Sign in to follow this  
Finch204

What did you do with Lotr LCG today?

Oh sure. It make sense now that I read his post again ^^.

I don't know what part of the cardpool you get but so far I always managed to play without tactics in dwarf. So I have many allies that does great the attack task. I do prefer Nori over Dwalin though but you may haven't buy the hobbit saga yet.

Tried Journey Along the Anduin for the second time - I was on my way to winning when a Treachery killed Eowyn, man, it all went downhill fast from there. Treacheries can be brutal; and those stupid little Goblin Snipers can do some unwanted damage if you don't clear out the staging area fast...

Edited by Stewart777

4 hours ago, Stewart777 said:

...and those stupid little Goblin Snipers can do some unwanted damage if you don't clear out the staging area fast...

It's great when you get both off them in the staging area at the same time. /s ?

30 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

It's great when you get both off them in the staging area at the same time. /s ?

That's exactly what happened to me! Such low health/attack and yet doing damage, you just want to throttle them... 

Be warned that Escape from Dol Guldur is absolutely brutal solo. It can be beaten solo using core set cards only (though you may want to proxy multiples of cards appearing in less than triplicate in the core set, like Unexpected Courage), but it'll take incredible luck to succeed and it will feel like you're bashing your head against a brick wall... how strong is your head? 

It's far more enjoyable two-handed or with two players, and really scales badly for solo, even if you play on easy mode. 

Edited by TwiceBornh

3 hours ago, TwiceBornh said:

Be warned that Escape from Dol Guldur is absolutely brutal solo. It can be beaten solo using core set cards only (though you may want to proxy multiples of cards appearing in less than triplicate in the core set, like Unexpected Courage), but it'll take incredible luck to succeed and it will feel like your bashing your head against a brick wall... how strong is your head? 

It's far more enjoyable two-handed or with two players, and really scales badly for solo, even if you play on easy mode. 

Incredible luck? Nay. I can pull off a consistent 15-20%. But I've played this quest multiple times before (as evidenced). I agree it scales poorly for solo.

Either way, we're rooting for you on this beast of a quest, @Stewart777!

On 10/21/2018 at 4:07 PM, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Incredible luck? Nay. I can pull off a consistent 15-20%. But I've played this quest multiple times before (as evidenced). I agree it scales poorly for solo.

Either way, we're rooting for you on this beast of a quest, @Stewart777!

Solo with a 50-card deck of Core only cards? My win ratio was closer to 5%... and a critical factor in success was which of the three heroes ended up as prisoner during set-up. Not sure how you would achieve a 15-20% win ratio under those conditions, but if you have, wow, congrats! Evidently did better 2-handed and 2-player than I did solo.

Edited by TwiceBornh

After scoring a couple of solo progression wins against Across the Ettenmoors, I played 4 straight solo games of The Treachery of Rhudaur these past couple of days, winning the last two with Elrond/Mirlonde/Glorfindel(Sp). Will play the next few games two-handed. 

Edited by TwiceBornh

Just ordered The Wilds of Rhovanion and The Withered Heath, and then also the first AP in the Haradrim cycle, The Mumakil. I thought taming an Oliphant (afrikaans for elephant I think is where Tolkien got that name) sounded like something I might enjoy and a change from the from the usual quests. I'm going in blind so don't spoiler too much if commenting.

6 hours ago, TwiceBornh said:

Solo with a 50-card deck of Core only cards? My win ratio was closer to 5%... and a critical factor in success was which of your three heroes ended up as prisoner during set-up. Not sure how you would achieve a 15-20% win ratio under those conditions, but if you have, wow, congrats! Evidently did better 2-handed and 2-player than I did solo.

Well, it was around 45%, and I chose my prisoner each game. So dividing the results by three to account for the other heroes theoretically being chosen as prisoner as often nets 15%, with a small increase in case I won several games with a different hero as prisoner.

2 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Well, it was around 45%, and I chose my prisoner each game. So dividing the results by three to account for the other heroes theoretically being chosen as prisoner as often nets 15%, with a small increase in case I won several games with a different hero as prisoner.

The Nazgul of Dol Guldur flipped me the bird when I tried to invoke the laws of probability and apply them to random prisoner draw. ? 

3 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Which heroes were you using? Care to share your decklist?

Thus far I have played only two games on OCTGN:

My second one was testing my new deck with Bard the Bowman, Spirit Beregond and Spirit ´`Éowyn against Intruders in Chetwood, the other game was Dénethor, `Éowyn and Aragorn against Dol Guldur with Denethor as the prisoner.

Decklist with cards from three core sets:

Heroes:

Denethor, Aragorn, Éowyn

Allies:

Northern Tracker, Longbeard Orc-slayer, Faramir, Gandalf, Snowbourn Scout, Wandering Took

Attachments:

The Favor of the Lady, Steward of Gondor, Power in the Earth, Celebrían's Stone, Unexpected Courage

Events:

Radagast's Cunning, A Test of Will, Hasty Stroke, Sneak Attack, For Gondor!, The Galadhrim's Greeting

Every card is three times in the deck (I guess this would not qualify as single core) and the deck has 51 cards total. Radagast's Cunning is the only Lore card in there and to be played once Denethor is free and the Nazgul is in the staging area. Obviously this deck can only work, when Denethor is the prisoner.

I managed to win this game, although it's been quite a while and I no longer remember the details.

Been trying The Mumakil. First game I almost made it, I had captured the Mumak and just needed a few more progress on the quest and then I got the Terrible Fever treachery and I died a slow death. If only I hadn't used my Test of Will on another Treachery.

The other 2 times I tried I got terrible location lock and my threat skyrocketed. I did manage to remove Terrible Fever with Miner of the Iron Hills this time though, which I was happy with. Ah well, soldier on I will.

Well managed to beat The Mumakil, but forgot to deal out a few shadow cards along the way so the win doesn't count... ah well still feels better than losing :)

Got Terrible Fever again but managed to counteract it with Self Preservation.

Just won The Steward's Fear two handed since i couldn't find a way to win one-handed. Think this was my 6th or 7th attempt.

One outlands deck and the other, mostly tactics and a bit of lore for healing and card draw. Beregond as main tank (with gondorian shield + citadel plate) and Gimli with ring mail and song of mocking for solid damage.

The outland deck was led by Aragorn (core) with Narsil (a sword that was broken) and Celebrian's stone, Hirluin The Fair (of course!) with Steward of Gondor (to flood the play area with outlanders) and sprifindel. Solid deck, really enjoyed the "sliver" aspect of the outlands trait so far. Will try it with new outlands cards in the future.

This scenario was really challenging, but not near as frustrating as "Into Ithilien" (toughest scenario in the game so far, imho), which by the way i never succeeded at in perhaps 15 or 20 attempts. My best run was a failure on the final push, threat busted 50. I bitterly took it as a win and moved on =(

Cool variable plot and boss aspect to the SF scenario. One of my favourites so far ?

Nightmare level looks really nasty at first glance.

Now to the Drúadan Forest!

Edited by Shirys