Jump to content
Wetaas

New units spoilers

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, crx3800 said:

Once we have more operatives, the generic commanders might be a solid choice so that you can run two high powered operatives instead of a solid commander. 

This is what I had thought. In my opinion, the generic commanders look good for a few reasons

1 - If you're doing a low point game (such as a 400 point intro game, or the like) they allow for you to use more units. Even Leia is 1/4th an army (roughly) when doing a 400 point battle.

2 - As you stated, running a generic commander would work really well if there's 2 High Powered operatives you'd like to use. (Such as say, Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister for Empire. Which, while they're not out yet, and probably won't be for another year or so, maybe more - I imagine they'll both be pretty powerful operatives that synergize with eachother.)

3 - If you're running say.... Luke, you could have the Rebel Officer following him around giving him dodge tokens, albeit you could just do that with Leia, and better.

------
In all honesty, I have a feeling that originally this box was just going to be 4 unit upgrades, but with the demand for a nameless Commander, they decided to make the Imperial Officer and Rebel Officer their own commander cards.

Personally, I would've preferred Nameless Commanders to come in their own customizable kits, with a new upgrade type. Not sure what to call it, but it could be a Specialization Upgrade. (have the regular commander fairly basic, with 1 or 2 basic keywords, but allow them to take 1 Specialization Upgrade that comes with say, 1 or 2 keywords, and what not.)  - we could still potentially get it in the future, but for now, I'm ok with what we're getting in terms of unnamed commanders, despite the fact that they are incredibly basic, and just look like worse versions of Veers and Leia.

Edited by Alino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the unreleased content we **know** of, I think this is probably the one I want the most.

Palp just seems expensive enough I’m more likely to take Vader along instead. He also gets the free attack after those slow moves, so more useful in that sense. Royal guards look cool but not sold on them yet (maybe as Vader escorts?)

I could easily see buying two of these to embed specialists in among the troops. I know I’d like to see some inspiring trooper units :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are thinking the Comm Specialist is just going to simply be a trooper that adds the Comms upgrade slot to a unit for a nominal (or no) cost above what an extra trooper would cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FSD said:

So are thinking the Comm Specialist is just going to simply be a trooper that adds the Comms upgrade slot to a unit for a nominal (or no) cost above what an extra trooper would cost?

That does seem likely between the otherwise unused comms upgrade and limited text on the Comms Specialist card. But adding the slot at no additional cost? Definitely not. We have regular trooper personnel for that. I'd guess they're 14/15 points for rebel/imperial (More expensive for Imperials because they have more expensive, more durable crops units).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FSD said:

So are thinking the Comm Specialist is just going to simply be a trooper that adds the Comms upgrade slot to a unit for a nominal (or no) cost above what an extra trooper would cost?

The issue being, the price would have to be based on the most expensive extra trooper for the faction (currently), plus the price of adding a comms slot. Especially since the stats/weapon for the Comms specialist changes based on the unit to which they are added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I feel like FFG has learned not to charge excessively for adding slots with X-Wing (because the slot itself has an opportunity cost) but yeah, the upgrade card itself won't be free, it'll be like 10-11 points depending on the faction because it's still +1 mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, UnitOmega said:

Well I feel like FFG has learned not to charge excessively for adding slots with X-Wing (because the slot itself has an opportunity cost) but yeah, the upgrade card itself won't be free, it'll be like 10-11 points depending on the faction because it's still +1 mini.

Well, looks like FFG has definately learned a lesson about opportunity cost for added slots.  Rebel Comms Technician is only 9 points but you have to take a Comms upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UnitOmega said:

Hopefully the one that comes in the specialist pack is a bit cheaper. 

This makes sense.

I'm going to guess what the Comms upgrade will be:

Comms Relay

8? points.

During the Command Phase, if you are within range 1-3 of a Commander unit, units at range 1-3 of you may receive orders as though the were within range 1-3 of a Commander unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I strongly suspect the comms upgrade card with each set is a relay.

I think that sounds like a good guess Indy_com.  Another possibility is maybe if the unit with the comms specialist gets issued and order, they can exhaust the relay and provide an additional order to another unit within 1-3 of them?  (sort of a version of HQ UPlink, but with some limitations).  Or, given those limitations (the comms unit needing to receive an order and the 1-3 range instead of anywhere) it is not an exhaust card?

Looking forward to seeing what all these specialists can do and how they will change things.  (Will be interesting to see what the new equipment upgrade will be).

Edited by Thevshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lukecook said:

The real question is...how many of these are we going to have to buy to outfit our armies? The imperial officer upgrade on snow troopers seems like it will be a must have. 

I’m already down for two for my Imperials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SSB_Shadow said:

Is the female officer on the front cover not an actual miniature?

Well, the imperial officer *is* female in the pack but the sculpt is not exactly like the picture but we knew that from the preview article. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FSD said:

Well, the imperial officer *is* female in the pack but the sculpt is not exactly like the picture but we knew that from the preview article. 

She seems nearly identical from the box I have.

The only thing in their picture that I see as different is the paint job they gave her compared to the box art.

Her sculpt seems a reasonable recreation of her art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Deathseed said:

She seems nearly identical from the box I have.

The only thing in their picture that I see as different is the paint job they gave her compared to the box art.

Her sculpt seems a reasonable recreation of her art.

She's *similar* to the art but there are lots of differences in the art. Hair pulled up tight under the cap, face slimmer, gun aimed instead of pointed down, determined glare, wider and more confident stance, etc.

The model we got was serviceable but it could have been so much better.

Edited by ImhotepMagi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ImhotepMagi said:

She's *similar* to the art but there are lots of differences in the art. Hair pulled up tight under the cap, face slimmer, gun aimed instead of pointed down, determined glare, wider and more confident stance, etc.

The model we got was serviceable but it could have been so much better.

That seems like a LOT of splitting hairs.

Seldom, if ever, do minis look identical to concept art. She seems close enough to me to represent a decent recreation of the concept. Who and what she is translates reasonably.

It's a miniature, not a date.

 

Edited by Deathseed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Deathseed said:

Seldom do minis, if ever, look identical to concept art. She seems close enough to me to represent a decent recreation of the concept.

It's a miniature, not a date.

 

Swipe left much?😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deathseed said:

That seems like a LOT of splitting hairs.

Seldom, if ever, do minis look identical to concept art. She seems close enough to me to represent a decent recreation of the concept. Who and what she is translates reasonably.

It's a miniature, not a date.

 

I suppose if you are looking at it from a purely game piece concept it works just fine. I find the artwork for the imperial officer to be inspiring. I find the miniature to be not.  Just because you don't care if it's better doesn't mean it couldn't have been better. I'm just saying I'd rather have the officer on the box if possible and it would have been possible if the sculptor had put more effort into the sculpt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ImhotepMagi said:

I suppose if you are looking at it from a purely game piece concept it works just fine. I find the artwork for the imperial officer to be inspiring. I find the miniature to be not.  Just because you don't care if it's better doesn't mean it couldn't have been better. I'm just saying I'd rather have the officer on the box if possible and it would have been possible if the sculptor had put more effort into the sculpt. 

Does it matter when your gonna be looking at it from 3 feet away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...