Duciris

4th Cycle - The Circle Undone

The 4th pack of The Forgotten Age is out, the fifth is listed as shipping, so where's our 4th cycle announcement?

I want speculation!  I want the list of our most desired characters!  I want to know where you want to go - who, neigh, what you want to fight!

Speculate until we know more!!!

EDIT:

We know more: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/12/the-circle-undone/

Edited by Duciris
New article

In Dunwich, we got Fine Clothes late in the cycle, and it fit thematically with Carcosa.  In Carcosa, it was Time Warp, which fit The Forgotten Age.  The card that the Drawn to the Flame podcast revealed this week isn't necessarily the hint card this time around, but when I saw it I thought hunting => woods => Shub-Niggurath.

Edited by CSerpent

I think we will see a guardian specific card rule.  Here me out.  Since Dunwich Legacy, seekers have had a discovery card.  A low cost card that could be upgraded to something powerful if certain conditions were met, usually performing the lower card's ability, and upgrading said card from the player's deck.  Since the the very start, rogues have exceptionals.  These are hella powerful cards.  So powerful that they cost twice the printed XP cost to add to the player's deck, and are restricted to one copy per deck.  Mystics now have the ability to seal tokens.  These cards allow you to remove a token from the mythos bag, and place it on the asset that sealed the token.  Survivors have exile cards.  Again extremely powerful, but are one and done.  You need to rebuy the card to put it back in your deck.

in my mind, we've got some cards this cycle who are teasing cthulhu : chtonian idol, and mist of R'lhey. So always thinking we will have a cycle cthulhu, innsmouth, dagon, r'lhyeh. I can see a start on the docks of riverside, fighting against a strange traffic made by strange fish-men. Then after some fighting, you go the hospital for see the estate of someone who has been hurted during the fight. So in this place, you start to see things stranger than before, like if you have some mind ill. 

Shub-Niggurath is linked to the wood, so after a forest-linked cycle, I don't think he would be the one now. For me, the next is urban more than adventure-like. So bye bye to the dreamlands and mountains of madness. We only could have Cthulhu or another old one less popular, like glaaki, the lake-lurker, ou cthugga, the fire one. 

For the cycle to come, I want some underwater scenarios, who let us fight pirahnas, shark and strange things. That would really be fun ^^ I let you see my thinkings about where we will go this time. 

After all this, you decide to head toward Innsmouth, by ship. But on the way you look at some of the sailors who seem a little bit fishy, and a strange monolythe brook up the sea and let you fight Hydra. then you are to Innsouth, investigate against a cult, take your night to the hotel where your madness start to run far away than before, because you are in some sort of dreams, where you are at the hotel but in the deepth city of the deep one, Y'ha-Nthlei. After what you decide to fly over, but the cult has kidnapping you and bring you the devil reef, where you meet dagon. You must run away from him, by waters until you are helped by a ship, then you tak you way to the pacific, encouters a sorcerer on  some sort of hawai-island, fighting the cult who try to make the r'lhyeh merge from the sea. after what you start to see this **** merge and fight cthulhu. 

an another speculation which can be made is : where to you think we could go in the cycle you think will come next ?? What will be the place of every eight scenarios , or the mechanics who can be good in it ???

I guess we'll see a Cthulhu cycle too, yeah. I mean, eventually, they will almost have to make one. Projected story path, if they go along the lines of the book: Arkham, Innsmouth, Devil's Reef (mid-cycle climax), Australia, Pacific, R'lyeh. 

If they go there, it will probably mechanically be very... classical? Like Dunwich in a way, with a lot of monster hunting, some minibosses, scenarios about rowing a boat through a storm (a bit like Carnevale). If they throw in a bit of a wrench, there, they'll go with Cthulhu's dream theme, and give us one scenario at least that takes on more of a nightmare aspect, where the investigators maybe try to stay sane through the kind of dreams the artists in Call of Cthulhu describe, where they are trapped at the bottom of the ocean, trying to hide from huge hulking figures that stalk by. 

Investigators: definitely Silas Marsh.

But to me, that would be the boring option, in a way. Carcosa still far and away beats the other two cycles, mainly because the story works so well. Dunwich is fun, but the story totally falls apart if you look at it and is quite incoherent. So, I'd like something with more story. More story cards, more interrogations of VIPs, more social scenarios. There's been a few good suggestions on Board game geek: Investigating or infiltrating a cult, maybe the Silver Twilight (Diana Stanley!), or something involving Kingsport, the Dreamlands and Nyarlathotep. 

I'd love a campaign that's a little like Masks of Nyarlathotep - seemingly unconnected cult activities all adding up to a grand conspiracy. You could even have it where (and this would be so hard to implement) you can play the first four or five (!!) scenarios in any order, making sense of these seemingly disconnected shreds of information and trying to foil different small time cults. The different encounter sets from the deluxe might have 4 or so different mini cults (The Red Hand, the Order of the Skull, etc etc made-up names poorly here) and each early scenario sees different cults interacting in different ways - or cult sets chosen at random so you don't know what kind of cult activity you're up against. 

Alternatively, I'd actually love a cycle that's two 4-scenario campaigns. The deluxe would be the starting point of both, and mythos 1-3 would flesh out one and 4-6 the other. I think I'd like that just to see more range of enemies and styles, and to allow campaigns to hit different story points at different speeds, as opposed to the 'first two scenarios are ok-ish, third is a bit easier, then fourth is rough - Oath, Boundary, Essex - then building to a finale. But who knows if that's on the cards?! 

Speaking of, what could be interesting for a Masks campaign is if you had four minicults as scenarious 3-7 and you could do them in any order, but the longer you waited, the stronger each cult got (say, one cult has a boss monster that gets a new ability for each other scenario that you completed before fighting it, or you need more clues the longer the cult had to hide, or similar.) 

Not very compatible with the current release model, though.

I love how far from the beaten path The Forgotten Age is.  With AH & EH they always seemed to go through the Dunwich -> Kingsport -> Innsmouth connect-the-dots model, stopping off at Carcosa, Black Goat & the Pharaohs.

I'd really like more proper Egypt (by which I mean more than just an exhibit in the Miskatonic Museum (AH2)), but I think with the 2-part Guardians of the Abyss we're not likely to get more into that.

I'd really like to go to the Far East in a campaign.  There are so many different monsters and gods between China, Korea, & Japan that could be pulled from.  In the 20s, Japan has claimed all of German controlled territory in Asia, but won't invade Manchuria until 1931.  The Opium Wars ended long ago in 1860, followed by the failed Boxer Rebellion of 1899-1901.

Both China and Japan are mechanizing and industrializing, but they still have pockets of feudal-esk civilizations in the mountains.  I know very little about Korea during this period.

I think there is great potential for dark workings in this setting.  Elsewhere, there has been an interest in a male Asian investigator, and I am hard pressed to think of where one might more radially appear.  Have him receive word of some strange happenings from a family friend, only to return to his homeland finding the village a veritable ghost town.

I'd also love to see an investigation into the American west.  The wild west is mostly tamed, but if you start in the Black Hills or Oklahoma and move west or north, you should be able to find "untamed" lands and peoples with a little stumbling around.

It will take more research and more careful stepping to create than an Incan narrative, but I believe it would be so much cooler to explore a darkness spreading throughout the Great Plains and Eastern Rockies as settlers expand westward and bring with them the Dust Bowl (1930-1936).

Now, I'd like the fail condition to destroy the world and the positive be only the Dust Bowl, or something in that vein.  Maybe even cause the Dust Bowl earlier if we fail.

Quick rundown.  The Dust Bowl was caused by a draught and bad farming practices in an effort to meet the international demands for wheat in the post-WWI era.  The US went on a tear after the Great War to produce as many of the materials and food-stuffs as they could to rebuild a war-torn Europe, creating the Roaring Twenties.  As Europe returned to self-sufficiency, America did not slow down production.  The Great Depression followed.

I think it would be really neat to interact with native peoples and their mythology.  I'd also love for the cause of the Dust Bowl to be, say, the White Buffalo Calf Woman as punishment for the mistreatment of the land.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Je pense qu'il serait très intéressant d'interagir avec les peuples autochtones et leur mythologie. 

Ah, we have a mythology lover here ^^ I realy love such things, but I think the best way to explore it is to work on a all new lcg with a mythology thematic ( FFG love licences, so Perçy Jackson series adapted ?? Not the best way to use myths but this is more possible than my idea ) Because here we have the lovecraft myth to play with, it cross sometimes the real mythology ( yig = quetzacoatl, Hypnos of Dreamlands, ... ) but is on his own way.

I was realy crazy about Aztec feeling, and was sad about the lack of use of this world for the cycle from now. A greek feeling would come with a Cthugga thematic ( because, you know, prometheus, and the persian god mythra ... ) but don't expect too much ^^

6 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

En parlant de, ce qui pourrait être intéressant pour une campagne de masques est que si vous aviez quatre mini-séries comme scénaristique 3-7 et que vous pouviez les faire dans n'importe quel ordre, plus longtemps vous attendriez, plus chaque culte aurait un patron. un monstre qui acquiert une nouvelle capacité pour chaque scénario que vous avez terminé avant de le combattre, ou vous avez besoin de plus d'indices, plus le culte doit rester caché, ou similaire.)  Pas très compatible avec le modèle de version actuel, cependant.

One thing I really dream about is somesort of Saga expension ( ref to lord of the rings lcg ) for the masks. One box with three scenarios and less player card for explore one mask or avatar of the crawling chaos, Nyarlathothep. By this way, we wouldn't be blocked to the choices of three of four masks. If have a lot, especialy in chaosium roleplay. Another thing is if we do a scenario by mask in a classical campaign, so the bloated weman let you see china, but what place have you for explore her and his cult ?? If you have three scenarios, or two, you can explore a chinese town against cult, take you way in the bamboo wilderness of asia in search of the hidden temple of the bloated woman. So you explore more of the asia, and have enough monsters and specific cultist of this one mask.

And you can see more than four or six masks. You can do this with eight, ten or more masks if you want. And by this way, you would gain some weakness and rewards, without specific order ot play them, for making the full nyarlathotep mask's hunt campaign. 

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

J'aimerais vraiment aller en Extrême-Orient dans une campagne. Il y a tellement de monstres et de dieux différents entre la Chine, la Corée et le Japon qui pourraient être retirés. La Chine et le Japon se mécanisent et s'industrialisent, mais ils ont encore des poches de civilisations de type féodal dans les montagnes. Je connais très peu la Corée durant cette période.

Je pense qu'il y a un grand potentiel pour un fonctionnement sombre dans ce contexte. Ailleurs, un enquêteur asiatique masculin s’est intéressé à la question et j’ai du mal à penser à l’endroit le plus radical. Demandez-lui de recevoir des nouvelles étranges d'un ami de la famille, puis de retourner dans son pays natal pour trouver le village comme une véritable ville fantôme.

I want to see asian-linked cycle, like ouest america, or affrican, or australian or ... russian ?? why not. But, at this time they haven't work on a cycle without an old-one truly linked to it. So we can thing about england with Glaaki, greece with cthugga. Ok in Eldritch we have an expension with Shuddle Mel who had a card with japan inondation, but far to have a real kink with it, just a catastrophlike thing.  This is the other reason why I want deluxe expension with two or three scenario in it, because the masks of Nyarlathothep are link we some place in the world we nould never see in another way: Affrica with the Black Wind, Blood tongue, the beast. Asia with Bloated Woman, Australia with Sand Bat. And if we go the less known avatars, we have some who hare in mayan world, egypts, dreamlands, haiti, american-west, Los Angeles ... So this is the best potential to explore the world out of the classical continental barrier for me ^^

Edited by phorcys12

So speculation:

For themes I am good with almost everything.  Shubbie, Special-K, Dreamlands, Ithaqua.  While hard and usually not done, I would love to see one focused around the Blind Idiot God (BIG) as well.  I will say for a game called Arkham Horror I feel we spend an awful lot of time leaving Arkham.  But globe trotting is cool, so why not?  I feel we are up for a less "into the wilds" story this time.  If I had to pick, I would pick Dreamlands, even though they are normally my least favorite.

As far as investigators go, I would like to see any of them, including new ones.

In prior games, there were a block of investigators that seemed to tread over the same ground.  I am looking at these guys: Joe Diamond, Mark Harrigan, Michael McGlen, Roland Banks, Skids O'Toole, Tommy Muldoon and Tony Morgan.  They are all guys with guns and trench coats that have a law enforcement/crime background that kill monsters.  In prior games, I always thought they played extremely similar with minor differences.  Based on the differences between Mark, Skids and Roland, I think this is the first game in which we can see a major difference between them and I would like to see that more.

Finally, we need to eventually see Silas, Marie, Norman and Carolyn sometime, wouldn't mind seeing some of them in the next expansion.

As far as Art goes.  Intrepid and Hatchet Man could be Roland or Tony (I think Tony).  Premonition and Recall the Future has Jacqueline.  Well Prepared has Prescott (that could be him on High Roller as well). True Understanding has Darrell.

21 minutes ago, Jobu said:

In prior games, there were a block of investigators that seemed to tread over the same ground.  I am looking at these guys: Joe Diamond, Mark Harrigan, Michael McGlen, Roland Banks, Skids O'Toole, Tommy Muldoon and Tony Morgan.  They are all guys with guns and trench coats that have a law enforcement/crime background that kill monsters.  In prior games, I always thought they played extremely similar with minor differences.  Based on the differences between Mark, Skids and Roland, I think this is the first game in which we can see a major difference between them and I would like to see that more.

Preach it!  I'd include Finn and Darrel in that bunch, too.  Then you've got Harvey Walters and Norman Withers (even the names!), and Amanda Sharpe and Mandy Thompson (the names again!).

38 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

Preach it!  I'd include Finn and Darrel in that bunch, too.  Then you've got Harvey Walters and Norman Withers (even the names!), and Amanda Sharpe and Mandy Thompson (the names again!).

Darrel always struck me as more of an investigator than a monster slayer.  Finn was kind of an odd duck as he was always a little better at evading than fighting (although it was clear he was meant to deal with monsters).  For me its about the background/how they dress combined with what they do that makes an investigator distinct.

Hank Sampson is also a monster killer, but he is distinct from the above characters in his profession and style.

In Arkham Horror, Ursula and Darrel were both focused on"real world" investigation (as opposed to other worlds), but they were distinct enough through their backgrounds that I viewed them as different characters.

16 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Give me Patrice! I want my song-based magic! We've got Jim, partially Marie, now I want Patrice. If they can give me Patrice, I will let them pick the theme of the cycle.

Get me Diana Stanley and I'm in!

(And also Daisy Walker in MoM2.)

2 hours ago, Soakman said:

Give me Patrice! I want my song-based magic! We've got Jim, partially Marie, now I want Patrice. If they can give me Patrice, I will let them pick the theme of the cycle.

And entirely music based campaign!  They even release a soundtrack for it!  The guardian is a bouncer, the seeker is a music professor, the mystic is a musician, the rogue is a bartender, and the survivor is a groupie!

17 hours ago, Jobu said:

So speculation:

For themes I am good with almost everything.  Shubbie, Special-K, Dreamlands, Ithaqua.  While hard and usually not done, I would love to see one focused around the Blind Idiot God (BIG) as well.  I will say for a game called Arkham Horror I feel we spend an awful lot of time leaving Arkham.  But globe trotting is cool, so why not?  I feel we are up for a less "into the wilds" story this time.  If I had to pick, I would pick Dreamlands, even though they are normally my least favorite.

Azathoth could be done. I mean, they managed Yog-Sothoth and better than most other games before, I'd say. Not all of the Dunwich campaign was good, mind you, and the story was pretty messy. But they managed to have a boss fight with Yog-Sothoth where you don't end up just shooting him in the face with a shotgun repeatedly until he goes away, which to me was always a bit of a thematic weakpoint of the Arkham Horror board game. 

So, Azathoth. Probably should never appear "on stage", as it were. But steal a few ideas from Eldritch Horror. Azathoth and especially the Syzygy, which was another form of Azathoth, were very thematic, there. The Syzygy, especially, was perhaps the best GOO that game had, theme-wise: the stars will soon be right, the planets will align, and the gaze of Azathoth will fall on Earth, annihilating it. The players are running around the globe activating ancient defences to ward of Azathoth's eye. No attempt to defeat Azathoth or anything like that. Just travelling to China, Easter Island, Stonehenge, Egypt, finding pieces of Earth's ancient protection spells from earlier ages of humanity. Thematically a bit close to Forgotten Age, but probably the way to go, as far as Azathoth is concerned. 

The ancient human civilizations that sort of hang out in the margins of the mythos, mostly developed by other authors, are a very interesting part of the entire world, to me. Atlantis, Mu, Hyperborea, the Hyborean age of Conan, the worshippers of the sleeper of N'kai, all those civilizations that had openly practised magic and knew far more about the old ones than today's people. (Agnes Baker is already out, but this would be her cycle.)

Edited by Eldan985

Yeah, I find it odd that the Forgotten Age cycle is almost complete and we have not heard a peep about what is coming next (apart from double dips and one-offs). Up until now, FFG was keeping the schedule loaded so that there was at least one new mythos pack dropping every few weeks. Either they are slowing down the releases or are waiting for Arkham Nights to make a big announcement about what is coming next.