LordCola

Single Strongest Attack?

I was wondering, what is the single strongest attack in the game?

So the rules are: You can have any legal fleet and be in what ever situation you want and roll a perfect roll. What is the single strongest attack possible. No double arcs. Just one attack.

My bet is on a Salvation Neb with Sato, Spinal, second player opening salvos and concentrate fire command. That is 5 black dice which can each hit for 3 dmg and 2 reads which can hit for 2 dmg each. In a perfect roll that would come to a grand total of 19 dmg in a single attack. You could take this one step further by constructing a situation where you can guarantee that the enemy will suffer a crit (for example by depleting all def tokens). Then a structural would raise the dmg to 20.

Can you beat that?

Edited by LordCola

49 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I was wondering, what is the single strongest attack in the game?

So the rules are: You can have any legal fleet and be in what ever situation you want and roll a perfect roll. What is the single strongest attack possible. No double arcs. Just one attack.

My bet is on a Salvation Neb with Sato, Spinal, second player opening salvos and concentrate fire command. That is 5 black dice which can each hit for 3 dmg and 2 reads which can hit for 2 dmg each. In a perfect roll that would come to a grand total of 19 dmg in a single attack. You could take this one step further by constructing a situation where you can guarantee that the enemy will suffer a crit (for example by depleting all def tokens). Then a structural would raise the dmg to 20.

Can you beat that?

MC-75 Ordnance with Expanded Launchers, External Racks and the same scenario of Opening Salvo being 2nd player. That is 9 black dice and 2 blue for a potential of 20 damage.

EDIT: forgot to add 1 black from concentrate fire. That is 22 damage

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

VSD1 Dominator, Spinals, External Racks, Opening Salvo, Concentrate Fire?

4 red (3 base, Spinals) (8 damage), 2 blue (both for Dominator) (2 damage), 8 black (3 base, 2 for External, 2 for Opening, 1 for CF) (16 damage), and as you said you pull out a Structural for +1.

I make that 27, but check my maths

ISD-Kuat w/ Ex-Racks, HIE, Devastator, Opening Salvo 2nd Player.  3 Blacks + 2 from ExRacks + 2 from Opening Salvo = 14 Damage.  3 Reds = 6 Damage.  2 Blues + 4 from Devastator = 6 Damage + HIE Crit (3 Damage) = 9 Damage.  Total = 29 Damage total.  Oh, plus Concentrate Fire black... 31 damage.  And Fire Control Teams for a second crit for a structural... 32 damage.

Edit: @jp82729 pointed out that with Misaligned Projector instead of Structural, you can increase the damage to 37.

Edited by Khyros

Last game I had a VSD-2 with QBTs, Leading Shots, and a ConFire dial put 10 damage on a MC75, if it wasn't for ECMs I could have killed it, because the next round was a 7 damage shot, but again ECMs ruined it.

Another time I had a Raider with ExRacks dump 8 damage on a CR90, with an accuracy on the redirect.

Neither are the highest damage attacks possible, but these are the best attacks I've made in a while.

Edited by Piratical Moustache

As Khyros mentioned, the Kuat is top dog. All of the ISDs can max out at 24 damage or above (not taking into account crit effects like HIE or structurals, just pure dice damage). Here's a couple of other non-ISD big hitters with high pure dice damage (again, not taking into account crit effects or structurals) :

MC80 Assault

Opening Salvo, Ackbar, Defiance, Enhanced Armament, CF

7 reds, 2 blues, 4 blacks from side at close/medium range

Max damage = 24 

VSD I

Opening Salvo, Spinals, Dominator, External Racks, CF

4 reds, 2 blues, 8 black from front at close range

Max damage = 26

MC30 Scout

Opening Salvo, Ackbar, External Racks, Enhanced Armament, CF

5 reds, 8 blacks from side at close range

Max damage = 26

MC75 Ordnance

Opening Salvo, Ackbar, External Racks, Rapid Reload, CF

Max damage = 26

Edited by jp82729

59 minutes ago, Khyros said:

ISD-Kuat w/ Ex-Racks, HIE, Devastator, Opening Salvo 2nd Player.  3 Blacks + 2 from ExRacks + 2 from Opening Salvo = 14 Damage.  3 Reds = 6 Damage.  2 Blues + 4 from Devastator = 6 Damage + HIE Crit (3 Damage) = 9 Damage.  Total = 29 Damage total.  Oh, plus Concentrate Fire black... 31 damage.  And Fire Control Teams for a second crit for a structural... 32 damage.

This. One can make it up to 37 by changing a crit to Projector Misaligned and attacking Aspiration with strategically placed shields, so the crit will force it to lose 6 shields.

No one above.

5 hours ago, LordCola said:

Per the rules a z-95 shooting the most expensive ISD-II you could imagine which has no shields left, no defense tokens and full of damage cards but one and no Brunson and targeting the rear hull zone (no7th) and no dictor nearby. Roll a hit and destroy the ship. 

Any of your examples killed anything so I guess I won.?

Edited by ovinomanc3r

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

No one above.

Per the rules a z-95 shooting the most expensive ISD-II you could imagine which has no shields left, no defense tokens and full of damage cards but one. Roll a hit and destroy the ship. 

Any of your examples killed anything so I guess I won.?

“Brunsen.”

4 hours ago, PT106 said:

This. One can make it up to 37 by changing a crit to Projector Misaligned and attacking Aspiration with strategically placed shields, so the crit will force it to lose 6 shields.

Actually, I'm counting 38 damage...   

Faction: Imperial 

Assault: Opening Salvo 

ISD Kuat Refit (112) • Agent Kallus (3) • • Fire-Control Team (2) • Quad Laser Turrets (5) • • Cluster Bombs (5) • Heavy Ion Emplacements (9) • • External Racks (3) • Devastator (10) • = 149 Points   

With Opening Salvo and a concentrate fire command and 4 discarded defense tokens, it can roll 3 red, 6 blue and 8 black dice for a total of 28 damage from the front arch at close range from those dice alone. On top of that, there's the 3 Heavy Ion Emplacements shield damage, plus additional 6 shields gone because of the Projector Misaligned damage card when attacking a MC75 Aspiration on the opposite shield sector of its 6 shields or attacking an SSD at one of the rear hull zones... plus, of course, 1 additional structural damage. All in all, 38 anti-ship damage.  

Alternatively, this Kuat Devastator can throw 2 red, 5 blue and 3 black anti squadron dice for a total of 12 anti-squadron damage when attacking a unique squadron from the front at close range. 

Or as another option, it can roll 1 red, 5 blue and 2 black dice as a counter roll when being attacked by a unique squadron at the front arch at distance 1 for a total of 9 damage plus 4 damage from Cluster Bombs on top of that. All in all, a maximum of 13 anti-squadron damage...

Just in case... ?

Edited by JadinED

7 minutes ago, JadinED said:

plus, of course, 1 additional structural damage.?

You can't have the default crit damage to be both projector misaligned and structural at the same time.

Ah, you're right.

The first critical effect is the one of  Heavy Ion Emplacements and the second one is either Projector Misaligned for maximum damage OR Structural Damage for maximum destructiveness...

37 it is.

Edited by JadinED

I wonder if you could beat a lot of these with a single squadron activation? B-wings can do four damage each (3 natural + structural damage), and you can activate 6 at a time for a total of 24. Realistically, that's gonna beat anything short of 48 which will be braced.

Either way, Super Star Destroyer soon might both beat a lot of these scores, and require them....

With a second fire arch, both a Concentrate Fire Command and a 

Squadron command (with bomber attacks) because of Thrawn and ramming, it's definitely possible to destroy a campaign SSD with 33 hull in one activation...

1 hour ago, JadinED said:

With a second fire arch, both a Concentrate Fire Command and a 

Squadron command (with bomber attacks) because of Thrawn and ramming, it's definitely possible to destroy a campaign SSD with 33 hull in one activation...

You say this... but I don't think it's realistic.  If we're no longer talking about theoretical and talking probable... Then the only thing that stands a chance is a BTVenger.  Let's go with an ISD-1 since it can trigger 6 squads over the Kuat's 3.  Those 6 squads would have to be Decimators since they can do 3 damage each (that's 132 points of Decimators).  Then you'll need an ISD-1 w/ Thrawn, BT, EHB, Grint, Spinals, Avenger... 

I'm actually not 100% sure of the timing (and therefore if this actually works)... But you start your activation with a revealed Thrawn CF dial & a Squadron token on your ship.  You reveal a Squadron dial, and upon reveal, spend the squadron token to activate BT, flipping over everything but 1 contain.  Then you spend the dial + token to activate 6 squadrons, doing 18 damage.  The SSD is going to freely spend his redirects, even though it discards them, but then he has 3 side shields, 6 front shields, and 6 hull.  Except he knows you'll lock out one of his braces, so one attack will be braced down to 2 damage, and only 5 hull damage goes through.  Avenger attacks and taps his title, throwing 4 blacks, 2 blues, 4 reds, doing 8 + 2 + 8 damage = 18 max.  He spends his final green contain to prevent any crits.  Now you take your second shot of 2 red 2 blacks for a max of 8 damage.  Except he will brace and contain that for a max of 4 damage.  27 hull damage goes through.

Sure, you can a add in MW or Opening Salvo to add a few dice, upping the hull damage by 4 (now 31)... But that's not realistic that your first shot taken will be at close range.  I suppose it's possible, but it still doesn't kill him.  Advanced Gunnery does it though, allowing your second shot to be from the front arc, it is 3black + 2blue +4red = 16 max damage, braced to 8... total of 35 hull.  Bam!  You've killed him in 1 activation!  it just required you to roll 18 hits from squadrons on a 3/8 chance,  7 double hits on blacks with a 2/8 chance, 8 double hits on reds with a 1/8 chance, and 2 blue hits on a 4/8 chance... I guess you technically have 3 extra damage though, so you could fail 3 of those rolls (and your ISD might have a reroll token, or even a leading shots on the big attack).  Requiring all 35 hull damage though is a 1.96e-18% chance of happening.  In non-scientific method, that's a .00000000000000000196% chance of happening! 

Or in C-3PO numbers, the odds of that happening are approximately 5 sextillion, one hundred twelve quintillion, five hundred forty three quadrillion, three hundred ninety six trillion, eight hundred eighty nine billion, three hundred eighty nine million, seven hundred eight thousand, six hundred fifty four to ONE (5,112,543,396,889,389,708,654 to 1)

Now, what I will point out is that this was attacking the front hull zone with 6 shields.  If you attack another hull zone, it could end up needing 3 less damage, and you could end up killing it with Opening Salvo, Most Wanted, or Advanced Gunnery.

Edited by Khyros

2 hours ago, Khyros said:

You say this... but I don't think it's realistic.  If we're no longer talking about theoretical and talking probable... Then the only thing that stands a chance is a BTVenger.  Let's go with an ISD-1 since it can trigger 6 squads over the Kuat's 3.  Those 6 squads would have to be Decimators since they can do 3 damage each (that's 132 points of Decimators).  Then you'll need an ISD-1 w/ Thrawn, BT, EHB, Grint, Spinals, Avenger... 

I'm actually not 100% sure of the timing (and therefore if this actually works)... But you start your activation with a revealed Thrawn CF dial & a Squadron token on your ship.  You reveal a Squadron dial, and upon reveal, spend the squadron token to activate BT, flipping over everything but 1 contain.  Then you spend the dial + token to activate 6 squadrons, doing 18 damage.  The SSD is going to freely spend his redirects, even though it discards them, but then he has 3 side shields, 6 front shields, and 6 hull.  Except he knows you'll lock out one of his braces, so one attack will be braced down to 2 damage, and only 5 hull damage goes through.  Avenger attacks and taps his title, throwing 4 blacks, 2 blues, 4 reds, doing 8 + 2 + 8 damage = 18 max.  He spends his final green contain to prevent any crits.  Now you take your second shot of 2 red 2 blacks for a max of 8 damage.  Except he will brace and contain that for a max of 4 damage.  27 hull damage goes through.

Sure, you can a add in MW or Opening Salvo to add a few dice, upping the hull damage by 4 (now 31)... But that's not realistic that your first shot taken will be at close range.  I suppose it's possible, but it still doesn't kill him.  Advanced Gunnery does it though, allowing your second shot to be from the front arc, it is 3black + 2blue +4red = 16 max damage, braced to 8... total of 35 hull.  Bam!  You've killed him in 1 activation!  it just required you to roll 18 hits from squadrons on a 3/8 chance,  7 double hits on blacks with a 2/8 chance, 8 double hits on reds with a 1/8 chance, and 2 blue hits on a 4/8 chance... I guess you technically have 3 extra damage though, so you could fail 3 of those rolls (and your ISD might have a reroll token, or even a leading shots on the big attack).  Requiring all 35 hull damage though is a 1.96e-18% chance of happening.  In non-scientific method, that's a .00000000000000000196% chance of happening! 

Or in C-3PO numbers, the odds of that happening are approximately 5 sextillion, one hundred twelve quintillion, five hundred forty three quadrillion, three hundred ninety six trillion, eight hundred eighty nine billion, three hundred eighty nine million, seven hundred eight thousand, six hundred fifty four to ONE (5,112,543,396,889,389,708,654 to 1)

Now, what I will point out is that this was attacking the front hull zone with 6 shields.  If you attack another hull zone, it could end up needing 3 less damage, and you could end up killing it with Opening Salvo, Most Wanted, or Advanced Gunnery.

Actual, you could use phantoms, which would get you 4 damage each (and they're cheaper too!)

8 hours ago, jp82729 said:

MC80 Assault

Opening Salvo, Ackbar, Defiance, Enhanced Armament, CF

7 reds, 2 blues, 4 blacks from side at close range

Max damage = 24

Small correction: This can happen at close-medium range. And while we're in the perfect world, you could drop those two blues and still get 22 damage at long range.

12 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

Last game I had a VSD-2 with QBTs, Leading Shots, and a ConFire dial put 10 damage on a MC75, if it wasn't for ECMs I could have killed it, because the next round was a 7 damage shot, but again ECMs ruined it.

I had a similar result in my last tournament when my VSD-2 put 10 damage on a Kuat, aided by a concentrate fire dial I believe but no offensive upgrades other than Disposable Capacitors (which I was using for that attack).  In my game all the damage did get through as Sloane + TIE Fighters had removed all his defence tokens apart from the contain, and he was unshielded on the defending side.  I finished it off in the squadron phase with my Lambda.

Obviously VSD-2's don't have as high a potential damage output as VSD-1's or ISD's, but at long range there aren't many other ships that have the same potential as a VSD-2 with D-Caps.  Cymoon and MC80 Home One with Ackbar are the only other two I can think of, and just throwing red dice they can vary quite drastically.

10 hours ago, Khyros said:

Never tell us the odds.

And after the attack your opponent just say "scatter" :P

Well, if the squadron attack does count for the "single" attack, than it is way more.
Max damage is over 50 in this case.

ISD I with hangar bays and 6 Phantoms. This alone is 24 damage. The ISD I, with Spinal, Devestator, Opening Salvo, HIE is another 27. 28 with Fire Control Team and a structure hit. Just make sure you have the Flight Commander as well (for the 3 extra damage from the HIE).
If you use Thrawn in this scenario, you can do even two more (CF and squadron token).
With this ship you have even room for Rapid Launch Bays. To be sure the squadrons drop where you need them. Ok, in this case only 5 Phantoms. You need to move the 6th.

But this 54 damage is really a hypothetical value. For me it would be more something like 10 (red dice HATE me, and via versa).

It is just not a "single" attack anymore. But it is still a really nice, impressive number for one actvation (with only one shot from the ship).

Edited by Tokra

19 hours ago, jp82729 said:

MC75 Ordnance

Opening Salvo, Ackbar, External Racks, Rapid Reload, CF

Max damage = 26

The MC75 Armored can even do 27 (if you count the bonus damage from the HIE crit as damage).

With External Racks, Enhanced Armament, Ackbar, Opening Salvo, CF and HIE. This will be 6 red, 2 blue and 5 black. With 3 extra damage from the HIE.