Grutter

Rate FFG Marketing for Keyforge from 1 (Worst) to 5 (Best)

6 hours ago, Amanal said:

At the announcement event they did talk to the app. It should come out when the game does.

Well that's what I'm saying - we've had no indication, announcement, information or confirmation that the app will be released with the game. We've had no indication, announcement, information or confirmation that the app will enable online play (free or not).

I really hope that the app will release on day one and will enable free online play of your physical decks - that'd be great - but the thing is that's such an awesome deal that you'd think it would have been a big part of the marketing so far - so the lack of information is indicative of it either not being part of the plans or being a while off being ready.

You get a house card if you download the app at the Launch Party Events. But, yes, from there we know nothing about what the app does, how it works or anything.

The OP section has 5 more reveals. So there is a chance we learn more about the App. Certainly well get more info on OP.

2 hours ago, kingbobb said:

From FFG?  0.  I've seen 0 promotion from FFG about Keyforge.  

I'd give any promotion effort credit to the gaming community.  

What kind of promotion do you expect?  They've been holding demos at conventions (I got to play in September at a convention in Calgary, AB) as well as sending retailers information on organized play and even doing a live Twitch stream on FFG's own chanel demonstrating the game.  They made the reveal at GenCon, giving away hundreds of decks and teaching attendees how to play.  They've published more than 20 articles related to KeyForge on www.fantasyflightgames.com.

If you've seen 0 promotion you just aren't looking...

A lot of what you speak of isn't making new customers for the most part, it is keeping what you have.

I live in Sydney Australia, I have seen a part of a twitch stream made by two employees, the top 8 game of London and those 20 articles. Beyond the reveal at GenCon FFG hasn't achieved anything to players that were not watching, interested and excited back then. Nothing here has added a single opportunity for some one that didn't know about the game to learn.

But then maybe that is the point, there is zero marketing if you aren't looking, I don't go looking for McDonalds or Coke adds but boy do I see a lot of them. If you walk into a game store that sells Magic what do you see? There should be flyers for players to sign up for the Pre-Release and Release events, posters and such for the game store to draw attention to the upcoming release. Demo decks for the stores, POS stuff, pre-order gifts to thank players for pre-ordering and much more.

There definitely is some of that.  At the convention I attended last month there was a poster taller than me promoting the game and an open table to demo the game attended by several employees.  This was not a big convention.  Hundreds of demo decks have recently been sent out to retailers.  The thing is, this game will not bring in the sort of money Magic does, so to expect the same type of marketing isn't realistic.  Some stores are excited for the game and are holding regular demos, at least one store simply gave their demo decks away.  FFG can't control how retailers participate, but they are trying at least a little.  Apparently there are currently Pre-Launch kits being sent out to stores with promos and such, but my local store told me only 15 kits were available for the entirety of the province I live in, and they missed out.

This is a big gamble for FFG.  They've been holding preview events all over Europe, but they were limited to 64 attendees.  Yes, it would be great if they could throw the kind of money Wizards can afford at the game, but given their comparatively small budget I think they're doing a pretty good job.  Add to that the incredibly low cost of the game and I'm actually a little surprised by how much they are doing to promote it.  Maybe it's just because I come from things from the board game side, but in my experience this game is getting a bigger push from FFG than any other game I've ever been even remotely interested in.

Saying FFG is putting nothing into promotion is simply wrong.  It may not be as much as some might like, but there definitely more than a game usually gets...

On 10/22/2018 at 1:18 PM, dperello said:

What kind of promotion do you expect?  They've been holding demos at conventions (I got to play in September at a convention in Calgary, AB) as well as sending retailers information on organized play and even doing a live Twitch stream on FFG's own chanel demonstrating the game.  They made the reveal at GenCon, giving away hundreds of decks and teaching attendees how to play.  They've published more than 20 articles related to KeyForge on www.fantasyflightgames.com.

If you've seen 0 promotion you just aren't looking...

To some degree, you're right:  I'm not looking.  I only attend one con a year (Adepticon) which was held before Keyforge was ready for launch, I believe.  What little I have seen is from third party sites that decided to review and support the game, mostly Team Covenant.  In terms of FFG's efforts, I'd expect to see preview events at the LGS, or a poster or two the LGS can hang.  

Contrast that to news I see about other FFG products:  Star Wars Destiny and X-Wing.  I see FFG articles posted about them all the time on Facebook, in addition to all the third party content created about those games.  And I don't even play them any longer.  For a new product about to launch, Keyforge has a relatively low key promotion wave going.  

Which must in some ways be working, because I see the game discussed a lot, and has generated a good deal of anticipation for the release.  

I agree with dperello:  It's being pushed pretty much in all the same venues.  There isn't much/any push to reach gamers that don't frequent the con scene.  

2 hours ago, kingbobb said:

I agree with dperello:  It's being pushed pretty much in all the same venues.  There isn't much/any push to reach gamers that don't frequent the con scene.  

You seem to have missed to part where I mentioned demo decks being sent to retailers.  If you have a retailer near you that wants to support the game then you'll be well aware of it and will have likely played it already.  If you have a store that doesn't care they may have simply given their decks away.  FFG can't control what a store does...

20 hours ago, dperello said:

You seem to have missed to part where I mentioned demo decks being sent to retailers.  If you have a retailer near you that wants to support the game then you'll be well aware of it and will have likely played it already.  If you have a store that doesn't care they may have simply given their decks away.  FFG can't control what a store does...

No, I saw it.  I'm fortunate enough to be close to 3 FLGS.  I haven't seen any Keyforge events mentioned by them.  As far as I know, they haven't held any events for the game.  If FFG had done a better job promoting it, potential customers would have shown interest and asked about events.  FFG sending demo decks to stores, with no organized preview event to go with them, supports my impression that FFG has done 0 to promote Keyforge outside of the con scene.  Other people will have different experiences.  But the question was how would I rate FFG's promoting of the game.  Telling me all the things other people have noticed has no bearing on my experience.

I live in NJ, USA and the only reason I know about this game is that the store I often play FFG games at let me know it exists.  I then started my own YouTube searches.  Now that The Algorithm knows I care, I am seeing content on YT, like Team Covenant's play streams.  But it is entirely possible I'd have missed this if I hadn't gone in to pick up my comics at my FLGS.

2, I guess. They've done a good job of getting me excited, but give us a release date, already!  I've heard rumors of Nov. 15, but that's never been officially confirmed. 

My FLGS wants to publicize for a launch event tournament, but the distributor for my region has no idea when we'll be able to get product, so there's no way to advertise the Organized Play yet. 

Then again, Alliance is the only distributor who can sell FFG products in the southeast, and they might be planning to make the product available in Atlanta and Florida for a couple of weeks and give my city what's left (if anything). They've been known to do stuff like that. 

36 minutes ago, JorduSpeaks said:

2, I guess. They've done a good job of getting me excited, but give us a release date, already!  I've heard rumors of Nov. 15, but that's never been officially confirmed. 

My FLGS wants to publicize for a launch event tournament, but the distributor for my region has no idea when we'll be able to get product, so there's no way to advertise the Organized Play yet. 

Then again, Alliance is the only distributor who can sell FFG products in the southeast, and they might be planning to make the product available in Atlanta and Florida for a couple of weeks and give my city what's left (if anything). They've been known to do stuff like that. 

Pretty sure 15th of November is confirmed in the OP article https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/keyforge/launch-party/

33 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Pretty sure 15th of November is confirmed in the OP article https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/keyforge/launch-party/

Thanks for the link! My FLGS is on the list, but it remains to be seen if the distributor will play nice.  My store rep asked them about the launch kits this week, and they pretended to not know what he was talking about. That's probably a bad sign. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:46 AM, Amanal said:

I am hearing from here and there that Star Wars Destiny gets an expansion on the 8th, seriously, zero is too high if that is the case.

The good thing is that Destiny is pretty much dead anyways, so I hope that it won't cannibalize the hype for Keyforge.

Just now, Ignithas said:

The good thing is that Destiny is pretty much dead anyways, so I hope that it won't cannibalize the hype for Keyforge.

Destiny is having some trouble with releases, but attendance at every Nationals event over the past few months has been up from last year. Calling the game dead is just silly.

3 hours ago, Palpster said:

Destiny is having some trouble with releases, but attendance at every Nationals event over the past few months has been up from last year. Calling the game dead is just silly.

Do you have numbers for this? My experience is that a lot of local metas have been disapearing within the last 1 1/4 years and products are pretty much all the time discounted. We had Store Championships with 4 people and Regionals with 12 (because the store is near Germany). And I heard that this is a wide spread problem.

Edited by Ignithas

They've been a bit slow about it, but they've been pretty generous to the LGSs with it, if a bit sluggish about giving specific instructions and guidelines regarding release, pre-order, pre-release events and promos etc. A friend of mine manages a LGS, and they've had to fill in some blanks themselves.

But having played some demo games with them, the game is so fun I give the overall thing a 4 or 5. Looking forward to my starter box etc.

8 hours ago, Ignithas said:

Do you have numbers for this? My experience is that a lot of local metas have been disapearing within the last 1 1/4 years and products are pretty much all the time discounted. We had Store Championships with 4 people and Regionals with 12 (because the store is near Germany). And I heard that this is a wide spread problem.

Last year I went to 4 Store Championships and the average attendance was 13, this year I went to three, but the average attendance was 18. I don't have the exact numbers on Nationals, but on one of the podcasts (I think it was Your Destiny, but I could be wrong there), they had a comparison in people attending between 2017 and 2018 and attendance was up almost everywhere.

A solid 1. I wouldn't have heard about this game if I didn't check this site daily. The only other place I've heard about the game was on YouTube and that was only because I was searching for videos of people playing the game.

FF has never been good about advertising. They seem to let word of mouth do all their work.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the game. Unfortunately I pre-ordered it with other games that won't be releasing any time soon. I'm tempted to order just some Keyforge stuff so I can get it around the release day.