Grutter

Rate FFG Marketing for Keyforge from 1 (Worst) to 5 (Best)

I'd give them a 4.  They've got me super excited.  I got to play a demo game at a gaming convention in Calgary, AB last week where they took photos of my custom tokens (very flattering).  They're regularly putting out fiction fluff pieces for those that are interested.

What are they not doing that is so disappointing you?

I believe that when you create a hype with an announcement, you must handle this fact well. So that this hype will stay the way it is.There is no need to create an additional hype. Some will get it well and some will not. So this type of marketing is a bit risky. For example. Now that we are all expecting patiently ,the game that was announced on August, we must accept a fact that some additional events are coming to create what? a Hype ver.2 ?

Its a bit unfair. That is my opinion. I am not mentioning that, because of hatred or something more complex. I am really interested in this game and the whole universe etc. So I would like the same opportunities as a player and of cource as a customer too. I hope that the game goes well and stay on the top of Card Games for long. I wish the best to everyone.

Just making this thread for people that also belong to the company, to see it and avoid same mistakes later on.

31 minutes ago, tibia said:

0: no marketing at all here in Italy

Asmodee Italia advertise now only (as far as i know) via their official social accounts. (They closed the "Filo diretto" at the "Tana dei Goblin" forums just some week ago)

Keyforge is well publiced on their FB account (I don't have a FB but the posts are readable even without an account) and they officially support a Keyforge Italia FB group. Recently at the Asmodee Showdown, Asmodee Italia give a couple of decks (in english) to several stores. You can try the game if your store attended the Showdown and received the decks.

I must anyway admit that there is lack (a big lack) of information on the home page of Asmodee Italia.

I don't know what Asmodee France or the publishers of other countries advertise it....  I sometimes look at www.trictrac.net (the biggest french site abouit boardgame that I'm aware) and didn't notice some Keyforge advertising/marketing. Maybe I've just missed them.

Sometimes I wander how may opportunity of advertise/marketing we have in Italy. We have only a bymonthly magazine (IoGioco), a site like Tana dei goblin and (a good number of), blogs and you tube channels. We have a news aggregator (giocareinscatola). Check this: https://www.giocareinscatola.it/scheda-gioco/keyforge-call-of-the-archons/3139

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Sportacus said:

Asmodee Italia advertise now only (as far as i know) via their official social accounts. (They closed the "Filo diretto" at the "Tana dei Goblin" forums just some week ago)

Keyforge is well publiced on their FB account (I don't have a FB but the posts are readable even without an account) and they officially support a Keyforge Italia FB group. Recently at the Asmodee Showdown, Asmodee Italia give a couple of decks (in english) to several stores. You can try the game if your store attended the Showdown and received the decks.

I must anyway admit that there is lack (a big lack) of information on the home page of Asmodee Italia.

I don't know what Asmodee France or the publishers of other countries advertise it....  I sometimes look at www.trictrac.net (the biggest french site abouit boardgame that I'm aware) and didn't notice some Keyforge advertising/marketing. Maybe I've just missed them.

Sometimes I wander how may opportunity of advertise/marketing we have in Italy. We have only a bymonthly magazine (IoGioco), a site like Tana dei goblin and (a good number of), blogs and you tube channels. We have a news aggregator (giocareinscatola). Check this: https://www.giocareinscatola.it/scheda-gioco/keyforge-call-of-the-archons/3139

Hi Spartacus! It seems that you are positively biased towards Asmodee, while I am definitely negatively biased towards Asmodee ?

They did a VERY VERY bad job acquiring FFG and, IMHO, they demonstrate this fact at every possible occasion. They are NOT a boardgame company, but just a money machine: the fact that they are in the boardgame business is completely casual. They have just one objective: make money. Through boardgames, cars or whatever is completely irrilevant to them.

FFG was completely different: they wanted to make money (of course, business is business otherwise you don't survive), but this was done giving the players the best possible products and services.

The same can be said about Hasbro and their WotC acquisition.

I don't agree with this "make money only" approach, whatever is what you sell. I know the world is going in this direction, but, as I am old, I don't think that this approach is sustainable in the long run and the result will be that many products/companies will disappear. Let's just hope that I am wrong ?

Edited by tibia

1 hour ago, tibia said:

Hi Spartacus! It seems that you are positively biased towards Asmodee, while I am definitely negatively biased towards Asmodee ?

They did a VERY VERY bad job acquiring FFG and, IMHO, they demonstrate this fact at every possible occasion. They are NOT a boardgame company, but just a money machine: the fact that they are in the boardgame business is completely casual. They have just one objective: make money. Through boardgames, cars or whatever is completely irrilevant to them.

FFG was completely different: they wanted to make money (of course, business is business otherwise you don't survive), but this was done giving the players the best possible products and services.

The same can be said about Hasbro and their WotC acquisition.

I don't agree with this "make money only" approach, whatever is what you sell. I know the world is going in this direction, but, as I am old, I don't think that this approach is sustainable in the long run and the result will be that many products/companies will disappear. Let's just hope that I am wrong ?

Hi Tibia.

(SpOrtacus, with the "O", not the "A)

I considered Asterion Press, before they were2 acquired by Asmodee and became Asmodee Italia, the best italian publisher.

Now they are Asmodee Italia, and I hope they will continue to work like they did in the past, despite of their growing and growing catalog.

We will see, both for ex Asterione and for FFG.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:07 AM, Grutter said:

I believe that when you create a hype with an announcement, you must handle this fact well.

I think you misunderstand one important fact. FFG doesn't sell their games to you and I normally, they sell their games to the 5-6 distributors they have. They also manufacture their products "just in time", so the marketing they do is to ensure that the players goto the stores, who goto the distributors, who make their orders. It is only then that FFG knowing how much they need start to ramp up production. Producing maybe 10-20% extra to have product maybe stay on the shelves. 

Seriously, if you haven't pre-ordered do so. This game is so much fun to play that even with a good 20% extra the decks may not last too long on the shelves. We may even see the game come out in waves over 2-3 months if it goes crazy and they have to push it out to meet the Q4 deadline but can't produce enough for the first wave to satisfy that initial demand.

Unlike other companies that have only a few product lines, FFG makes a lot of new games, think about the amount on innovation in gaming and where it comes from. This innovation comes at the cost of not have the ability to accurately predict what they need, they probably go low, and once confirmed numbers are in they try their best to produce to that in a short a times as possible.

9 hours ago, Amanal said:

I think you misunderstand one important fact. FFG doesn't sell their games to you and I normally, they sell their games to the 5-6 distributors they have. They also manufacture their products "just in time", so the marketing they do is to ensure that the players goto the stores, who goto the distributors, who make their orders. It is only then that FFG knowing how much they need start to ramp up production. Producing maybe 10-20% extra to have product maybe stay on the shelves. 

Seriously, if you haven't pre-ordered do so. This game is so much fun to play that even with a good 20% extra the decks may not last too long on the shelves. We may even see the game come out in waves over 2-3 months if it goes crazy and they have to push it out to meet the Q4 deadline but can't produce enough for the first wave to satisfy that initial demand.

Unlike other companies that have only a few product lines, FFG makes a lot of new games, think about the amount on innovation in gaming and where it comes from. This innovation comes at the cost of not have the ability to accurately predict what they need, they probably go low, and once confirmed numbers are in they try their best to produce to that in a short a times as possible.

I don't disagree to these facts. I preordered the game. maybe I can say, I will invest in this game. With what reward? Well you see, when a small amount of people, earns the ability to see the game, play the game with physical decks, get decks before everyone etc. somehow a company must be able to satisfy others too. When for example a new videogame comes out, lets say fallout. I will not get it directly from Bethesda. But if I preorder this game, I get something as a reward. Cosmetic item, a little pin maybe a book or something. Now what going on with keyforge.
2/8/2018 Announcement happens with a number of 100+ decks to the attenders.
6/9/2018 FFG updates (At the Printer)
25/9/2018 Announcement of some events over EU (Earlier than everyone) 384 decks will appear there.

Streams with deck unboxing are also on the way...

And what about the customers? Are they the (general public) as I saw in an article? Are they secondary to the company? This marketing is tiring. Everyday we will get the chance to see new decks now with the streams and events. But we want to see no more. We want to play. So untill release we have to wait, while some, are opening decks. Is that cool? If you like it, its ok. Why not do a Worldwide release event? Is that bad as a suggestion? It is much better, I believe. And this would bring a lot more smiles.

World wide release, like give us a date and put it in the stores yes and more yes.

I have ZERO interest in the deck openings and live streams, I want a deck and to play my friends in the great game. The genius that thought an exclusive event would be better than an inclusive event is a whole mess of sausages short of a BBQ.

I posted this on January 25 on the Legion Forum:

"6 months ago when announced I was watching videos of people playing the game at GenCon and if they said it was in stores in 4-6 weeks I would have organised 2 copies of everything and been there at midnight the day before the game released to pick it up. Now I did pre-order 2 core sets the same weekend as GenCon, I have also purchase a play mat, built 1.5 tables of terrain (maybe 2), purchased a binder, storage pages and card sleeves. I am ready to go, all I have to do is glue and paint. I have offered to paint my friends models as they are not able to for various reasons. As a result I have decided that I will paint the 4 core sets, then as I finish things add more.

All that is left is the wait, we have no release event or anything to build into, just the bloody wait. But for me the emotion of these cycles just builds up a level of apathy, I can't bloody wait but I just don't care that I have to."

I have a Ultimate Guard Hive, Key Tokens from the UK, 400 clear Dragon Shield Matt Sleeves and some really nice amber tokens. Yet again the body is ready but....

Posted (edited)

But I don't want to be looking at Dis I want to be playing with Dis.

This is the third House to be covered, 4 more to go, then what?

Edited by Amanal

On 9/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, Grutter said:

2 from me. Only the announcement on August 2nd saves the day.

Put me down for a 1, marketing the game by having 2 guys play on a stream is just giving your customers the bird.

"We has our Precious Gullum, and they wants it. Dirty little gamers, they wants it. But no, Smegul won't give it to them. NOT OUR PRECIOUS!!"

6 hours ago, Amanal said:

Put me down for a 1, marketing the game by having 2 guys play on a stream is just giving your customers the bird.

"We has our Precious Gullum, and they wants it. Dirty little gamers, they wants it. But no, Smegul won't give it to them. NOT OUR PRECIOUS!!"

MilkyDevotedAmericancrow-size_restricted

FFG reaction to customers..........

My main concern with FFG is their zero presence here.... I mean, I understand that having to manage so many games and some more than others like X Wing or Game of Throne or I don't know which one transforms this company into a gas factory. But at least it would be nice from time to time to know if they take what it is said here into consideration or not.... And to be honest this community  is a good one, I mean, in any game forum I've been taking part so far I never met anyone mean nor violent in words... So why not entering in contact here and instead rely (but do they ?) on so-called social networks ? I don't have Facebook anymore, don't plan to reopen an account anytime soon for personal reasons so i'm maybe missing a lot of what really happens in term of communication between company and players ? (the above post suggest some answer I guess ?)

15 hours ago, Elrad said:

I'm maybe missing a lot of what really happens in term of communication between company and players ?

The main issue can be that of copyright. A games developer comes to the forum and reads a "wouldn't it be cool if it happens this way" post. Now, month later we see that the game comes out and the suggestion was seemingly taken and used. Now, it could be that the games designer and player had the idea independent to each other but as the forum post pre-dates the game it is impossible to prove. The company now has a potential breach of copyright on it's hands.

Also, you end up with a companies employees posting away, which makes the company open to anything they may say with respect to libel and slander.

Finally you take them away from their work.

With that in mind I am sure that they look in as they can and see if there are problems or issues that they have to look into. Many of teh game sub-forums have a Q&A topic that has been "stickied" to the front page.

They have an official way to contact them and ask questions. They've long had an official policy that they do not interact in the forums, that they are a place for players of their games to interact with each other. There are other places on the website to communicate with the company.

It gets a 2 from me. The gap between reveal and prerelease events (let alone release day) is too big for my taste and there were too few informations to hold my interest.

I think the marketing itself has been fine - not amazing - but FFG never really do anything huge anyhow. 

My main concerns are:

• The gap between announcement and release is simply too big. I know a lot of people locally, including myself, who were totally psyched about this a month or so ago - we wanted to know more, we were listening to podcasts etc. But now that momentum seems to have come to an almost complete stop and there's still probably almost 6 weeks to go! I totally get that development of these things take years and they pretty much have to announce it at GenCon, but they really should be looking to announce at GenCon and have early release copies and then full release a maximum of a month later. 
  • The pre-release events - only 64 places per event!?
  • The complete lack of news about the app. Garfield's comments give the impression that it isn't ready and it won't be released along with the game. Looking at competitors like Warhammer Champions, which has a fully integrated app and you can play your physical collection digitally for FREE - that's a great value proposition, and it was available from release. Not only does it look like the app won't be ready until months after release, but we don't actually have any indication or confirmation that the app will even allow digital play, free or for an additional cost. That would be a huge plus for the game and would help to sell/market/hype it - but the silence suggests its either a way off or not even intended. 

9 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

• The pre-release events - only 64 places per event!?

They shouldn't have happened at all.These events. In my opinion. If they wanted to recreate a hype, the step should be a release, or a global event. For everyone at last to have access to the game.

16 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:
  • The complete lack of news about the app.

At the announcement event they did talk to the app. It should come out when the game does. It would be nice if they would pop it onto the Apple/Google store a week or two before everything comes out. People with decks could at least scan in QCodes and test things. A little bit of beta testing for those free decks or early access to those decks shouldn't be a big ask.

I also hope they do a better job than was done on the X-Wing app, It had a pretty shaky start, with an established game you can maybe get away with a rubbish start, but with a brand new game you will lose a lot of trust of the players. I just played a game of AOS:Champions at lunch time, still not a great fan of the game but being able to play online (for free) and physically seems like a great idea.

I think if they are really setting up the app, it could be used to run and seed a tournament. Dole out chains, pair players and score results. As well as provide a FAQ, rules and such all in one place.

I recon from day 1 all you'll be able to do is: Scan a QCode and it will say: you have played 20 games and won 10, you have a 50% win ratio.