J1mBob

Online Custom Quick Build Card Maker

For the begging I think something really simple like this would work:

1) Create your own collection. At that step app will have predefined FFG quick build cards added to its database.
2) Start new squadron build:
- select one faction or multiple factions at the same time
- select threat level per faction
3) Clicking "random squad" will create such squadron from the cards from point 1).
- logic should check availability of cards during this randomize process, so for example if I own core set and x-wing t-65 expansion only, I have access to only one proton torpedoes upgrade card, in that case app should not pick Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles in one squadron as both quick build cards have proton torpedoes.
- as an option there can be a flag in settings which will disable such check and allows the logic to pick both Luke and Wedge in the same squadron.

I hope such description is enough :) 

9 hours ago, teholbedict said:

For the begging I think something really simple like this would work:

1) Create your own collection. At that step app will have predefined FFG quick build cards added to its database.
2) Start new squadron build:
- select one faction or multiple factions at the same time
- select threat level per faction
3) Clicking "random squad" will create such squadron from the cards from point 1).
- logic should check availability of cards during this randomize process, so for example if I own core set and x-wing t-65 expansion only, I have access to only one proton torpedoes upgrade card, in that case app should not pick Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles in one squadron as both quick build cards have proton torpedoes.
- as an option there can be a flag in settings which will disable such check and allows the logic to pick both Luke and Wedge in the same squadron.

I hope such description is enough :) 

Well the beauty of the Quick Build site is that you don't actually need any of the cards as you just printed out a new one, right?

I had some fun adding formatting options to the Custom Quick Build site over the holidays.  You can either tweak individual cards using the available options or you can set global preferences for all cards using the drop-downs at the top of the page.  Here are some examples showcasing the different styles:

"Dagobah" card style:

Poe.PNG

"Mustafar" card style:

Starkiller.PNG

"Bespin" card style:

Fenn.PNG

The original style that the card builder started with is now called "Coruscant":

Scorch.PNG

If you find a combination of formatting options you like, feel free to send me the settings and I can pretty easily make a "preset" for it.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Quack Shot said:

@J1mBob haven’t had a chance to get that screenshot yet, keep forgetting. Also, Old T’s info is missing looks like

No need for the screenshot... I've been working on making something compatible with card-making sites.

But I can't replicate any issues with Old T. It's probably an upgrade that's erroring and stopping the rest of the card from being properly generated. What upgrades did you have on Teroch?

2 hours ago, J1mBob said:

No need for the screenshot... I've been working on making something compatible with card-making sites.

But I can't replicate any issues with Old T. It's probably an upgrade that's erroring and stopping the rest of the card from being properly generated. What upgrades did you have on Teroch?

Awesome!

He’s naked. Nothing’s coming up on him except the picture. For both the custom site and the builder. 

27 minutes ago, Quack Shot said:

Awesome!

He’s naked. Nothing’s coming up on him except the picture. For both the custom site and the builder. 

Ah I think I fixed that bug earlier today. You’ll need to force a refresh or clear your cache to make it work. Please let me know whether that fixes it. 

On 1/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, J1mBob said:

I had some fun adding formatting options to the Custom Quick Build site over the holidays.  You can either tweak individual cards using the available options or you can set global preferences for all cards using the drop-downs at the top of the page.  Here are some examples showcasing the different styles:

"Dagobah" card style:

Poe.PNG

"Mustafar" card style:

Starkiller.PNG

"Bespin" card style:

Fenn.PNG

The original style that the card builder started with is now called "Coruscant":

Scorch.PNG

If you find a combination of formatting options you like, feel free to send me the settings and I can pretty easily make a "preset" for it.

Enjoy!

Looks great! This project is really looking amazing. Quick build is such a great way to play.

4 hours ago, teholbedict said:

@J1mBob is there any way to get those cards in different language than English?

Good question. Behind the scenes of this tool I use the community-created xwing-data2 project on Github for card text. I’ll ask there whether any regionalization efforts are in work. 

Which language would you personally be looking for?

@J1mBob, couple of questions.

It seems like this does not work with Internet Explorer 10.  Not a huge deal for me as I can also use chrome, but in case this is not a known issue.

Also, the Mustafar and Dagobah layouts seem to create very large PDFs, and then won't print via Adobe.  No issues with the other 3 styles.

Edited by Darth Meanie

When using things like S-Foils/Pivot Wing, it would be great if there was a way to signify the state on the card itself.  A toggle spot or something.

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

@J1mBob, couple of questions.

It seems like this does not work with Internet Explorer 10.  Not a huge deal for me as I can also use chrome, but in case this is not a known issue.

Also, the Mustafar and Dagobah layouts seem to create very large PDFs, and then won't print via Adobe.  No issues with the other 3 styles.

Yes, I've struggled to make it compatible with IE. Some things on infinitearenas.com seem to be ok with IE, other things aren't.  I advise using the most up-to-date browser you can get your hands on.

After doing some research, it looks like the text shadow I use in Mustafar and Dagobah layouts is something Chrome struggles with.  I did some tests using Chrome and found that a single quick build card went from around 160 KB using Coruscant to about 400 KB using Mustafar when using "Print to PDF".  Then Adobe Acrobat could open the document but failed when trying to print it, just like you reported.  But I found a way to make the printing work. After selecting Print in Adobe, click on the Advanced button for printer options and select "Print as Image".  Let me know if this works for you!

3 hours ago, XPav said:

When using things like S-Foils/Pivot Wing, it would be great if there was a way to signify the state on the card itself.  A toggle spot or something.

Are you suggesting maybe the outline of a charge token to the left of the Open/Closed descriptions, so that the user of the card could put a token in the outline to show which state the wings are in?

9 hours ago, J1mBob said:

Are you suggesting maybe the outline of a charge token to the left of the Open/Closed descriptions, so that the user of the card could put a token in the outline to show which state the wings are in?

Yes, something like that, or two boxes where you could move a token back and forth.

For that matter, this sort of outline could apply for anything that needed a token, I have no idea how that'd all fit though.

5 hours ago, XPav said:

Yes, something like that, or two boxes where you could move a token back and forth.

For that matter, this sort of outline could apply for anything that needed a token, I have no idea how that'd all fit though.

I see the desire for this, but I am not sure it will fit or add to the aesthetics. I'd encourage you to get a token that denotes whether the s-foils are closed or open and put it next to the ship. Some acrylic ones are available on Etsy at Buy the Same Token or SurlyGoodDesign.

Firstly, this is amazing work. My group loves the quick builds and this tool is exactly what we've been looking for. Secondly, (and apologies if this has already been answered..,) is anyone able to tell me how I can get a professionally printed deck of cards using the tool. I have found several resources online where i can upload images, but i do not know how to output a high res image, nor am I clear on what size the cards are. I am in the UK (in case there's an imperial/metric confusion). Thanks

On 1/26/2019 at 3:11 AM, Jwardy said:

Firstly, this is amazing work. My group loves the quick builds and this tool is exactly what we've been looking for. Secondly, (and apologies if this has already been answered..,) is anyone able to tell me how I can get a professionally printed deck of cards using the tool. I have found several resources online where i can upload images, but i do not know how to output a high res image, nor am I clear on what size the cards are. I am in the UK (in case there's an imperial/metric confusion). Thanks

Hello Jwardy, welcome to posting in the forum!

You are not the first one to ask about professionally printing these cards!  There are a few barriers to doing so.

First, I am using FFG's card art that they make available via the API of their squad building site.  So needless to say, I do not own the images.  Also, some online printers may flag the images as something you cannot print without express permission from the owner.  I think this limitation might be avoided by making an open access set of cards on one of the various popular sites and each individual requester simply pays for their own deck for their own private use... would that work? Any lawyers on the forum?

Second, these images are approximately 700 pixels by 300 pixels.  I display the images on my website at around 96 dpi, making the cards around 7"x3" when you print them from your browser.  This size isn't a "standard" card size (tarot size is perhaps the closest at 2.75" x 4.75"), so that makes it difficult to get printed professionally. Additionally, the professional printers usually want you to submit images using the industry standard minimum resolution of 300 dpi.

I designed the site with casual print-at-home use in mind, but I understand people's desire to get the cards professionally printed.  If someone has ideas on how to get around these barriers, please chime in or message me!

As an aside, I've dodged both of these limitations with a set of cards I recently had printed up.  First, thanks go to @Autosketch for granting me permission to use his art, and giving me access to high resolution images (MUCH higher res than the FFG art)! Second, if you'd like a copy, please check out my Patreon site!

autosketch_cards.JPG

I may be completely dense, but I can't get the Quick-Build Squad Builder to display anything. It just shows arrows and drop-down menus. Also, has anyone downloaded all of the official quick builds using this tool? I'd love a way to just download everything in this format.

4 hours ago, PorgHerder said:

I may be completely dense, but I can't get the Quick-Build Squad Builder to display anything. It just shows arrows and drop-down menus. Also, has anyone downloaded all of the official quick builds using this tool? I'd love a way to just download everything in this format.

Nope, I'm the one who is completely dense! I fixed my error; it should work as usual now. Sorry about that!

Edit: Also, I'm looking into a way to make it easier to "print the whole deck"...

Edited by J1mBob

21 hours ago, J1mBob said:

Nope, I'm the one who is completely dense! I fixed my error; it should work as usual now. Sorry about that!

Edit: Also, I'm looking into a way to make it easier to "print the whole deck"...

Awesome! Thank you sir. You are really helping out the community and FFG. There are so many people who would enjoy X-Wing but are put off by complicated list building and setup. Letting people draft quick build cards with all the information they need built in allows them to feel a lot of the same agency as with list building minus the barriers of knowing card combos, the meta, etc.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, J1mBob said:

Hello Jwardy, welcome to posting in the forum!

You are not the first one to ask about professionally printing these cards!  There are a few barriers to doing so.

First, I am using FFG's card art that they make available via the API of their squad building site.  So needless to say, I do not own the images.  Also, some online printers may flag the images as something you cannot print without express permission from the owner.  I think this limitation might be avoided by making an open access set of cards on one of the various popular sites and each individual requester simply pays for their own deck for their own private use... would that work? Any lawyers on the forum?

Second, these images are approximately 700 pixels by 300 pixels.  I display the images on my website at around 96 dpi, making the cards around 7"x3" when you print them from your browser.  This size isn't a "standard" card size (tarot size is perhaps the closest at 2.75" x 4.75"), so that makes it difficult to get printed professionally. Additionally, the professional printers usually want you to submit images using the industry standard minimum resolution of 300 dpi.

I designed the site with casual print-at-home use in mind, but I understand people's desire to get the cards professionally printed.  If someone has ideas on how to get around these barriers, please chime in or message me!

As an aside, I've dodged both of these limitations with a set of cards I recently had printed up.  First, thanks go to @Autosketch for granting me permission to use his art, and giving me access to high resolution images (MUCH higher res than the FFG art)! Second, if you'd like a copy, please check out my Patreon site!

If you don't mind sharing, where did you end up getting these printed? I'm having a hard time finding a place that would print 7"x3" cards. Also, you have a new patron! =D

Whenever I try to print or to print to pdf, the Coruscant, Bespin, and Hoth formats don't print or pdf with the colored backgrounds.  Any ideas as to why?   Those are the best formats for me to print in as the writing is the clearest.

UPDATE:  The problem was in Windows Explorer 10.  When I switched to Chrome, the backgrounds worked much better.

Edited by RFC Maqui

On 2/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, RFC Maqui said:

Whenever I try to print or to print to pdf, the Coruscant, Bespin, and Hoth formats don't print or pdf with the colored backgrounds.  Any ideas as to why?   Those are the best formats for me to print in as the writing is the clearest.

UPDATE:  The problem was in Windows Explorer 10.  When I switched to Chrome, the backgrounds worked much better.

I believe the problem you’re describing is related to printing background images. When printing or printing-to-pdf, look through the printing options and turn on “print background images” and let me know if you get better results.