Vykk Draygo

So, how’s the app working for everyone else?

So, title says it all, what are your experiences with the app? I’ve been trying to build lists for over a week, not able to save them, get halfway through building a list and can no longer add another ship even though I’ve barely broken 100 points. It’s quite frustrating, I’m using an iPhone for reference, it’s pushed me to the point where I refuse to waste any more of my life with the app. I’ll eventually play something other than quickbuild when I have time to print out the point costs and build lists by hand. The truly sad part is I now understand all those who said they didn’t want an app in the game for listbuilding, it has pushed me to find other ways to occupy my time, listbuilding has taken all joy from the game. I also run the local community and have started looking for a replacement to run organized play, I find less and less desire to play or be involved and it’s primarily from a pisspoor excuse for a listbuilding app. Hopefully your experiences have been better. 

I've found Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0 to be quite nice for list building.

The official App I've found unpleasant in the hour I spent with it. Way to much loading, scrolling, and changing screens to do simple things that you can do quickly and all on one screen with other builders. I can't see using their app without a complete overhaul of this stuff, not to mention adressing bugs and a better collection system.

I'm really greateful for the third party builder options keeping list building fun/practical which is key to making this game work.

Given up on the official app for now, unless we see squad bugs fixed.

Not to mention just how clunky it feels; too much emphasis on card images rather than data, useless card flavor (which is fine and fun on physical cards) cluttering rules data, no ability to clone generics, and no offline mode.

Then the trivial cosmetic bugs which, while they don’t affect the functionality, telegraph the effort that went into this (logos and trademark text crunching together, etc).

I’ve messed around with Launchbay and it seems fine, but I’m used to YASB and it’s just superb on my PC, Android phone, and iPad; does everything I want it to with simple drop-down menus and no graphic clutter.

It would be nice to show up to a game and not have to explain that my HWK should have two mod slots even though the “official” app doesn’t reflect that.

The worst point for me is that it needs to be online all the time. I need an offline version for commuting (and saving bandwith/money).

It is clunky, full of sloppy misrakes, no dials contained, it frequently crashes for me, slow in updating list-costs (Android on 4G quad 2.3Mhz).

Recent problem, refuses to delete ships from lists with 6+ generic ships, so annoying,

Admittedly, I was sceptical when they first announced it, but this mess is far worse than expected.

3rd party apps and webpages for me, but this means double work+ when building for a FFG restricted list event (building somewhere else first, then manually porting over, hoping it showing being legal, otherwise back to the drawing board).

Anyone getting TOME flashbacks?

The App is at best described as serviceable. The UI is clunky, there are not that many option such as text scaling, and putting a list together with the app takes about as much time as using the point printouts and an excel spreadsheet. This is the No Mans Sky of List-builder Apps. Hopefully they continue to make some much needed QoL improvements.

3 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I’ll eventually play something other than quickbuild when I have time to print out the point costs and build lists by hand.

Oh boy, here we go again: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!191:-1,136,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;200:123,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;199:123,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;213:-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=#rebelContent

Excellent builder, allows for printouts, can save lists (third party login), adjust to your collection, and all sorts of things. Fortunately FFGs offering isn't the only one around.

1 hour ago, LordFajubi said:

I do not get the love for YASB. It’s ok but not the holy grail some of you say it is. Online, text based squad builders are not for me. That said there are a couple options to pick your poison so everyone can find a flavor they like.

Simple: It works. It does the job 1000 times better than FFGs app. And most importantly since it is web-based, it works on every platform, so when someone on this forum asks for a squad builder (or doesn't play properly because they don't know the alternatives to FFGs app), you can be 100% certain they will be able to use YASB2.0.

its puzzling why the app is so bad. seems to have been rushed out into the market. clearly FFG needed to invest more time and money into the app before launching it into the market.

the shabby development of the app has surely hurt the launch of 2.0. Maybe not the super fans of the game but new players should be apprehensive about throwing money into 2.0 until the app is actually worth using.

It seems like FFG is not aware of previous list builders and so did not learn from them and FFG just did what they wanted to do.  This feels like a first foray into online list building in 1.0, as if we've not had years and years of good list building apps/websites.

It's alright. It's not great, the UI's not brilliant, I'd like the option to have, say, stats and rule text printed out when I create a PDF of my list, and the lack of "duplicate this ship" is a bit of a pain, but it's... kind of ok-ish? Meeting my pretty low expectations?

7 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

its puzzling why the app is so bad. seems to have been rushed out into the market. clearly FFG needed to invest more time and money into the app before launching it into the market.

the shabby development of the app has surely hurt the launch of 2.0. Maybe not the super fans of the game but new players should be apprehensive about throwing money into 2.0 until the app is actually worth using.

Yeah, new players that can't know of the community build apps are a problem I'm running into more often.

tried again last night. thought it would save my list when I hit save squad button.

surprise, it didn't save anything.

abandoning it till they decide to make something that works.

YASB2 does everything right and prints lists great.

can't believe FFG F***KED up such a critical piece of the 2.0 release.

All we heard for months was the app will be great, yah right.

It's not terrible and I can build and save lists just fine. It definitely lacks features and could do with another UI/UX designer having a look at it. The always online requirement is annoying, but so far hasn't been a major issue, though I haven't yet had to use it at a tournament with dozens of people all using a FLGS wireless network.

2 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Because maybe FFG isn't used to software developing.  It can be pretty tricky when working with developers.  I have a soft spot for anyone that has to get anything done with them, especially on a schedule.  I think FFG set up the deadline for when things can happen and the software developers are just delayed.

=====

I ignored the app for a couple of weeks and then tried it for a solid week.  It was a bit clunky, too zoomed in, and had a few issues, but was workable.   Then, when I tried to look things up or see a ship dial, I was utterly frustrated.    

YASB is fine for a browser, but I like my phone apps with all the info.  I find I prefer LaunchBayNext for my list building.  

9 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

what are your experiences with the app?

I’ve tried it and abandoned it on iPhone and iPad.   So frustrating to use.

I’m now on Launch Bay Next (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/launch-bay-next/id1422488966?mt=8) which has just updated to include an iPad version.  It’s like night and day.  Simple and easy to use.  Constantly being improved.