J1mBob

Online Custom Quick Build Card Maker

1 minute ago, J1mBob said:

I used a different way to input the data between the two. Squad Viewer passes the XWS straight into the parser, while this Quick Build tool passes it in indirectly via the URL. The reason I did it that way was to allow a Quick Build card to be shared via the (very long) URL.  But I didn't know it would cause problems with some browsers.  I'll see if there's some way I can use TinyURL or something to fix this...

Maybe just have the program cut out the section that you had me edit out on my end, or would that cause issues?

On 10/1/2018 at 9:26 PM, Hiemfire said:

Maybe just have the program cut out the section that you had me edit out on my end, or would that cause issues?

It could create a security hole if I'm not careful. Using a JavaScript JSON parser on it right away before I touch it in any other manner prevents bad people from injecting code into my site.  I might just set up a parallel site for Edge and similar browser users where I use the same input form as I used in Squad Viewer.

UPDATE 12/15/2018: I've changed the site to not use the URL for transmitting the build data.

Edited by J1mBob

6 minutes ago, J1mBob said:

It could create a security hole if I'm not careful. Using a JavaScript JSON parser on it right away before I touch it in any other manner prevents bad people from injecting code into my site.  I might just set up a parallel site for Edge and similar browser users where I use the same input form as I used in Squad Viewer.

Ouch. Okay.

This is great.  It is exactly what I was looking for to support casual night games.

I was thinking that a 4x6" card with the build would be perfect.  Since the Web App gives access to the hi res graphics, then they could look very nice as well.  I hadn't had time to work up a proof example to test out configurations.  I was thinking the left third for the pilot card data and then the right side for the upgrades.

One thing I would add would be the half-point value of the ship - so that I can just note it down when we get the scores.

3 hours ago, Rijo said:

One thing I would add would be the half-point value of the ship - so that I can just note it down when we get the scores.

Good idea! Thanks! And yes, casual night is the target audience. I’m also working on a way to accommodate the “official” quick builds. So I can see these cards being used for quick build games and for quick build escalation matches. 

Are the outputs tarot card sized? Otherwise I could just laminate them. I plan to use this for threat cards so I can play quickly with my 7 yo. Right now I’m hard coding the point value as the threat level, but it would be nice to have the option of the color bars.

Thanks so much for making this.

1 hour ago, TreebeardTheEnt said:

Are the outputs tarot card sized? Otherwise I could just laminate them. I plan to use this for threat cards so I can play quickly with my 7 yo. Right now I’m hard coding the point value as the threat level, but it would be nice to have the option of the color bars.

Thanks so much for making this.

You're welcome! They're sized to use the full art from the top of the pilot cards, which is approximately 700 pixels by 300 pixels, and will default to printing at 96 dpi.  I usually just print them on card stock, but I can see where laminating would be nice too. Here are my current todo's:

1. Threat level
  2. Half-points
  3. Standard size card option (tarot is 2.75" x 4.75, ratio of 1.72... 700 by 300 is ratio of 2.33, so we would lose some of the image...)
  4. Official quick builds (which often have "illegal" upgrades, not easy to do with standard squad builders)
  5. Make a "fat build" layout that allows more upgrades (looking at you, official Chewbacca quick build!)

7 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Fantastic! Thanks for this!

at least on my  iPhone Chrome, the Opacity button is reversed (I have to check the box to get semi-transparent text boxes)

Yes, the "Make Opaque" button did the opposite because English is hard for engineers.  I relabeled it "Make Semi-Transparent." Thanks for pointing this out!

7 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Which browser? I'm going to guess Safari...

Edit: Now I'm less sure. PC based Chrome and Firefox looks fine. iPhone based Safari and Chrome protrudes above the black field.

Edited by J1mBob

25 minutes ago, J1mBob said:

Which browser? I'm going to guess Safari...

Edit: Now I'm less sure. PC based Chrome and Firefox looks fine. iPhone based Safari and Chrome protrudes above the black field.

The positioning of the fire arc symbol isn't the problem @skotothalamos is pointing out. Proton Rockets are Bullseye arc only, this shows them as front arc. :)

On 10/7/2018 at 10:16 PM, Wedgeismyhero said:

This is great! I hope you figure out a visually pleasing solution to your "fat" card builds. 

Fat build layout now implemented!

Lando.PNG

You can find the fat build compatible card generator here:

http://www.infinitearenas.com/xw2fat/

Update: The "fat" layout is now an option in the standard builder at http://infinitearenas.com/xw2quick.

Also, I'm now linking all my tools from my (currently bare bones) landing page:

http://www.infinitearenas.com/

Edited by J1mBob

On 9/30/2018 at 2:08 PM, saturnflight said:

Any way to get a threat level printed on there?

Now with threat levels! But I've only implemented it on the "fat build fork" of the card generator here:

Update: The threat levels are an option in the standard builder at http://infinitearenas.com/xw2quick. 

On 9/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, TallGiraffe said:

Just don't look at the chewbacca quick build. 

And even with my "fat build" layout, I still can't make the Chewbacca build look good:

Fat_Chewy.PNG

Edit: On pg. 4 of the thread, I provide a decent looking Chewbacca card.

Edited by J1mBob

On 10/2/2018 at 4:16 PM, Rijo said:

Now with half-points:

Wedge.PNG

Hopefully the nomenclature I settled on is clear: If Wedge has lost a total of four hull and shields, then the opponent has earned 36 points.  This is based on my current understanding of the half points rules: if at least half of the hit points are gone, then the opponent receives half the points the ship is worth, rounded down.

Update: The half points are now an option in the standard builder at http://infinitearenas.com/xw2quick. 

Edited by J1mBob

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Wait are these quick build reference cards or is this free-build that also assigns threat (I am assuming based upon points spent)?

The cards this tool generates are based on XWS code you export from third party builders like YASB and LaunchBayNext. For now the design calls for you to manually enter a Threat Level. I also plan to make it possible to pick any of the official quick builds from a list, but there’s more work to be done to get there.

The Chewbacca official quick build I show earlier in this thread was made by using YASB 2.0 and then manually editing the XWS code from YASB to add the “illegal” extra crew and Gunner. 

Hope this better explains it. 

4 hours ago, J1mBob said:

The cards this tool generates are based on XWS code you export from third party builders like YASB and LaunchBayNext. For now the design calls for you to manually enter a Threat Level. I also plan to make it possible to pick any of the official quick builds from a list, but there’s more work to be done to get there.

The Chewbacca official quick build I show earlier in this thread was made by using YASB 2.0 and then manually editing the XWS code from YASB to add the “illegal” extra crew and Gunner. 

Hope this better explains it. 

Okay so it is a freebuild and you just guess the threat from 1 to 6. But you can use it to make the prebuild cards.

As for illegal again the pre-build things means that all upgrades are fixed so nothing is illegal unless it goes beyond threat or unique limits. So you can't hold the prebuild ships to the same standard as free-build. With free-build it is easier to find those power pilot/upgrade combos. Prebuild you have to find combos between whole ships.

Still the card maker will be good in tournaments, I think it is absurd you still have to have the cards as the app was suppose to replace the need for physical cards but oh well.