Sign in to follow this  
Finch204

What did you do with Lotr LCG today?

I'm sort of trying to create a thread similar to those on car forums. Basically, you state what you have done with the game. Did you play? If so, what quest and how did it go? Did you buy new expansions or adventure packs? Did you buy new sleeves? Did you re-organize your cards or working on a new storage/organizer solution? Anything that you did related to the game, you can share in this thread. I'm looking to create a thread that hopefully gets updated daily so we have something to read about every day. I'm curious to find out what you all do with Lotr LCG.

To start off, last night I built the encounter deck for the 2nd Khazad-dum quest, The Seventh Level.

This morning I ordered the On the Doorstep playmat from FFG. It should arrive next week. I might even hold off on playing the 2nd Khazad-dum quest until it arrives, since I'm using a Dwarf deck for the quests :)

9 minutes ago, Rouxxor said:

I replay the rhovanion deluxe in solo with a mono tactics deck. I still try to figure out how to build this deck so it work for the best. I plan to play against harder quest (cycle 7 and/or nightmare) later.

Which heroes are you using in your mono tactics deck?

With my limited card pool, my mono tactics deck has Beregond, Eowyn and Legolas, though I have not been able to test the deck yet. Once I'm done with the Khazad-dum quests, I'll give the mono tactics deck a try with the core set quests.

Eowyn / Hirgon / Theoden. Mablung could sneak instead of Theoden if I feel I need more resources than starting willpower. I don't really have faith in a Beregond/Eowyn/Legolas deck in solo, since tactics ally lack also willpower. You need to be very lucky ^^.

Edited by Rouxxor

I was playing my Stereotypical Eagles Deck as an extra run for the solo league.  Since it had taken 21 and 20 tokens for the first two quest, I started at 24 tokens for Return to Mirkwood -- not good enough, since I threated out.  32 tokens -- Attercop did me in.  40 tokens -- victory!

Next play will be with 36 tokens.

1 hour ago, player1683311 said:

Played a dozen games of journey in the dark, first time through the saga boxes, got absolutely DESTROYED.  I'd like to think I know this game well enough but holy smokes this is one brutal quest

I've always found the best tactic in normal Journey in the Dark (nightmare stops this strategy entirely) is to win before the Balrog ever even appears. Make sure you cancel any copies of Fool of a Took that appear even if you have to use Ho! Tom Bombadil! 

Edited by PsychoRocka

3 hours ago, PsychoRocka said:

I've always found the best tactic in normal Journey in the Dark (nightmare stops this strategy entirely) is to win before the Balrog ever even appears. Make sure you cancel any copies of Fool of a Took that appear even if you have to use Ho! Tom Bombadil! 

The part that is worse than the balrog is the 2 burdens that neutralize 2 of your 3 heroes.  Losing 2 thirds of your core strength is brutal

7 hours ago, PsychoRocka said:

You need to be really powerful at questing in order to do that. But since it even prevent you for gain any burden it definitely worth a shot :).

I’m still exploring my card pool, building new decks and testing them out. I’m planning on having a solid deck list before shelving the game a little bit, since I’ve been playing it for months, neglecting my other games. Problem is, I’m about 30 decks in, and still not seeing the end of it. The replayability is probably infinite.

Also planning on reading the rules reference this afternoon.

Trying to explore a different part of the card pool this week! I am playing with Arden/Galdor/Ramrod

I am trying to build a deck that cycles fast (then uses will of the west) , but giving me a little bit of control more than Erestor does.

I started by playing coreset and mirkwood cycle nightmare decks. Dol guldur seems unbeatable. I am trying hard to beat conflict at the car rock nightmare ATM. Needs a bit of luck.

I'm taking a vaguely thematic pair of decks through The Lost Realm and Angmar Awakened cycle:

Aragorn/Halbarad/Elrohir and Erestor/Arwen/Elladan

Tonight I got through The Treachery of Rhudaur without too much sweat, picking up a clue for each deck and loading up an excessive 25 damage on Thaudir in the final stage. Now for the hard stuff: Carn Dum and The Dread Realm...

Closest finale so far was a replay of Deadman's Dike (after I realised a play error on the previous win) which ended with one deck at 1 card remaining in it's deck ?

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Rouxxor said:

Eowyn / Hirgon / Theoden. Mablung could sneak instead of Theoden if I feel I need more resources than starting willpower. I don't really have faith in a Beregond/Eowyn/Legolas deck in solo, since tactics ally lack also willpower. You need to be very lucky ^^.

I have no doubt I will most likely struggle with willpower with my mono tactics deck. I'm hoping Eowyn plus a few unique allies will be enough to successfully quest every round.

---------------------------------------------------

Not today, but last Saturday I ended up playing the 2nd Khazad-dum quest, The Seventh Level. I am using a tri-sphere Dwarf deck with Dain, Bifur and Gimli. I got the deck from RingsDB and tweaked it to remove non-thematic cards like Steward of Gondor, Daughter of Nimrodel, etc... It was a really fun play through. I won on my first try, but just barely. The 2nd stage of the quest does a good job of simulating a horde of Goblins/Orcs coming at you while you try to make your escape. There was a stretch of 2-3 rounds where I had 3 engaged enemies and not enough bodies to block them. Dain can block at least twice because I had Erebor Record Keeper in play and I had Veteran of Nanduhirion to block the 3rd enemy. However I only had Gimli to kill off the enemies. Thankfully I had Feints and Sneak Attack on my hand and somehow, managed to fend off the enemy. Some attacks I took undefended and Dain would have been dead, if he didn't have Self Preservation on him. I was extremely lucky to not  have faced the Cave Trolls as they all showed up as Shadow cards.

At 47 threat, with 3 engaged enemies, I used Sneak Attack to bring in another Veteran of Nanduhirion to block an enemy, instead of Feint, so I would have one more attacker in addition to Gimli. Using Sneak Attack triggered Legacy of Durin and the card I drew was Gandalf! I was so happy since I was worried I was going to threat out, not to mention the horde of enemies kept coming. I now realize that I would have drawn him anyway in the next round but during that time, I was ecstatic LOL. With Gandalf in play, I was finally able to win the game.

Edited by Finch204
typo

Played a tense game of Nightmare Drowned Ruins last night, thought I might lose from threat but managed to pull out a victory in the end. Had two copies of Guardian of the Golden King engaged with my combat deck at the end and because the first player's deck was empty they were invulnerable to damage!! Luckily I was only a turn away from potential victory.

There are some REALLY nasty treacheries in the Nightmare version of this quest! Corrupted Flora is potentially the worst!

Also made some minor deck changes to both my decks. Have been using proxies of the new Warrior Sword as well as Swift and Strong. Swift and Strong can be banana's strong in the right situations and it gives one **** of an offensive combat boost.

My On the Doorstep playmat arrived yesterday, but I was so busy I didn't even get to unpack it. Hopefully I will have time to play tonight. I'm thinking I might replay the 2nd Khazad-dum quest a few more times, before I move to the 3rd quest. I'm equally curious and scared, to see how I would fare if the Cave Trolls showed up as enemies on the 2nd quest :)