixth Edition that Genesys does with Star Wars. Sixth Edition wasn't really that much of a break from 5th Edition Revised (not interested in continuing that conversation here). So all the content they released for 5th Edition (of which there was a lot) was still useful. The giant book of superhero powers? Didn't need that, I have the 5th edition one and it's close enough for government work.

Heck, look at the Expanded Talents listed here as a resource. That's a lot of Star Wars crunch that FFG can't really sell to Genesys players.

SO. There's not a huge demand for Genesys gear rules, because there are so many Star Wars books with gear rules and currently the overlap is high. At least, not yet. Maybe in four or five years when the Genesys fanbase has expanded.

What's left? Settings and adventures. And there's only so much money in a given GM's setting budget.

I'd be content to have 1 good book a year, keeping the line alive, selling well, keeping whatever current FFG IP is going going. Is it ideal? No. Is it understandable? Yes.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Eoen said:

Worlds of Android isn't a Genesys book. It's a coffee table book. I highly doubt we'll ever see it in PDF.

CitizenKeen, I agree with your analysis, as much as I would love to see some of those generic books made (as someone who has not invested in Star Wars). That being said, I grab the setting books because of the material I rip out and use for my own purposes.

21 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

As a huge fan of HERO, this hits home. I think Hero Games had the same problem with Sixth Edition that Genesys does with Star Wars. Sixth Edition wasn't really that much of a break from 5th Edition Revised (not interested in continuing that conversation here).

This seems quite likely (not interested in the edition war either). Although it is worth noting that not every Genesys player is a convertee from other FFG holdings.

For example; I'm jumping from Hero to Genesys as my go-to toolkit because I've been unable to find players willing to learn Hero; even using the much shorter Champions Complete as my primary rules reference. Genesys seemed like a good alternative, and was very different from the d20 systems I usually run (like Pathfinder).

So I don't actually have any of the star wars supplements for the Narrative Dice System. This would significantly narrow my available resources, but thankfully this community is awesome. There is already a great deal of freely available content.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:20 PM, Thanatos said:

The problem is we don't have more toolkit books for this toolkit system. Like it would have been nice to have a gear book with expanded gear creation rules. Or a vehicle book. Or a threats book. Or maybe a book that re-adds the talent trees. Or a magic book.

They seem to want the setting books to do double duty as both setting and toolkit book, the Terrinoth book had a bunch of new rules that could be used both for Fantasy and other settings. And of course expanded on the gear for fantasy settings.

It is not really ideal, since if you are not interested in the settings, you are still paying for a lot of pages of stuff you wont use. I think the Terrinoth book is like 50% pure lore (or maybe even more than that). Also some of the "new" rules have already been in some of the Star Wars books, like signature skills. And these things are also bound to be repeated in other setting books.
Although on the other hand doing tons of generic source books may not be sustainable either as others have pointed out.

I just hope to see continued support for each setting. It has been a year since Realms of Terrinoth came out and the only setting specific additional content we have seen is NPC cards. Which, admittedly are useful, I used them for Edge of the Empire. I guess they are waiting to see which setting sells well before going too crazy with additional support. Trying to fully support too many settings is (partly) what bankrupted TSR in the 90s.

And there still isn't a GM screen, not even a generic one.

Edited by Barl

On 10/13/2018 at 5:53 AM, Cantriped said:

This seems quite likely (not interested in the edition war either). Although it is worth noting that not every Genesys player is a convertee from other FFG holdings.

For example; I'm jumping from Hero to Genesys as my go-to toolkit because I've been unable to find players willing to learn Hero; even using the much shorter Champions Complete as my primary rules reference. Genesys seemed like a good alternative, and was very different from the d20 systems I usually run (like Pathfinder).

So I don't actually have any of the star wars supplements for the Narrative Dice System. This would significantly narrow my available resources, but thankfully this community is awesome. There is already a great deal of freely available content.

I'm a +1 to this as well. I never played (nor owned) any Star Wars PRG material (from any of the Star Wars versions). So what I have right now is the Core Rulebook and Terrinoth (and the expanded Talent from here).

I am also a Hero player; I wonder how many of us there are?  I play Hero weekly with the group, and the wife and I play Genesys solo. I wanted a universal system that was something of the opposite of Hero, and Genesys is what we play.

Partially its also difficult to make a universal tool kit, like a gear list, because Genesys is based on narrative interpretation of setting more than the mechanical bounds of the system. One example of this is that you can't just transfer mundane modern weapons into the sci-fi setting, but have to translate it so if fits some narrative sense (especially the rarity and price). I mean why won't you take the shotgun (166) and reskin it into every setting you can? My fave weapon that's only 500 credits, kills mostly everything in its range! This is made more complex with the variety of mods you can put on your equipment (magical, technological, and quality/materials).