Sign in to follow this  
Fuertuvius

Most wanted: Missions for 2.0

I think we will get some official missions eventually; I even think there's good reason to believe there is some sort of mission-specific project in the works, such as a campaign set. (That's based on a cagey response to a question in the second edition announcement panel)

Regardless, there will be unofficial missions, and I plan on both adapting my first edition scenarios as well as producing new second edition scenarios and making them available to the community

There are a few ways we could see official missions-

Epic ships for the new factions could include campaigns (as previous epic ship expansions have)

A campaign box could be released, such as the campaign in armada

Released online exclusively, as standalones (one mission has been released this way)

Via a mission-builder webpage (Mission Control 2.0) (Don't hold your breath)

Released in expansions again (this has ceased since 2.0's introduction)

Being completely honest, it is the rare FFG mission that really interests me, mechanistically, or thematically. I both anticipate and dread a big rollout of any mission pack or campaign from them. Building missions is a delicate art that I don't think they have a good grasp of or spend a lot of time thinking about it. Bad missions turn people off of scenario-based play, and I think people should play more scenarios. 

Edited by Babaganoosh

2 hours ago, Babaganoosh said:

There are a few ways we could see official missions-

Epic ships for the new factions could include campaigns (as previous epic ship expansions have)

A campaign box could be released, such as the campaign in armada

Released online exclusively, as standalones (one mission has been released this way)

Via a mission-builder webpage (Mission Control 2.0) (Don't hold your breath)

Released in expansions again (this has ceased since 2.0's introduction)

Being completely honest, it is the rare FFG mission that really interests me, mechanistically, or thematically. I both anticipate and dread a big rollout of any mission pack or campaign from them. Building missions is a delicate art that I don't think they have a good grasp of or spend a lot of time thinking about it. Bad missions turn people off of scenario-based play, and I think people should play more scenarios. 

Yeah, at this stage of the game I really wouldn't expect much in the way of a quality product, especially something as complex as a campaign.

Honestly, I don't think we will ever see anything of the kind.

First of all, they kinda said as much.  At some point, Alex said "all we have time for is spaceships."

Second, when 1.0 was faltering and they could have taken the time to rejuvenate the game with scenarios, missions, or a campaign, they instead spent the time on creating 2.0 to make Standard Play acceptable again.

Apparently, adding narrative to the game is not something FFG sees as useful.  The "themed" parts of the app are nothing more than restricted listbuilding.

IMHO the best you can hope for is Epic sooner rather than later.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Maybe in an Epic conversion kit? 

I'm just guessing that the Venn Diagram of people who want thematic, mission-based play and people who own Epic ships has some serious overlap.

Yeah, because otherwise, the kit will be what, 5 dials and 5 bases?? :lol:

One thing I would hope they might do for 2.0 Epic is figure out a way to have 1 damage deck for all Huge ships.  It's a royal pain to have 3+ damage decks for a single game.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, at this stage of the game I really wouldn't expect much in the way of a quality product, especially something as complex as a campaign.

Honestly, I don't think we will ever see anything of the kind.

First of all, they kinda said as much.  At some point, Alex said "all we have time for is spaceships."

Second, when 1.0 was faltering and they could have taken the time to rejuvenate the game with scenarios, missions, or a campaign, they instead spent the time on creating 2.0 to make Standard Play acceptable again.

Apparently, adding narrative to the game is not something FFG sees as useful.  The "themed" parts of the app are nothing more than restricted listbuilding.

IMHO the best you can hope for is Epic sooner rather than later.

Meanie you are on the rampage again aren’t you.  I enjoy your posts as they are so Sith like.  Please continue ? I’m enjoying 2.0 quite a lot and preparing for a 400 point epic dogfight next week.  2.0 really has breathed new life into the game.  I’m also busy converting my Scarif scenario to 2.0.  2.0 Epic should be awesome.  All you need is hope that they’ll remake the amazing Gozanti campaign.

Sadly I don't think we'll get anything but fluffy ones from the designers, and those only for things like epic. I think because in the design for 2.0 they realized what many already had: the games core mechanics are not conducive to the implementation of your classic objective/mission type systems. The game plays too fast and hard, with no turn limit, for most traditional systems to be implemented and used. Sucks, but I feel that them the brakes. 

Now if they did a game series squad maintenance system like the fleet maintenance system from Armada... Now you have my attention.

2 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

in the design for 2.0 they realized what many already had: the games core mechanics are not conducive to the implementation of your classic objective/mission type systems. The game plays too fast and hard, with no turn limit, for most traditional systems to be implemented and used.

Soooooo....

Then they need to design other elements of the game that don't do that.  Turbolaser turrets, space stations, 1 die attack support ships, boarding actions, squadron mechanics, space slugs, purrgil, etc. 

They did it for Epic: energy allocation, jam, reinforce, coordinate, et. Al.

Some can easily port, like coordinate.  Others are a terrible idea in smaller play like 1.0 reinforce. 

And lots of people seem to have successfully done it as DIY.

But until FFG realizes (and the community stops reinforcing) that "only three people care," nothing is ever going to be designed or produced that makes missions possible. 

Mainly because some of THAT design space is not going to be used to win Worlds.  And it seems that both players and FFG insist that anything designed for the game MUST fit both worlds--narrative and standard.  Which means that non-standard is never going to be thought of as its own unique thing, and thus is always going to get the short end of the stick.

5 hours ago, Sasajak said:

Meanie you are on the rampage again aren’t you.  

Yep.

Bah, humbug.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Sadly I don't think we'll get anything but fluffy ones from the designers, and those only for things like epic. I think because in the design for 2.0 they realized what many already had: the games core mechanics are not conducive to the implementation of your classic objective/mission type systems. The game plays too fast and hard, with no turn limit, for most traditional systems to be implemented and used. Sucks, but I feel that them the brakes. 

Now if they did a game series squad maintenance system like the fleet maintenance system from Armada... Now you have my attention.

There are lots of scenario archetypes that wouldn't work in X-wing, but there are still plenty of ways to make interesting scenarios; check these out: Grayskull Missions

I was a bit surprised to see that there were no missions in the Core Set "rulebook." They could have just reprinted the original Core Set's three missions, couldn't they have? I can't think of anything in, say, the Senator's Shuttle Escape mission that would cause it to not work with a 2.0 Core Set. The original three missions were the first thing I tried way back when I got my first Core Sets and they were very helpful with learning the game but I shouldn't be too surprised though; nothing about the 2.0 launch or Wave One makes it seem more noob/beginner friendly.

Edited by EYEL1NER