Sign in to follow this  
Tie Fighter Pilot

What do you guys consider "proffesional" painting?

"Professional" is anything you get paid for doing.

Thus, pre-painted minis like the "Star Wars Miniatures" collectible game all have professional paint jobs.

It's just not a good descriptor of quality, which is why most good commision painters have several tiers of paint job specified in their pricing.

Edited by aniron

I consider "tabletop quality" to be flat colors with a wash and maybe one highlight. Anything above that is "Pro quality" to me.

But strictly speaking, yeah a person who gets paid to paint is technically a professional painter, regardless of quality.

48c.jpg

Tabletop standard, more or less, is three colors and basing. I go beyond that, but still consider my stuff tabletop (won't win any painting contests), but look nice on the table. As above, professional is anything paid for. My son doesn't sell his stuff, but shades and layers his stuff. He has won painting contests, so he is a high quality painter. I just don't have the patience for that...

2 hours ago, Mep said:

"Professional painters" don't get paint on the carpet, don't leave foot prints and keep the swearing to a minimum.

That last bit, I believe, is patently untrue. I have sold painted miniatures in the past and most of my paint jobs are applied with a hefty dose of profanity.