Duciris

4th Cycle - The Circle Undone

19 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Can't it be both?

Hanging is weird.  Hanging a picture on a wall has the past tense of hung.  Hanging a human being has the past tense of hanged.

It is (somehow (Hooray for English (the language))), "He was hanged because he hung a picture incorrectly."

I don't know why, but the form of execution has a different conjugation than any other form of the same verb.  I can usually find a simile to illustrate my points, but I can't think of another verb like this.

In some really interesting twist, Merriam-Webster has something to say on both of our contentious points.  (I was looking for a better explanation.)

Some people bristle when they hear hanged or hung used incorrectly. Their blood boils. Their vision blacks out. Mixing up hung and hanged will make these people thoroughly cheesed off and mad as heck. Irate copy editors are no fun, but you can escape their ire. Read on.

Observing the popular distinction between 'hanged' and 'hung' will not make you a better writer, but it will spare you the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong.

The standard rule for the past tense of hang is this: in almost all situations, you should use the word hung.

I hung a picture of Noah Webster on the wall.
After school, she hung out in the library.

Use hanged when referring to a person being suspended by a rope around the neck until dead.

The Salem "witches" were not burned; they were hanged.
Justice Wargrave ordered Edward Seton to be hanged by the neck until dead.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Hanging is weird.  Hanging a picture on a wall has the past tense of hung.  Hanging a human being has the past tense of hanged.

It is (somehow (Hooray for English (the language))), "He was hanged because he hung a picture incorrectly."

I don't know why, but the form of execution has a different conjugation than any other form of the same verb.  I can usually find a simile to illustrate my points, but I can't think of another verb like this.

I was just going in on the big **** joke. 

1 hour ago, vindoq said:

We still don't know what his deckbuilding option will be? A Chance Encounter would really help, but they could just make him any 3+ event cost from any class.

And just to be sure, he automaticaly lose the end of turn ressource? I'm not that fond of him over Jenny Barnes yet.

Preston's deckbuilding rules are implied in the preview article:

Preston may not have been close to his father, but he would never sully his legacy by ending up on the wrong side of the law. As such, he also cannot have any Illicit cards in his deck. He can, however, include Survivor cards up to level two, granting him VIP access to a plethora of skill cards that he can commit to tests.

So, most likely, Rogue 0-5, Neutral 0-5, Survivor 0-2, no Illicit cards.

As for the end-of-turn resource... well, there is no end-of-turn resource. Assuming you mean the end-of-round resource--that is, the resource you gain in the upkeep phase--that goes into his resource pool as normal. Only resources gained from card effects go onto his inheritance.

And even if he did use a card effect to gain resources during the upkeep phase (eg Madame Labranche), he still wouldn't lose them, because he only loses the inheritance money at the end of his turn. His turn is just his chance to act during the investigation phase: He puts four resources on Family Inheritance, takes up to three actions (plus any he gains from card effects), then clears Family Inheritance. The round is the full cycle of phases, from Mythos to upkeep; his turn is only a small part of that.

1 hour ago, Carthoris said:

I built a William Yorick deck around Red-Gloved Man (2 copies, plus Flares, etc.), and he was able to do some flat-out amazing things.

I was never quite able to get it proc enough to make it worthwhile.  You need to kill an enemy then have good choices for what to do with the 6s.  Setting this up made me have to make tradeoffs between what was the best play and what would get the man out again.

Not saying it can't work, I just had a lot of trouble with it.

wow, thanks for the explanation @rsdockery, didn't see it that way. Payday still wouldn't work and couldn't be include... but has access to take heart, chance encounter, flare and resourceful then. Worth a try.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:53 AM, zooeyglass said:

That was *magnificent*, @Assussanni! Absolutely delightful! 

Well, our episode announcing a new card is up: https://drawntotheflamepodcast.blogspot.com/2019/01/episode-96-visions-of-futures-past-v.html

Which means: 

1**       Carolyn Fern
2**       Joe Diamond
3**       Preston Fairmont
4**       Diana Stanley
5**       Rita Young
6**       Marie Lambeau
7**       Hypnotic Therapy
8**       Rational Thought
9**       Detective's Colt 1911s      
10**     Unsolved Case
11**     Family Inheritance - A Windfall? Or a Burden?
12**     Lodge "Debts"
13**     Twilight Blade
14**     Dark Insight
15**     Terrible Secret
16**     “I’m done runnin’!”
17**     Hoods
18**     Mystifying Song
19**     Baron Samedi
20          g1
21          g2
22          g3 [Delay the Inevitable? - if there are 2 assets, 1 event, 1 xp card]
23**     Ace of Swords
24**     Fingerprint Kit
25          seek2
26          seek3
27**     Death • XIII
28          r1
29**     Money Talks
30          r3
31**     The Moon • XVIII
32          m1 [Deny Existence? Spanish leak?]
33**     Eldritch Inspiration
34**     Prophesy
35          m4 [Four of Cups - All the Tarot cards are Evenly Spaced]
36**     Track Shoes
37**     Act of Desperation
38**     Able Bodied
39**     Five of Pentacles
40**     Ace of Rods
41         neutral/weakness x2
42**     The Tower • XVI
43         1/7
44         2/7
45         3/7
46**    Gavriella Mizrah 4/7
47**    Jeroma Davids 5/7
48        Valentino Rivas 6/7?
49        Penny White 7/7?

If cards 7 to 19 are x1 (13 cards), and 20 to 42 are x2 (23x2=46) = 59 player cards [confirmed by Spanish site]
** = confirmed

And here's the card:

kxpddcu.png

So let’s say I’m activating the fight ability on shrivelling and draw a skull and then I play this card. The effect of the skull is cancelled, but does the shrivelling still hit? Assuming that the numbers add up after the modify 

13 minutes ago, Burgie1996 said:

So let’s say I’m activating the fight ability on shrivelling and draw a skull and then I play this card. The effect of the skull is cancelled, but does the shrivelling still hit? Assuming that the numbers add up after the modify 

The modifier on skull still applies so this card has no bearing on whether you hit or miss.

5 minutes ago, tsuruki said:

The modifier on skull still applies so this card has no bearing on whether you hit or miss.

The card says to cancel or resolve an effect on a mystic card an additional time that would trigger by a token of one of those types (the actual effect of the token does not resolve twice if that's what you are wondering). But it DOES resolve once due to the pull.

Unfortunately, you can't just make the trigger on the mystic card resolve without pulling the token first, although that would be a fun upgrade!

Edited by Soakman

4 hours ago, Soakman said:

I'm looking forward to using it with Song of the Dead. ☠️

Ignore me, I see the double now :)

Could be really nice with Hypnotic Gaze too, especially against things with a ton of damage (like a particular beastie from Guardians of the Abyss).  Too combo-tastic to rely on, but I think Eldritch is a useful enough card on its own.

Edited by Buhallin

Yeah, in our episode first we looked at the cancel options (Rite of Seeking seems decent, and Diana likes this card) and then we looked at the additional time options (there aren't many, but Gaze and Song of the Dead are probably the strongest?). 

4 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

La carte 21 est la carte du gardien «Retarder l'inévitable»

ohoh, ArkhamChronicle give us the number of a card anybody looked at in detail ... I can say someone receive his Circle Undone with a little advance, and is working on something like a youtube video ... am I wrong ?? don't hesitate to say about the rest of the cards XD ( but I know that if FFG bring the box to you, you would not reveal a lot about, for keep their trust ) . 

ArkhamChronicleLa carte 21 est la carte du gardien «Retarder l'inévitable»

Sacré bleu! Who knew that we spoke such amazing French. Magnifique! :)

Merci phorcys12

Early product? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. We wish.

But many content creators got spoiler cards as I am sure you have seen. We just got ours last. Typical eh! It might be worth checking out our Twitter though. Just sayin’ ;)

Oh and card number 25** is the Seeker card “Connect the Dots”. Nice!

Wouldn't that Eldritch Inspiration make Recharge loose all risk? Then again as the card is written, you wouldn't get the charges if a symbol was revealed, right? Or is it written in a way that tells you to add charges if you do not discard the asset?

1 hour ago, Rutan said:

Wouldn't that Eldritch Inspiration make Recharge loose all risk? Then again as the card is written, you wouldn't get the charges if a symbol was revealed, right? Or is it written in a way that tells you to add charges if you do not discard the asset?

It would ignore the discard effect, but it's still considered revealed so you wouldn't get the charges.

15 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

Early product? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. We wish.

@ArkhamChronicle is that true though? You've said before you *do* get early product, so that you can do your videos. Makes no sense to taunt us with it. This thread was all about hypothesising which cards we'd get, with the evidence we had...

4 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

s that true though? You've said before you *do* get early product, so that you can do your videos. Makes no sense to taunt us with it. This thread was all about hypothesising which cards we'd get, with the evidence we had...

Well we aren’t sure if we should let you peek behind the curtain…

Everything is on a product by product basis and we don’t know until it actually turns up. Or doesn’t.

Something can arrive at 6pm the day before release. Which, if your daylight stops at 3pm, is terrible.

Sometimes we are told on release day or the day before we aren’t getting a copy and it is a race against time to find a retailer who still has it in stock. We have made a couple of six hour round trips to London to pick up stuff like that.

We always put in the credits if we got a review copy or not.

We have no Circle Undone and genuinely no idea if we will see one before release day.

Which is terrible as there is so much to talk about! New Slot, New Card Type, SIX investigators, Prelude investigators, Hunch decks, Twilight Lodge, Shadow locations, and insight traits up the whazoo!

But we do have a couple of digital images of cards which were sent to us for an #AllYellowAllTheTime video. These arrived on Friday. Way after Mythos Busters and Drawn to the Flame got theirs. We are Arkham’s Red-Headed Step-Child ;)

Let us know if you want us to fill in one more blank on the list won’t you.

The Arkham Chronicle Gang

And there we go.

All the Investigators have now been spoiled on Reddit (probably by someone who purchased a copy from a shop) before we could release our spoilers and before a review copy came anywhere near us.

It’s a funny old game.

:)