Raithnor

B-Wing S-Foil Servomotors - How'd you make it?

9 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

What if the B-Wing either got configuration cards like the Gunboat to represent different loadouts? They could do that as a way to bring back the variant seen in 1.0 where it added a Crew slot to the craft, or they could have a unique configuration to represent the B-Wing prototype from Rebels. Alternatively, it would be interesting if they had something that let it shift its bullseye arc over to the left or right at the start of the round, would be interesting to see that in conjunction with HLC on them. 

Mobile Bullseye Arc? I like the sound of that. It seems easily doable too, with a few images for examples/illustration. At the System phase they have to declare their Bullseye position with a new token/arc indicator(or make it an action maybe?). When measuring for left bullseye just place range ruler along the left of the original bullseye, against the front edge of base and touching the left nub(still facing front)(similar for right)(yes there would be a thin separation between the bullseye arcs because of the nubs. Coupled with barrel roll that could lead to some pretty rad lineups for bullseye shots :D

Edited by Muelmuel

7 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

Luke specifically tells Biggs and Wedge to close their wings in ANH to increase to full throttle in the trench run. You can disagree all you want but in Star Wars physics closing your foils on a T-65 does increase it’s top speed. Likely because the guns don’t fire in that configuration and the extra power is diverted to engines, aerodynamics has nothing to do with it.

Also a side note, never once seen an xwing enter lightspeed without it’s wings closed, further proof the ship has more engine power with the wings closed.

@LordFajubi What in the heck are you on about?  Luke does not tell them to close their wings, nor do the X-Wings in the trench ever close their wings on screen or have their wings closed on screen.  The Battle of Yavin is all over YouTube, so please feel free to post a link to a particular vid and note the time-stamp you'd like us to look at.  (I just double-checked the Battle of Yavin scenes, and it's not there, but feel free to show me otherwise.)

Also, craft close their wings in hyperspace (and non-combat speed flight) because it narrows their profile and covers up their more vulnerable circuitries that are exposed (for cooling purposes) when the ship is at attack speed with the foils open.  Note that hyperspace travel has nothing to do with sublight speed or engine power broadly.  The sublight engines and the hyperdrive are separate systems, hence why the Falcon's hyperdrive can be nonfucntional during ESB despite the ship still flying around.  Furthermore, hyperspace requires jumping into and out of another dimension of space, it's not about just going really really really fast...

13 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Based on what?  S-Foils exist in Star Wars to make ships more compact when they land or dock.  If the S-Foils of a B-Wing or X-Wing didn't close, the craft would need abnormally long landing-gear and ladders to get the crew in and out.   The U-Wing closes it's foils for landing mode so that the craft doesn't take up a ridiculous amount of space.  And that's it.

The only time we see X-Wings close their foils during combat in canon sources is when Poe does it to squeeze in a narrow hole at Starkiller Base and when Hera does it to squeeze under the sensor tower of an ISD in Rebels.  In both cases, it was only done to minimize the ship's profile.  ****, if having your foils closed somehow made you faster or more maneuverable we'd have certainly seen the Red Squadron X-Wings doing it during their attack runs at Yavin, especially since they didn't need their laser cannons.  And we see ships routinely accelerating to attack speed after opening their foils.  If anything, ships with their foils closed should be slower and less maneuverable, not moreso.

But, this is a game, and FFG needed to find ways to make toggling them opened and closed game-relevant.  The only other time it was game relevant was in an N64 on-the-rail Rogue Squadron arcade game, where perpetually opening and closing your foils gave you little boosts of speed.  But that game is hardly canon, especially since like Wedge needs to kill over 100 TIE Fighters in the Endor level ... yea super realistic.

If closing the foils minimises the ship's profile, maybe the B-Wing's "thing" could be some ability that reduce's the effect of terrain whilst the foils are closed (at the expense of firepower of something, obviously).

Overall though, I would say that the reason for the s-foil mechanic in this game is more "we can see the wings move in the movies, so we should represent it in game!" The actual mechanics themselves are less important as actually having something to represent the moving wing, for better or for worse. We can also see that this mechanic has then expanded to represent ships like the U-Wing, so I would say the mechanic itself is not really an X-Wing only thing (although the specific effect can be X-Wing only). In this respect, I see no reason to not give ships like the B-Wing or Lambda their own similar mechanics as the game moves forward, although the release of 2E would probably have been a nice time to do it.

Edited by nekomatafuyu
Grammar correction

3 minutes ago, nekomatafuyu said:

If closing the foils minimises the ship's profile, maybe the B-Wing's "thing" could be some ability that reduce's the effect of terrain whilst the foils are closed (at the expense of firepower of something, obviously).

Overall though, I would say that the reason for the s-foil mechanic in this game is more "we can see the wings move in the movies, so we should represent it in game!" The actual mechanics themselves are less important as actually having something to represent the moving wing, for better or for worse. We can also see that this mechanic has then expanded to represent ships like the U-Wing, so I would say the mechanic itself is not really an X-Wing only thing (although the specific effect can be X-Wing only). In this respect, I see no reason for not give ships like the B-Wing or Lambda their own similar mechanics as the game moves forward, although the release of 2E would probably have been a nice time to do it.

Don't you go dragging the poor Lambda into this!  There is no reason for the shuttle to raise its wings outside of landing, and we should keep it that way!

I think I’d rather have a configuration more like the gunboat for the Bwing. One side is a crew slot, one side is some sort of linked barrel roll + focus or similar. 

Mic you must have S-foils that function like Xwings, allow the beings to close, reduce their agility or remove the barrel roll, and then allow them to ignore obstacles or the effects of collisions. 

1 hour ago, nekomatafuyu said:

Landing involves low speed manoeuvring ;)

Everything the Lambda does involves low-speed maneuvering, but that's not why they raise.  The only reason they raise is because the wings are too wide and low to allow landing and efficient hangering otherwise.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Everything the Lambda does involves low-speed maneuvering, but that's not why they raise.  The only reason they raise is because the wings are too wide and low to allow landing and efficient hangering otherwise.

So, the same reason why X-Wings aren't getting s-foils then? ;)

the S-Foils on a B-Wing enacted the chance to rotate the starfighter around the cockpit giving it an enhanced stability in bombing action, and a extraordinary precision in it. This was never truly used, nor in EU nor in films. So it remained only a way to mount two more guns and to gain more speed at expence of firepower. In Legends, B-Wing rapidly go phasing out for the enormous ratio of problem of his design. It is powerfull and all, but it also give a lot of problem that was judged as is death cause.

later, the decomissioned b-wings, came to aftermarket, and were the basis to some of most successfull uglies, as one, the Deathraven which fully exploited the collar 

If closed S-Foils gave you a disarm token, but made all of your 3 banks white, I think that would be pretty useful for the few turns before you engage. Nothing crazy good, but nothing horrible either.

I think the B-Wing repack will hopefully have a title or something, or a double-cannon slot weapon that is super powerful. I do like the idea of adding a crew slot back, too.

I was not a fan of the T65 getting abilities from closing its s-foils for the many reasons stated here.  However, it sure needed anything, something; so close s-fools for bost.  Meh, but really really needed boost the boost.  

Same thing with B-wing.  Leave s-fools alone and give cannon or torpedo configuration.   Maybe a free barrel roll (rotating cockpit). 

12 hours ago, nekomatafuyu said:

Landing involves low speed manoeuvring ;)

Technically landing and take off in Star Wars involves using repulsors, which aren't part of the ships typical engines or in-flight maneuvering.

The (boring) truth in Star Wars is that foldy wings close up so ships can have a more compact profile when they land and dock.  But this is a game that is desperately looking for any fresh mechanics to add, so now we've got games where X-Wings are flying around the board constantly opening and closing their wings like they're some kind of flappy-winged space bird, all the the while firing proton torpedos directly into TIE Fightes (yea, you know, proton torpedoes, the things that Wedge said would be impossible to hit an immobile 3m target with...).   X-Wing dogfights are just like the source material now!!!!   ?

On 9/28/2018 at 4:23 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Based on what?  S-Foils exist in Star Wars to make ships more compact when they land or dock.  If the S-Foils of a B-Wing or X-Wing didn't close, the craft would need abnormally long landing-gear and ladders to get the crew in and out.   The U-Wing closes it's foils for landing mode so that the craft doesn't take up a ridiculous amount of space.  And that's it.

The only time we see X-Wings close their foils during combat in canon sources is when Poe does it to squeeze in a narrow hole at Starkiller Base and when Hera does it to squeeze under the sensor tower of an ISD in Rebels.  In both cases, it was only done to minimize the ship's profile.  ****, if having your foils closed somehow made you faster or more maneuverable we'd have certainly seen the Red Squadron X-Wings doing it during their attack runs at Yavin, especially since they didn't need their laser cannons.  And we see ships routinely accelerating to attack speed after opening their foils.  If anything, ships with their foils closed should be slower and less maneuverable, not moreso.

In addition to storage in hangar bays, S-Foils also allow better heat radiation by exposing more surface area; quite important when you're dealing with bolts of superheated gas as your main weapon (your average friendly Laser Cannon). Furthermore, spreading the S-Foils allows a wider field of fire than attacking with the lasers, and would provide the ability to better adjust convergence than if they were simply bolted to the ends of stationary wings.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, LordFajubi said:

Luke specifically tells Biggs and Wedge to close their wings in ANH to increase to full throttle in the trench run. You can disagree all you want but in Star Wars physics closing your foils on a T-65 does increase it’s top speed. Likely because the guns don’t fire in that configuration and the extra power is diverted to engines, aerodynamics has nothing to do with it.

Also a side note, never once seen an xwing enter lightspeed without it’s wings closed, further proof the ship has more engine power with the wings closed.

The lasers can fire with the S-Foils closed, we've seen it in Rebels and Legends sources, they're just not as accurate and it probably voids the warranty. Likewise, in Legends sources we've seen X-Wings jump with the S-Foils open due to battle damage; closing the S-Foils probably serves to streamline the craft and mean less power is used for ploughing through the universe at x times the speed of light, but it wouldn't increase the overall velocity. S-Foils giving speed bosts/cutting weapon power entirely seems to be the sole remit of the video games.

23 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

There's a very decent argument to be made that X-Wings are more maneuverable with their s-foils open, as it spaces the engines apart a little further. Assuming X-Wings maneuver via vectored and proportional thrust (i.e turning left means more power comes out of the right thrusters, and less out of the left) spacing them further apart increases the displacement of the thrusters vs the centre of mass, and means less engine power is needed per thruster to produce a thrust bias. In other words, spacing the engines out more makes it easier to turn.

The X-Wing cross-section doesn't show it, but I believe several Legends novels reference attitude jets on the tips of the S-Foils, which would make more sense than manoeuvring solely with the thrust vector plates in the main engines.

Hrm.  A multi-fire configuration...

Fabritech ANq 3.6 Tracking System (Precision Fire): When you engage, you may flip this card.

Fabritech ANq 3.6 Tracking System (Spread Fire): Roll 1 fewer attack die.  After you perform a [cannon] attack, you may perform a bonus attack using a different weapon.  When you engage, you may flip this card.

*edit*
Maybe make it a more generic name, and allow it to be "B-Wing and TIE-Defender only."

Edited by theBitterFig

38 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

Not sure on the name, but i'd like something like this all the same.

EBbPgPd.jpg?1

The names fine, if you wanted to go with the B-Wing prototype then, after checking wookiepedia, Blade Wing or Prototype B6 would be the name for it.

I figure the Blade Wing as a unique configuration or title would work, and would add a Gunner slot and maybe build in the super laser that it had as a single shot high damage attack like how the Black One title has a single use SLAM. 

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

The names fine, if you wanted to go with the B-Wing prototype then, after checking wookiepedia, Blade Wing or Prototype B6 would be the name for it.

I figure the Blade Wing as a unique configuration or title would work, and would add a Gunner slot and maybe build in the super laser that it had as a single shot high damage attack like how the Black One title has a single use SLAM. 

This card is supposed to represent the A/SF-01 linked system (e.g. firing multiple cannons in unison) but I could only find a photo of the B6 firing all cannons, so disregard the image.