Sign in to follow this  
Finch204

What did you do with Lotr LCG today?

43 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

About to start "Into Fangorn" from Voice of Isengard. I was liking a deck using Erkenbrand, Haldir, and Idraen but retired it after multiple failures "To Catch an Orc". Now I'm running tactics Imrahil, Damrod, and Thalin.

It looks like that first deck (both actually) would improve with more willpower. Just a tip.

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard

Played Flight from Moria for the first time with a fairly standard Puprle Dain/Dwalin/Bifur deck. That was a really fun one to play unspoilt :) Dwalin died in the last round but we managed to escape nonetheless!

I have received the package with some few items I still missed for my complete collection (the two first adventure packs of the Ered Mithrin cycle, almost all the Print on Demand quests and Sands of Harad). So today is sleeving time :D

Now I am just missing The Mountain of Fire (but I may have found a way to get a copy), Assault on Dol Guldur, The Wizard's Quest, when they will print it. And possibly the second and third copy of the Core set ?

Finished my progression-style run against The Treachery of Rhudaur today. As an additional handicap, I haven't been using any LotR Saga cards as part of my progression plays (I have all the saga boxes, but they're still in shrink-wrap and will remain so until I decide to play through the entire saga ? ). 

Ended up playing 22 games, 10 solo (Aragorn L/ Elrond/Glorfindel S), and 12 two-handed (Elrond/Mirlonde/Rossiel; Glorfindel S/Galadriel/Idraen). Won 33% of my straight solo games, 25% of my 2-handed games. 

Guess my decks weren't the most reliable (e.g., Galadriel struggling to find Nenya in several games, and Imladris Stargazers that just wouldn't turn up), but when the engines worked as intended, they were solid.  

I'm both apprehensive and excited to go against The Battle of Carn Dum next, given the reputation that AP has. 

Edited by TwiceBornh

On 11/2/2018 at 8:18 PM, Gandalf_ said:

I opened the new article on the front page with excitement only to realise it is about the digital game. Why dont they change the tag?

In my experience, when the picture depicts Gandalf holding Glamdring or riding on Shadowfax, it is always about the digital game. If it is a totally new one you have not seen before, it is most likely not about the digital game.

Played against a warg/troll custom encounter deck using the cards from Wizard's Quest and Woodland Realm. I only played it once, but those wargs were relentless! A lot of the them have effects that key off having a shadow card with no shadow effect, so many kept bouncing back to the staging area or making additional attacks. Very annoying. In fact 11 of the 35 cards have no shadow effects. The subtle design from Caleb to have it be so synergistic using quick build mode is quite impressive. (I quick build using these seven encounter set: 6, 11, 12, 16, 22, 23, 28).

Going to try out the other encounter decks later this week, one with spiders, another with orcs, and the last one being an evil deck of doomed and surging nonsense and a Nazgul. All 4 of these are built at once (no shared cards), so that's awesome. :D

Edited by soullos

Haven't been able to play for awhile due to busy nights, but am looking to play a game tonight. Last night I readied my deck and encounter deck with the intent of playing tonight. After winning my first try at the 2nd Khazad-dum quest, I have lost 4-5 in a row I think. Either way, I will play it once more and move on to the 3rd quest regardless if I win or lose.

I have found that restricting myself to thematic decks is making it hard for me to win in Moria. (I also don't have the patience to mulligan for the perfect opening hand before I start playing. I just want to start playing, if you know what I mean.) The good thing here is that the restrictions are ones I came up with and not one the game forces on you. So there is nothing stopping me from entering Moria with Spirit Glorfindel riding on Asfaloth, or putting on Steward of Gondor on everyone else who does not have a Gondor trait, or including Forest Snare in my deck (because there is no forest inside Moria), if I really want to. I might just try that on my next playthrough, just for fun. 

Edited by Finch204
typo

Finally got around to playing a Dale deck against Roam across Rhovanion. It's been a while as The Withered Heath was super-tough for some reason. In contrast, this one went down in the first try. A nice respite after slogging through The Withered Heath over the past couple of weeks.

Got repeatedly spanked playing The Battle of Carn Dum, 2-handed, progression-style, standard difficulty. Tried a bunch of different decks, but it took no time to figure out their weaknesses the hard way. ?

Yes, I know I could look up successful deck combos, and no, I don't want any advice... I like figuring these things out myself.

May have to set the quest aside for a few days, though, as it's seriously been distracting me from my work... it's all I can think about!

Edited by TwiceBornh

1 hour ago, Rouxxor said:

We can't see your deck because of your setting on ringsdb. You have to allowed people to see your unpublished decks if you want us to see what you talk about ;).

My bad. Copied the wrong link. Replaced it above. Take a look :)

Beat Celebrimbor's Secret. It was a tough one with all the surge I was hitting but got it done! Then I sleeved up The Antlered Crown and retooled my deck in prep for the last quest. Made me wish we had gotten a Dunlending/Wildman hero. There's gotta be some rebels in their midst that rejected the evil ways of the Enemy. 

Just completed a 78-game, Battle of Carn Dum marathon (standard difficulty, progression-style, respecting latest errata for Love of Tales) that began on November 6. Six games were two-handed, lost them all. The remaining 72 games were straight solo, and I only won twice (maybe three times, but had a feeling I made errors in one game... so two it is). And I'll admit it, in three games, I gave myself my "perfect" 11-card starting hand (was mostly playing a Bilbo/Erestor/Mirlonde variant of Seastan's song deck), which resulted in one win , one loss, and one game aborted due to errors. The one win in that context felt dirty, but at least it reconfirmed that victory was possible... if the cards aligned.

So in the end, only 1 victory when playing 100% by the rules. That's way worse than my straight solo 50-card Core set win ratio vs. Escape From Dol Guldur!  The vast majority of games were lost within the first five rounds. 

What a soul-crushing quest. Glad I won (and the victory was epic and hard fought), but I don't know if I have the energy to go through this again to achieve a 2-handed progressive-style victory in standard mode.

Edited by TwiceBornh

Finally got to playing again last night. One last try at the 2nd Khazad-dum quest and the Dwarves were successful yay! My record is now 2 wins and 4 losses for this quest. The addition of Ancestral Knowledge helped a lot with locations that used to slow me down in previous games. Getting Erebor Record Keeper and Blade of Gondolin out on the first round certainly helped as well. The Dwarves faced off a Cave Troll on the first stage of the quest, which nearly killed Dain, but thankfully Gandalf showed up just in time to help them slay it.

After last night's play, seeing how Ancestral Knowledge helped me win and from reading the posts from people on here, I am now going to change how I'm building my decks. Everyone else might be doing this already, but for some reason I never thought of doing it this way. I've always built decks by adding cards that I like or cards that fit a theme I like, regardless of what pack/expansion/cycle they come from. So now, I'm going to try building decks by first looking at cards that belong to the pack/expansion/cycle whose quest I am going to be playing. So like for the Khazad-dum quests, I rebuilt my deck by first looking at Khazad-dum cards, which also meant that they almost always fit the theme of the quest, selecting those that I like to play. Then I looked at cards from the Core se and picked those that I liked. Then only then did I look at cards belonging to other unrelated packs/expansions/cycle. I feel like this results in a deck that is more suited to playing the quest at hand, which I guess is why people like playing progression style.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the last Khazad-dum quest soon.

Finally played A Storm on Cobas Haven and City of Corsairs. The final boss fight against Sahir was epic and satisfying, kept on the razor's edge till the last turn. I have to say it's the boss fight I have enjoyed the most so far, together with the one against Durin's Bane in Shadow and Flame (I still have to play the Print on Demand quests though).

1st post from a LOTR LCG noob...

Session reports:

11/23 - Played with 2 very experienced players last Friday night.  Had 2 quaint core set decks with a couple mirk cycle cards.  Couldn't draw steward with my lead/lore deck, couldn't get citadel plate with my spirit/tactics deck.  Was enlightening watching my two companions put out 97 cards on turn 1 planning phase while I gave the ole blackjack 'im sticking.'  They won the encounter despite me much like my wife drove her new car home to ask me what the smell was… and then I discovered the E brake on…  massing at osgiliath was even worse.  I was as useless as mammaries on a beorning.  Went home and kicked a puppy.  Still lots of fun!

11/25 – afternoon.  Let my 8yr old little shaver have a go at conflict at the carrock.  Played 3 games.  Lost em all.  One he lost questing too fast.  One he lost questing too slow.  The last he threated out.  He had dispatched one troll and Gandalf was coming in to help finish off another.  Then he drew the brown lands in the questing phase and he couldn't get rid of the carrock active location.  We had a blast.  Will try again tonight.

11/25 – late night.  Reworked my crappy decks.  Remade a lead/lore deck for my first foray into Khazad-Dum expansion quest 'into the pit.'  Tried to get creative.  This is another way of saying I don't really know what I'm doing but I know better than to drive with the E brake on.  Heroes were berevor, bifur, and gloin.  Drew steward in my opening hand and I was feeling fat n sassy for the first time in 7 games.  Drew sudden pitfall during the questing phase and bifur was gone.  Ugh.  Well, resource smoothing is so overrated… (?)  decided to keep at it, and my reward was drawing watchful eyes.  I'm hot with the draw.  Vegas Baby!  Two turns later, drew miner of the iron hills.  Got rid of watchful eyes (golly, are there no hills left to climb?).  brought out gildor and haldir.  Berevor, in a touching ESB carbonite scene moment, says to gildor, 'I love you,' and gildor, questing for 3 replies, 'I know.'  Guard of the citadel, daughter of the nimrodel, and faramir follow, and all of a sudden I'm questing!  2B has me put out a patrol leader.  That fat n sassy feeling hits again as I sneak attack Gandalf during the questing phase.  But like tommy boy with his dinner roll sale, I draw an enemy off the encounter deck and no damage.  Ugh.  Where's that puppy again?  I sacrifice guard of the citadel, raise my threat to 46, and read the quest card very carefully.  I interpret it to mean if I get 11 progress I move on, regardless of enemies (please correct me if im wrong!).  So I put Gandalf in regular way next turn and quest with every hero and ally I have.  If it doesn't work, I will lose.  It works, and I move on to 3B (I think).  Quest with everyone again and barely escape…  

If this is TL:DR, or not interesting, let me know.  I don't post much anywhere on the net.  I am a-okay just lurking.  Really enjoy reading this board and others for help, tips, and inspiration.  Good luck to you all!