william1134

The force!!

It honestly depends on the pilot and crew. On Thursday, I won with a shuttle and two Gunboats thanks to Vader on the shuttle  The red dice were awful on both sides and I only managed a win between a solid use of jamming and Vader's force ability chipping away at the other player's TIE swarm

It is nice. Priced correctly I think. If I bring force user, they usually worth the points but you have manage your token good.  For example, if you fly Vader and you don't do focus bonus actions to keep 3 force, but you have to use all token on defence ( like you roll 3 eye). Then, you just have a very expensive guri ( I compare the force that recharge with a free calculate). Managed correctly, he is a monster with 3 dice and full mod on both attack and defence! I don't have fun with the force ability, but I will maybe change my mind.

The force is very very strong, its a free calculate every turn that's immune to all ways to block it.

with 4 of 5 games running tie advanced v1 generic inquisitors I have yet to lose a single one...  (my vote for best ship in the game currently... so **** good)

In fact, its so good I ran Asaj with Maul just to increase my total force buffer and add some minor force regen and never once did I regret the point cost on maul (13pts) for basically just increasing my max force by 1 that extra buffer gave me an extra hit, or defense several times 

Force users are expensive, but they really need to be the force token alone (not counting any abilities that use it to trigger) is just so good, how much would you pay for "at the start of the engagement phase gain 1 calculate token, that token cannot be removed by any game effects besides spending it to alter your dice, you cannot be forced to use spend it" probably a lot. Look how much Guri pays for her ability to get a focus and you have to work for that. (and she is great)

Long story short, the force is very powerful and if it was any cheaper it would be very overpowered (if it's not already).

11 hours ago, Icelom said:

The force is very very strong, its a free calculate every turn that's immune to all ways to block it.

with 4 of 5 games running tie advanced v1 generic inquisitors I have yet to lose a single one...  (my vote for best ship in the game currently... so **** good)

In fact, its so good I ran Asaj with Maul just to increase my total force buffer and add some minor force regen and never once did I regret the point cost on maul (13pts) for basically just increasing my max force by 1 that extra buffer gave me an extra hit, or defense several times 

Force users are expensive, but they really need to be the force token alone (not counting any abilities that use it to trigger) is just so good, how much would you pay for "at the start of the engagement phase gain 1 calculate token, that token cannot be removed by any game effects besides spending it to alter your dice, you cannot be forced to use spend it" probably a lot. Look how much Guri pays for her ability to get a focus and you have to work for that. (and she is great)

Long story short, the force is very powerful and if it was any cheaper it would be very overpowered (if it's not already).

Have you tried 3 concussion missile generics with heightened perception and Jendon? Good stuff.

Vader crew on a juke whisper works wonders and offers flexibility. A palp shuttle is good for flying non-token stackers. Vader pilot offers a lot in terms of power and skill ceiling, but has a scarily low skill ceiling. 

If assembled incorrectly, force is too expensive for what it does (i.e., fifth brother on Ducchess). Some of the pilots are unimpressive for their cost (Assaj). But it definitely is worth experimenting with.

17 minutes ago, Porkchop Express said:

This. It only works once every four dice rolls.

Every time I use Luke he usually dies without getting to use his force tokens.

Same with Vader, i have no problem keeping them ready because i never get to use them

18 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

Same with Vader, i have no problem keeping them ready because i never get to use them

...You have every opportunity to use them for extra actions, though?

Every game I’ve played with force users has had plenty of opportunities to spend force tokens. Absolutely 100% worth the cost. I’m not throwing them in everywhere just yet, as I’m still very interested in flying other ships/pilots/crew, but it is worth it if you want to fly with it.

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Every game I’ve played with force users has had plenty of opportunities to spend force tokens. Absolutely 100% worth the cost. I’m not throwing them in everywhere just yet, as I’m still very interested in flying other ships/pilots/crew, but it is worth it if you want to fly with it.

If vader had more actions to choose from, sadly he only has 3 so once that Lock is on someone most of the time you will focus or barrel roll, the guy really needed boost

I've played a few games with a Palp Lambda and two TIE Defenders.  Every turn he's been on the board, I was able to spend Palpatine's Force token to do something useful.

So clearly, the force is "good."  A significantly harder question: "is the force better than other things you could do with the points."  I don't think there's a real answer to that yet.  2e is too new.  With my limited experience, something like Vader crew on Whisper, or Fifth Brother on Duchess, I think they're close enough to being "worth it" that they don't seem like major mistakes.

I think that's probably fair to say.  Force crew aren't major mistakes, even if whether they're optimal or not has yet to be determined.

5 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

If you don't roll focuses on the dice, Luke's tokens and pilot ability are pretty much useless.

30 minutes ago, Porkchop Express said:

If you don't roll focuses on the dice, Luke's tokens and pilot ability are pretty much useless.

If.

But this is true of like... 90% of the things in the game.  If you don't get the thing required to trigger them, they're useless.  Focus tokens, target locks, anything that deals with crits... even something as absolutely gimme as Norra's ability only works if you didn't already roll enough evades to make it relevant.

Saying thigns only work when they work is close to tautologous, albeit, some things are VERY situational, which does reduce their value.

But 'rolling eyeballs' is really not that situational.

21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If.

But this is true of like... 90% of the things in the game.  If you don't get the thing required to trigger them, they're useless.  Focus tokens, target locks, anything that deals with crits... even something as absolutely gimme as Norra's ability only works if you didn't already roll enough evades to make it relevant.

Saying thigns only work when they work is close to tautologous, albeit, some things are VERY situational, which does reduce their value.

But 'rolling eyeballs' is really not that situational.

Rolling an eyeball is 1 in every 4 dice. He only rolls 2 greens. People say he is hard to kill, but any ship with three dice will sort him out.

51 minutes ago, Porkchop Express said:

Rolling an eyeball is 1 in every 4 dice. He only rolls 2 greens. People say he is hard to kill, but any ship with three dice will sort him out.

No, people say he is harder to kill (than a standard x-wing) and this is true. 

Only having two green dice does indeed mean that he should avoid getting shot at by 3 dice ships whenever possible.

If only he had some sort of upgrade he could use to alter his facing prior to movement. This could allow him to react to enemy positioning and also effectively double reposition.

That sort of upgrade would be amazing and the positional flexibility would improve his survivability in ways that have nothing to do with dice. 

Luke is superior to Vader, his force tokens regen faster and his ship is much better

10 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

If vader had more actions to choose from, sadly he only has 3 so once that Lock is on someone most of the time you will focus or barrel roll, the guy really needed boost