Hnloaded

Multi-Faction ships

So i noticed there's not a ton of visual difference between the Y-Wings in the Rebellion and Scum and Villainy factions. Is there anything against me treating an X-Wing as a Headhunter or re-using a Y-Wing in Scum and Villainy squads for its appropriate equivalent from S&V?

For casual gaming, it comes down to whatever your opponent is OK with.

For tournaments in X-Wing First Edition, you can definitely use any version of the Y-Wing with any color scheme regardless of the faction.  You cannot, however, use a different ship model as a substitution, so you could no more use an X-Wing model as a Z-95 then you could use an A-Wing as a substitute for an M3-A Interceptor.

As there are no tournament rules for second edition yet, it's impossible to say for certain what the rules will be, but I suspect they will be the same or at least similar to the first edition rules.

As long as your ships/cards are properly identified, it's perfectly fine unless FFG changes that from 1.0. I have TO'd many times and on one occasion, someone was using a scum Y on a rebel list against someone flying a scum Y and the scum player asked them to use a different model because they were partially color blind and were getting a little confused, but everyone was cool and accommodating. If in doubt, ask your opponent. If they are cool with it, then get those ships on the mat and PEW PEW! 

1 hour ago, shaunmerritt said:

As long as your ships/cards are properly identified, it's perfectly fine unless FFG changes that from 1.0. I have TO'd many times and on one occasion, someone was using a scum Y on a rebel list against someone flying a scum Y and the scum player asked them to use a different model because they were partially color blind and were getting a little confused, but everyone was cool and accommodating. If in doubt, ask your opponent. If they are cool with it, then get those ships on the mat and PEW PEW! 

Seems good. I'll just ask the TOs when I go to a tournament. Thanks!

On 9/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, Hnloaded said:

Seems good. I'll just ask the TOs when I go to a tournament. Thanks!

I would not worry about Y-Wings, but be prepared for a TO to say "'T-65 X-Wing' and 'Z-95 Headhunter' are spelled and pronounced differently; you may not use X-Wing models as Headhunters."

On 9/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, digitalbusker said:

I would not worry about Y-Wings, but be prepared for a TO to say "'T-65 X-Wing' and 'Z-95 Headhunter' are spelled and pronounced differently; you may not use X-Wing models as Headhunters."

Yeah. I talked to my local TO about it.  He says he's pretty relaxed about it, so it shouldn't be an issue as long as I say up front to my opponent what's going on.   Granted, this doesn't seem to apply 100% since i was made aware you can just grab a 2.0 Y-Wing for Rebels off the shelf and use the conversion kit bits to get a Scum one early.

It is clear a Y-Wing is a Y-Wing, regardless of faction. And an X-Wing isn't a Z-95 Headhunter of course. Except for that clear example about color blindness, I don't think many people would have a problem with using a Rebel Y-Wing miniature as a Scum Y-Wing or vice versa.

The real fun starts when people bring their custom repaints to the table. I've seen bright blue Rebel starships (X-Wings, Y-Wings and B-Wings) from a guy who invented his own "Mon Cal Space Guard rebel cell". He simply added all the appropriate identification counters to the ships' bases and his cards. Goes to show that color doesn't seem to define faction as much as your cards and your sportmanship/openness does.