Kilrex

Scoundrels and Bounty Hunters

I love me some Scum. The jankier the better. But what upsets me? Han flying crew for Boba Fett! Boba froze Han and then delivered a Hansicle to Jabba. Why would Han work with Boba again?

They don't belong on the same ship. I wish there was a scoundrel & bounty hunter identifier with a rule about not having a bounty hunter & scoundrel on the same ship together. Unless one of them was frozen of course...

To be fair, given that Boba died a couple of hours after Han was unfrozen, it’s a fair bet that any ship flying the pair of them is from prior to that in the timeline. 

Which doesn’t matter at all, because if you want to be strict about such things, you can never have Kanan Jarrus or Saw Gerrera on the same table as Luke Skywalker, or any of the pilots who died at Yavin facing later Empire ships, or Asajj Ventress with anyone from the Galactic Civil War era. It’s just a game. 

The Scum faction is probably the biggest outlier in terms of falling within a specific timeline. Every other faction generally falls within a specific period. There are some weird overlaps between pre-ANH and post-Empire characters, but nothing huge.

Scum, OTOH, will run the gamut from Clone Wars era stuff like Maul's Sith Infiltrator, all the way to Unkar Plutt's QuadJumper.

24 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The Scum faction is probably the biggest outlier in terms of falling within a specific timeline. Every other faction generally falls within a specific period. There are some weird overlaps between pre-ANH and post-Empire characters, but nothing huge.

Scum, OTOH, will run the gamut from Clone Wars era stuff like Maul's Sith Infiltrator, all the way to Unkar Plutt's QuadJumper.

You know, if we just removed Scum from the game completely, all these problems would vanish, too...

1 hour ago, Kilrex said:

I love me some Scum. The jankier the better. But what upsets me? Han flying crew for Boba Fett! Boba froze Han and then delivered a Hansicle to Jabba. Why would Han work with Boba again?

They don't belong on the same ship. I wish there was a scoundrel & bounty hunter identifier with a rule about not having a bounty hunter & scoundrel on the same ship together. Unless one of them was frozen of course...

This is a game where Luke Skywalker can dogfight Luke Skywalker. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Graeme Lyon said:

To be fair, given that Boba died a couple of hours after Han was unfrozen, it’s a fair bet that any ship flying the pair of them is from prior to that in the timeline. 

AFAIK, Boba was never confirmed dead in Canon and there's several hints he might have survived. 

Going back to the original topic, there's plenty of ways Han and Boba might have crossed paths before ESB. 

Also, ultimately this is a game where you used to be able to fly Palpatine, Vader and Kylo in the same squad, so fluff never ranked very high on the developers' list of priorities. 

1 hour ago, Kilrex said:

The problem with this distinction is that once you start dividing up Scum, you end up with a bunch of little factions. Black Sun and Hutt Cartel shouldn’t work together, you have various bounty hunters who are rivals, Mandalorians who don’t actually fit in with any of them, scrap dealers, and a law enforcement officer. 

Technically, Saw and his Partisans shouldn’t work with Rebel Alliance Characters, but the headache of separating them out for a dog fighting game adds very, very little. 

On a lore note, the Scum Han Gunner is young Han, who hasn’t been encased in carbonite or have a bounty for Jabba yet. He doesn’t have a personal reason not to join forces with Boba yet. 

8 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

On a lore note, the Scum Han Gunner is young Han, who hasn’t been encased in carbonite or have a bounty for Jabba yet. He doesn’t have a personal reason not to join forces with Boba yet. 

Also, poor Boba probably still hadn't gotten over his "dad"'s death by that point, and was probably sobbing about not wanting to fly alone until it started getting really awkward, so Han didn't have much choice but to agree.

The way the other factions are divided by era now makes it feel like Scum should as well, even (if not especially) from a gameplay perspective. Leaving Scum this way could easily mean it gets way more ships and options than anyone else. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to split the faction up since Scum characters tend to overlap the eras a lot. Jabba exists in prequel and original trilogy eras, and a guy like Hondo Ohnaka has confirmed presence in all three eras (even if one of those is currently only for the sake of Disneyland).

Dividing Scum further into factions like Black Sun or Hutt Cartel works in general, but would probably end up going the other way. This might limit some of those factions too much since such factions haven't been too relevant in the movies. Either that, or you'd end up with so much overlap remaining between them that the division would just be confusing and feel arbitrary to someone who's not really well versed on those stories. Also, you'd probably end up with some independent characters with nowhere to go, and might end up leaving behind a catch-all generic Scum faction for them anyway.

Being split into Smugglers and Bounty Hunters has been done in other situations, but I think would end up feeling fairly arbitrary in a more freeform game like this, and again probably lead to some independent characters who don't belong in either.

Then again, maybe it's not so important after all. Since Scum forces tend to be an afterthought in the movies, they may only end up with a little more options than any other faction after adding everything up, in which case it's more of a feature of the faction than a problem.

Edited by Jokubas

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Also, poor Boba probably still hadn't gotten over his "dad"'s death by that point, and was probably sobbing about not wanting to fly alone until it started getting really awkward, so Han didn't have much choice but to agree.

Would be over 12 years since Jango's death by that point, so I doubt there would be much sobbing from Boba. I mean, you saw Boba during the Clone Wars, right? Though you're probably right that in this kind of team up, Han didn't have a choice.

5 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Would be over 12 years since Jango's death by that point, so I doubt there would be much sobbing from Boba. I mean, you saw Boba during the Clone Wars, right? Though you're probably right that in this kind of team up, Han didn't have a choice.

Have you ever experienced the death of the original from which you were cloned?  It's not something you get over quickly.

Sorry, my memory's not that great.  I don't remember Boba in the Clone Wars (assuming you're talking about the series).

Edited by JJ48

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Have you ever experienced the death of the original from which you were cloned?  It's not something you get over quickly.

Sorry, my memory's not that great.  I don't remember Boba in the Clone Wars (assuming you're talking about the series).

No, but this isn't exactly in character for clones of Jango in general, and Boba in particular. Have you?

I am referring to the series. He pops up several times through out it. And while his first arc is about getting revenge for his father's death, there is zero signs of sobbing. Murderous rage, yes. But no sobbing.

21 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

No, but this isn't exactly in character for clones of Jango in general, and Boba in particular. Have you?

Oh, sure.  Dozens of times.  No matter how often it happens, losing a loved clone never becomes any easier.

21 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

I am referring to the series. He pops up several times through out it. And while his first arc is about getting revenge for his father's death, there is zero signs of sobbing. Murderous rage, yes. But no sobbing.

I do seem to vaguely recall him, now that you mention it.  Still, it's easier to forget grief when you have a blaster in your hands and a job to do.  When you're in a long, lonely jump through hyperspace?  That's when it hits you.  Sometimes, it even gets so bad that you just want to end it all by committing spacercide (intentionally hypering through a star, black hole, or other massive object).  If I've seen it once I've seen it a hundred times.

Edited by JJ48

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Oh, sure.  Dozens of times.  No matter how often it happens, losing a loved clone never becomes any easier.

I do seem to vaguely, now that you mention it.  Still, it's easier to forget grief when you have a blaster in your hands and a job to do.  When you're in a long, lonely jump through hyperspace?  That's when it hits you.  Sometimes, it even gets so bad that you just want to end it all by committing spacercide (intentionally hypering through a star, black hole, or other massive object).  If I've seen it once I've seen it a hundred times.

Uh huh.

2 hours ago, Kilrex said:

I've posted this in similar threads before, but it's still worth posting again. :lol:

42 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

Since Scum forces tend to be an afterthought in the movies, they may only end up with a little more options than any other faction after adding everything up, in which case it's more of a feature of the faction than a problem.

I think this is the reason to not split up Scum into smaller factions. Of the 18 ships Scum has in its inventory, ~10 are from Legends, and many were added early on to catch the faction up to the original two factions. Only 7 ships from Scum are seen being flown by "Scum" in the movies or TV shows, and that includes the Escape Craft. And even more telling for the future of the Scum faction is that only 4 ships are *new* designs from any of the new movies or TV shows (and that still includes the Escape Craft). 

TLDR: Things are about to get really dry in the Scum pipeline.

3 hours ago, Kilrex said:

Han actually cruised with Bobba fett while they both worked for Jabba.

thats actually the whole reason Han gets frozen in carbonite, because he piloted for Jabba but crossed him and went AWOL.  one of Hans Jobs in the EU was actually piloting the Star Jewel, Jabbas luxury Corvette, and Bobba Fett was onboard all the time.

seperately, its called cronology.  Han getting caught by Fett happened AFTER they flew together... because time