Vykk Draygo

So, how’s the app working for everyone else?

not usable for me.

I spent a fair amount of time building a squad for tonight.

I hit the save squad button and dealt with something else.

I came back to double check what I built and there was no squad saved.

Pissed me off no end.

So, no it isn't usable as I can't save my squads.

The designers promised the moon when shilling 2.0 through various meet ups as seen on youtube.

7 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

What did they promise?

At the most simple level that the app would work.  As far as the advanced features that they mentioned, like setting up tournaments, they're non-existent.  Currently the most reliable way of making lists is printing the points pdf.  There are far too many issues with the app to indicate that is was any better than a secondary priority to them.

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, I big promise is that it would be the mechanism by which the game remains balanced.

So it is an utter failure if it cannot even generate a legal list NOW.

The one thing I've seen for generating illegal lists is the ability to equip both a unique pilot and the crew/gunner version of the same person.  While this is clearly a bug, it will presumably be fixed (probably before too long) and is rather obvious and easy to check for to validate lists.  And has NO bearing on the ability to use the app to balance the game.

16 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I think a lot of the complaints about the app are very Veruca Salt-esque - people complaining about it being not what they wanted, rather than focusing on what it actually is.  "It doesn't do what I wanted it to do ergo it is bad".  It's basically like being given a plate of chips for free and then complaining because it's not a steak.

It's had a rough launch, no doubt, but as you said, it's usable.

To clarify, which if you read the first post in this thread wouldn’t be needed. I can not save squads in the app. I can not add ships to squads sometimes, almost like arbitrarily deciding I’m not gonna work, after adding two ships and being in the 110-120 point range. I don’t understand how this is construed into it not being what I wanted, unless of course you are basing it off the fact that I wanted something usable. The app is a joke....and it’s on us. If your happy giving a company more and more of your money to keep getting inferior product then it appears one of us has better expectations when they give a company money. As was posted by someone else above, I’ve deleted the app, I’m not going to continue supporting a company with my hard earned cash to get inferior products. I will be voting with my wallet and by stepping down from running organized play events. I have spent years building a community for this game and the community deserves better than what we have been given if you like then please, give them your money, I’ll be keeping mine unless something drastically changes in this game. 

4 minutes ago, XiliX said:

At the most simple level that the app would work.  As far as the advanced features that they mentioned, like setting up tournaments, they're non-existent.  Currently the most reliable way of making lists is printing the points pdf.  There are far too many issues with the app to indicate that is was any better than a secondary priority to them.

They never (to my knowledge) said you'd be able to set up actual tournaments in the builder, just support different  formats for tournaments.  And that much is there (though you dont' appear to be able to do custom formats in the app itself, it's on the web buildre).  As for actually building lists in the app, I have like 20+ built in there so far, so it's clearly far from "unusable" like so many people seem to be claiming.

And to note, I agree that the actual release of the official builder was a massive mess and there were a lot of issues that should NOT exist even on initial release. But the vast majority of those were fixed almost immediately, and while it's not perfect, it's perfectly usable with some bugs that will get fixed.

Edited by VanderLegion

It works, and I use it (like it better then launch bay next).

But it is missing a heap ton of features, like seeing the ships movement dial.

It also needs to be available offline, and I would kill for somekind of tomb interaction. If you have to be online be anyways why not be able to register and report results to tomb during a tournament?

1 minute ago, VanderLegion said:

They never (to my knowledge) said you'd be able to set up actual tournaments in the builder, just support different  formats for tournaments.  And that much is there (though you dont' appear to be able to do custom formats in the app itself, it's on the web buildre).  As for actually building lists in the app, I have like 20+ built in there so far, so it's clearly far from "unusable" like so many people seem to be claiming.

And to note, I agree that the actual release of the official builder was a massive mess and there were a lot of issues that should NOT exist even on initial release. But the vast majority of those were fixed almost immediately, and while it's not perfect, it's perfectly usable with some bugs that will get fixed.

I've written software for 25 years.  If I delivered this application to a client, they would have every right to not pay me until it works.  That's what I'll be doing, not spending any more money on X-Wing until at a minimum, saving lists and editing lists is solid.  Also being able to see the points on the cards when using the search feature.  In my opinion, that's a very low bar to clear.

I realize the app is free, but free crap is still crap.  Feel free to defend the app and spend all the money you want.  I have higher expectations before I go drop another $300 to update my existing collection and pick up the new expansions.

5 minutes ago, XiliX said:

I've written software for 25 years.  If I delivered this application to a client, they would have every right to not pay me until it works.  That's what I'll be doing, not spending any more money on X-Wing until at a minimum, saving lists and editing lists is solid.  Also being able to see the points on the cards when using the search feature.  In my opinion, that's a very low bar to clear.

I realize the app is free, but free crap is still crap.  Feel free to defend the app and spend all the money you want.  I have higher expectations before I go drop another $300 to update my existing collection and pick up the new expansions.

I'm also a software developer (and with my own squad builder for the last 2 years no less).  And as I said, the initial release was terrible, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was fired for releasing something int he state the builder was on release day.  But it was fixed within like 24 hours and the state it's in now is fine.  As I said, there's some bugs, but that happens in software development.  As long as they keep fixing the bugs that are found, that alone doesn't bother me.  Personally saving and editing lists has worked perfectly fine for me (I'm aware there's an issue with hardpoints not being saved apparnetly, but haven't built anything with scyks to run into that one specifically myself)

Edit: And apparently the m3a bug has been fixed

Edited by VanderLegion

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Am I the only one who’s not had any problems with it...?

Nope.  I've run into a couple of issues, but nothing major.

11 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

...I can not save squads in the app. I can not add ships to squads sometimes, almost like arbitrarily deciding I’m not gonna work, after adding two ships and being in the 110-120 point range...

Fair enough.  I can only comment from my own point of view, and I certainly haven't run into any of these issues.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

6 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

The app is a joke....and it’s on us. If your happy giving a company more and more of your money to keep getting inferior product then it appears one of us has better expectations when they give a company money. 

Agreed.  And I am flabbergasted by the amount of acceptance going on for this.  Sure, you can still play the game.  Sure, there are end-arounds.

The app is a supposed lynch-pin for the game going forward. 

The fact that it is STILL a buggy disaster 2 weeks later (with no end in sight), no information from FFG other that "oops, we're working on it," and NO TRANSPARENCY ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG AS WELL AS A LONG-WINDED APOLOGY FROM FFG in the news pages (which I think the community ABSOLUTELY does deserve), I really don't think that FFG respects the community that supports them.

I mean, I keep looking for official information about the state of the App.  But all I can really do to see how things are going is to continue the assess the level of complaining and bug reports by the community.  That's horse****.

7 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

The one thing I've seen for generating illegal lists is the ability to equip both a unique pilot and the crew/gunner version of the same person.  While this is clearly a bug, it will presumably be fixed (probably before too long) and is rather obvious and easy to check for to validate lists.  And has NO bearing on the ability to use the app to balance the game.

I had presumed the App was going to work on 9/13.

Image result for tricked me once shame you

1 minute ago, VanderLegion said:

But it was fixed within like 24 hours and the state it's in now is fine.  As I said, there's some bugs, but that happens in software development.

If it was fixed, you wouldn't have this many people still having saving and editing issues.  If you noticed in their release notes neither of these things were mentioned as addressed.  This app is not rocket science.  It's a very small project and it not native on IOS or android.  It's shoe horned into a browser app.  It doesn't even work offline.

Obviously you have no problem with it, but don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.  If it works for you, great, enjoy it.  I choose not to spend any more money on X-Wing until I'm happy with the entire product.  That's my prerogative as a consumer. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

... I mean, I keep looking for official information about the state of the App.  But all I can really do to see how things are going is to continue the assess the level of complaining and bug reports by the community.  That's horse****.

Agreed, an easy way to stop a lot of complaining would be to have a pinned thread with updates like...

In testing: Feature 1, 2, 3

In development: Feature 4, 5, 6

If they would just communicate with the community, I would be fine, however, there's one pinned thread with no real information.  This reminds me of so many badly launched MMO's.

6 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

The fact that it is STILL a buggy disaster 2 weeks later (with no end in sight), no information from FFG other that "oops, we're working on it," and NO TRANSPARENCY ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG AS WELL AS A LONG-WINDED APOLOGY FROM FFG in the news pages (which I think the community ABSOLUTELY does deserve), I really don't think that FFG respects the community that supports them.

I mean, I keep looking for official information about the state of the App.  But all I can really do to see how things are going is to continue the assess the level of complaining and bug reports by the community.  That's horse****.

We clearly disagree on what constitutes a buggy disaster.  I already agreed it was a disaster on release, and should never have been released in that state.  But while I've seen some minor bugs I would hardly call it a disaster now.

what would you call it if you can't save squad builds?

don't belittle others just because it works for you. It clearly doesn't for some here and that is causing frustration and anger.

personally, most who work producing products for others know they would be fired if they turned in the app like it was on Sept 13th.

at the very least a public statement and apology is the least FFGs can do to the community. we're sorry, we're listening and we're working hard to fix the problems...

12 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

We clearly disagree on what constitutes a buggy disaster.  I already agreed it was a disaster on release, and should never have been released in that state.  But while I've seen some minor bugs I would hardly call it a disaster now.

Still unreliable saves. And randomly deleted squads I do manage to save. Still a disaster now.

Or is failure of core function a minor bug?

7 minutes ago, robert t said:

personally, most who work producing products for others know they would be fired if they turned in the app like it was on Sept 13th.

As I already stated I would expect to have been fired if I'd released that?  I'm not arguing about the state on the 13th, I've agreed that it was a disaster.  That has no bearing on how it is NOW.  I can't speak to the saving issues that a few people here are reporting since I haven't run into it myself.  not being able to save lists is definitely an issue.

7 minutes ago, robert t said:

at the very least a public statement and apology is the least FFGs can do to the community. we're sorry, we're listening and we're working hard to fix the problems...

On 9/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, FFGSysops said:

As is evident to many of you who excitedly booted up the X-Wing Squad Builder yesterday, its launch did not go as well as we hoped. Several critical features were either missing or non-functional, and we were just as dismayed by this fact as you all were—probably more so.

Since then, we have been working more-or-less around the clock to address the Squad Builder’s technical issues, and with the latest update, the most critical issues have been fixed. That being said, the Squad Builder is still far from perfect. We will continue to listen to player feedback and monitor forums as we attempt to identify any unresolved issues and prioritize fixes. We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible Squad Builder experience, and you can expect to see immediate and regular updates to the website and mobile apps over the next several days.

56 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

45 minutes ago, robert t said:

what would you call it if you can't save squad builds?

don't belittle others just because it works for you. It clearly doesn't for some here and that is causing frustration and anger.

So, this.

Who do I believe??  VangerLegion or Robert T???

And a weekly blow-by-blow of the issues, complains, bugs, and resolutions that are happening with this project.

I was unhappy at the release.  I'm even more unhappy at the silence about making it better.

Edited by Darth Meanie

well, I missed seeing that statement. an apology won't have hurt them...

don't believe anyone, try it yourself...

I can't save squads ...... period.  If I spent hours and hours on it, maybe I could get a few to work but really, it should work right from the start.

I'd still expect to be fired if the product as is NOW was turned in. Even if only 10% of the users can't make it work, it is a failure.

Right now, using the latest release, I can't save squads. This is unacceptable regardless of "we are working hard to fix..." BS from FFG.

I'm glad it works for you, I wish it would for me.  

40 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I was unhappy at the release.  I'm even more unhappy at the silence about making it better.

There's also this.  Not overly informative on bug fixes, and I agree they could be more open about what's going on, but they haven't been completely silent either.

25 minutes ago, robert t said:

don't believe anyone, try it yourself...

I can't save squads ...... period.  If I spent hours and hours on it, maybe I could get a few to work but really, it should work right from the start.

I'd still expect to be fired if the product as is NOW was turned in. Even if only 10% of the users can't make it work, it is a failure.

Right now, using the latest release, I can't save squads. This is unacceptable regardless of "we are working hard to fix..." BS from FFG.

I'm glad it works for you, I wish it would for me.  

Out of curiosity, does it fail to save for you for every format?  Is it only one format you're having issues?  Are you using the website or one of the apps (and which platform if so)?  I've really only built extended lists so far personally (only built a couple second edition lists last week), so it's possible there could be an issue with another format that could be why I haven't seen it.  (and hte more info FFG has on how to reproduce it themselves, the easier they can track it down to fix it)

Edited by VanderLegion

No problems saving for me on ios 12 iphone 8. To further @VanderLegionqueries, what phone are you using, what system software version, how loaded up with garbage is it, do you run virus scans? There are a lot of things that can make a phone app fail and I find it interesting that not everyone experiences the same issues.