Sign in to follow this  
Ryuneke

Fearless vs. Predator

I started to drop Predator completely from my Fangs. Usually triggered once or twice per game to reroll blank into blank. Definitely not worth the 2 points for me.

I only tested Fearless on Boba, and it was trash.

But on Fangs it would be probably a little bit better than Predator.

But it would probably also trigger once, or max twice per game, so then Crack Shot just might be the best of these three..

Edited by baranidlo

Fearless is IMO the very best talent for fang ( especially fen Rau) is it emphasizes perfectly with Concordia face-off. Triggering 2 effect in one move is very powerful! Predator is way better on ships that already gain something for a bullseye, all kimogilas and soontir. As soontir is ini6 and have both repositions, it is probably the one that will trigger it the most.

This is the theory, but the reality is more tricky. I will continue with the example of kimo and fang.

Fang fighter are great arc dodger, but with Concordia face-off and fearless, this ship is eager to joust. It maynot be the best choice depending on the ship you joust against. And fen Rau could trigger Predator a lot if he want to.

Kimogilas are great jouster, they basically go directly in front of the enemies, it is lot easier to trigger fearless in such a ship.

At the end, it is a matter of choice. How do you like to fly?

1 minute ago, player2422845 said:

Fearless is IMO the very best talent for fang ( especially fen Rau) is it emphasizes perfectly with Concordia face-off. Triggering 2 effect in one move is very powerful! Predator is way better on ships that already gain something for a bullseye, all kimogilas and soontir. As soontir is ini6 and have both repositions, it is probably the one that will trigger it the most.

This is the theory, but the reality is more tricky. I will continue with the example of kimo and fang.

Fang fighter are great arc dodger, but with Concordia face-off and fearless, this ship is eager to joust. It maynot be the best choice depending on the ship you joust against. And fen Rau could trigger Predator a lot if he want to.

Kimogilas are great jouster, they basically go directly in front of the enemies, it is lot easier to trigger fearless in such a ship.

At the end, it is a matter of choice. How do you like to fly?

I’m playing Guri, Fenn and Palob atm. Guri loves predator with AS. Fenn likes predator too. What I don’t like about  fearless on a fang fighter is that I want to dodge arcs....even with Fenn. I know that he gets 4 greens at r1 + Concordia faceoff but  there’s always a chance a crit is going through. In that case I’d rather barrel roll to dodge the arc and avoid damage. So it’s predator for me.

Fearless is way better than predator, it's not even close. 

Predator is a situational and hard to relay upon reroll, fearless is almost a guaranteed hit at r1. 

Seriously, fearless is one of the few good talent we have got so far and the other good ones (mostly juke, lone wolf and elusive) are only usable by few ships

Fearless is money on Ol Terry because of his ability stacked with face-off

Also on anything that likes to be in your face, like Sabine caster with title

Also on anyone running alongside Mux so you get the benefits before your opponent can attack you

Also Xizor 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I played predator on skull squad fangs on last week games. Since it triggered about 0-2 times per game, usually fangs die pretty fast, and even R1 doesn't mean bullseye. While I was playing I counted the times fearless would have triggered and it were about 1 or 2 more times than predator. My experience is that with non-I6 ships it's better fearless if you have points enough, but with I6 you can give a try to predator especially if you need a good bid on your list.

20 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

Imo Predator is absolutely worth 2pt. especially on an ace. Fearless instead is 3 pts. and harder to trigger (in the games I played and watched)

What's your opinion comparing both upgrades? On which platforms/pilots do you use them?

I think it really depends on the plan for the ship. Can't agree on those black and white statements. 

I can see fearless on ships/pilots that capitalize on range one, like Boba or Ketsu, maybe also 4-lom

19 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

I’m playing Guri, Fenn and Palob atm. Guri loves predator with AS. Fenn likes predator too. What I don’t like about  fearless on a fang fighter is that I want to dodge arcs....even with Fenn. I know that he gets 4 greens at r1 + Concordia faceoff but  there’s always a chance a crit is going through. In that case I’d rather barrel roll to dodge the arc and avoid damage. So it’s predator for me.

Like that combo of pilots. Flew guri with Outmanuever today. It didn't trigger a single time... Bloody turrets.

For me predator is fine on Fenn. I don't want him in a forward primary arc at range one. Fly against turrets, it only triggers in 1/4 of their arcs. If anyone want to just with Fenn, your call - I will try to avoid that. For 2 points, predator keeps him slim with the occasional free double mod.

Edited by flooze

I find predator with it being a bulls-eye arc to be just as hard as fearless. The only reason why bulls-eye arcs are easy now is because players have yet learn to fly around them and use offset approaches. That skill will come and you will find fearless to be triggered more often than predator.

My preference for fearlessness kind of depends on three things:

- How many modifiers you have (offensive and defensive)

- How many modifiers the enemy (offensive and defensive)

- And since you are scum, how many modifiers you can deny the ennemy.

So Fenn, he's ok

Fenn supported by Palob, even better

Old Teroch, he's a pretty outstanding candidate too.

On Fenn, I want Predator.  A reroll with a focus to spend is worth 0.75 hits, compared to 1 hit with Fearless.  So you're at 75% of the benefit at 67% of the cost (so another point to the bid).  Meanwhile, it's just a better plan to try to get out of arc, than it is to sit at Range 1 in arc of someone.  Yes, Concordia Face-off mitigates some of the disadvantage of getting shot at in Range 1, but it's still going to be better to be not-shot than to get a free Evade result.

I think there are exceptions.  Old Terroch needs to be in arc for his ability to work, so he'd keep Fearless.  I think Ketsu Onyo probably still likes Fearless, where she can bump into someone, tractor them off, and get a big Fearless shot (hopefully backed up by Maul or such).  Low-Init folks might also like Fearless, since they won't as easily be able to get out of arc.

Predator > Fearless in general, because it's a bad idea to plan to be in someone's firing arc.

17 hours ago, flooze said:

Like that combo of pilots. Flew guri with Outmanuever today. It didn't trigger a single time... Bloody turrets.

I think with Guri and Advanced Sensors (and Afterburners and/or Virago), Outmaneuver is all about being as squirrely as you can.  Abuse the crap out of that reposition before a maneuver, so you can really shift yourself in wacky directions.  That’s what makes the starviper fun.

But even then, turrets will give you a hard time because they’re not going to want to give you those Outmaneuver bonuses...   The key in that case (IMO) is to let Guri do her thing, while the rest of your fleet engages from a different direction.  If your opponent is focusing on keeping Guri from getting her Outmaneuver, then in a roundabout way the talent is paying for itself by being a distraction.  

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

I was using Fearless on a lot of ships for my first few matches of 2.0, then I started to switch over to Predator on the ships that had some repositioning ability.  Fenn, Guri, Boba have all been great with Predator.  It also helps that there are a fair number of medium and large based ships to play against each week.

My theory right now is that Predator is my go to for I5 or I6, Crackshot for I4 and lower.  Trickshot for turrets.  Fearless is relegated to specific pilots for me.