Wetaas

New units spoilers

7 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Does it matter when your gonna be looking at it from 3 feet away?

It matters to me because I'm going to paint it. I'm going to show it off. I'd like to display it. That model is not one I I look forward to displaying. I'll paint it, but it'll go in the bag until I need it for a game. If it looked like the art, I'd probably even buy 2, one specifically to display. 

10 minutes ago, ImhotepMagi said:

It matters to me because I'm going to paint it. I'm going to show it off. I'd like to display it. That model is not one I I look forward to displaying. I'll paint it, but it'll go in the bag until I need it for a game. If it looked like the art, I'd probably even buy 2, one specifically to display. 

I was sort of disappointed with the sculpt as well. Not because it looks bad necessarily, but because the artwork from the card and the box look so much cooler so like you I keep thinking "awww man that could have been sweet!"

For what it's worth it was still fun to paint. Not sure why but I dig imperial officer uniforms and would love to see more variants on the table.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, ImhotepMagi said:

I suppose if you are looking at it from a purely game piece concept it works just fine. I find the artwork for the imperial officer to be inspiring. I find the miniature to be not.  Just because you don't care if it's better doesn't mean it couldn't have been better. I'm just saying I'd rather have the officer on the box if possible and it would have been possible if the sculptor had put more effort into the sculpt. 

Given this is all subjective, it's not really that relevant. Personally, I prefer the mini as sculpted, as I have more than enough commander miniatures with their pistol arms fully outstretched, and I think the model pose is much colder and, to me at least, more interesting. It looks like she's about to execute a POW, or is perhaps a little more at ease somewhere in the backlines.

1 hour ago, srMontresor said:

Given this is all subjective, it's not really that relevant. Personally, I prefer the mini as sculpted, as I have more than enough commander miniatures with their pistol arms fully outstretched, and I think the model pose is much colder and, to me at least, more interesting. It looks like she's about to execute a POW, or is perhaps a little more at ease somewhere in the backlines.

Well if a person standing around lazily making a phone call instead of cooly calling in troop movements while returning fire does it for you, more power to you. If there was an included POW for her to be executing, I actually would be fine with the pose. I just think the art on the box provides a more exciting scenario and would rather have that. YMMV.

2 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

It would be a pretty simple conversion.

You're not wrong. I've considered trying to fix it. My greenstuff work isn't fabulous, however and the arm/shoulder connection would have to be resculpted some to get a proper anatomical connection. The rest would be taking some of the roundness out of the face and fixing the hair, which might also necessitate some sculpting. Widening the stance some would also probably need some putty.

All in all not a lot, I just have some concerns as to whether I have the skill to fix it and would have preferred not having to go through the bother in the first place.

If you wait a week or two, someone will release a 3rd party head that looks like the concept art probably.  There is also a company that makes female heads for 40k that look pretty good.  Cn't think of the name of it off the top of my head though.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, ImhotepMagi said:

Well if a person standing around lazily making a phone call instead of cooly calling in troop movements while returning fire does it for you, more power to you. If there was an included POW for her to be executing, I actually would be fine with the pose. I just think the art on the box provides a more exciting scenario and would rather have that. YMMV.

If you need hyperbole to justify preferring an art piece over a sculpt, more power to you.

Given this plastic is re-posable under a stream of hot water, I'm not even sure why you felt like ranting.

1 hour ago, srMontresor said:

If you need hyperbole to justify preferring an art piece over a sculpt, more power to you.

Given this plastic is re-posable under a stream of hot water, I'm not even sure why you felt like ranting.

First, I don't have to justify liking one over the other. Just like you don't have to defend liking it.

Second, I've already tried reposing with a simple hot water treatment. It creates an unnatural angle with the shoulder. 

Third, I don't understand the need to come in and white knight the figure with an antagonistically dismissive tone when all I said to begin with is that I wished the mini looked more like the art because the art is awesome, IMO.

Edited by ImhotepMagi

On 1/31/2019 at 1:25 PM, ImhotepMagi said:

First, I don't have to justify liking one over the other. Just like you don't have to defend liking it.

Second, I've already tried reposing with a simple hot water treatment. It creates an unnatural angle with the shoulder. 

Third, I don't understand the need to come in and white knight the figure with an antagonistically dismissive tone when all I said to begin with is that I wished the mini looked more like the art because the art is awesome, IMO.

I haven't had any issues with using hot water, personally. That, of course, could be luck of the draw, but I have done it on several different sculpts.  I would recommend cutting a little of a join away with a knife and fixing (if needed) with green stuff afterward.