MasterShake2

Y so serious?

Hi Master! I like the list and am curious about the one thing you mentioned: «you got to see it, to understand».

some photos where we can see some typical starting positions, or some «ideal» initial positions for the Y in the astroid field, where would you like your x-wings to be etc... 

That would help alot! Can you take the time to do that? 

I loved running Y wings in 1.0 and been really impressed in 2.0.  I tried your 43 point build and was really impressed.  

1x A-wing with proton rocket

1x Y-wing with Ion turret

1x Y-wing with proton torpedo and R4

2x X-wings

That Ywing rolls up in the second tier and can hit big while they deal with an a wing and ion turret up close.  The green turn out of a K turn to keep threatening shots is so good.  

On 10/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, darkflop said:

The Y-Wing has been my favourite ship since I started playing the game. I'm so glad to see there are more ways to play them now than just a turret carrier going in circles ?

I wonder if there could be a Scum equivalent to your list. ? There's nothing quite like Luke to sponge up incoming fire that I can immediately think of, but there must be something equally fun with a similar spirit...

Fang Fighters? Kihraxzs? 

Both die real easy...Vipers might pose a similar threat tho.  People either way waste resources trying to chase those dodgy snakes, probably giving time to let scummy Ys do their work?  For aces, Guri is beast.  You could maybe trade the other ace viper out for a Fang ace , or just stick with Dalen Viper.  Not sure for the second ace, I guess.

7 hours ago, BCvalor said:

Both die real easy...Vipers might pose a similar threat tho.  People either way waste resources trying to chase those dodgy snakes, probably giving time to let scummy Ys do their work?  For aces, Guri is beast.  You could maybe trade the other ace viper out for a Fang ace , or just stick with Dalen Viper.  Not sure for the second ace, I guess.

You can actually fit Guri and Talonbane Cobra with 2pts left for bid/upgrades!

I’ve been tinkering with various builds (Palob/4-LOM, 4-LOM/Cobra, Teroch/Serissu) and trying them out on FlyCasual to little success (mostly because I keep finding bugs that break the squad interactions I’m testing ?). 

I haven’t tried that one though ?

I would love to have more insights from @MasterShake2 on how to fly his squad and the ideal obstacle layout. I haven’t quite cracked how to fly it effectively. 

Edited by darkflop

On 9/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, MasterShake2 said:
Luke Skywalker — X-Wing 62
Servomotor S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 62

Wedge Antilles — X-Wing 52
Servomotor S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 52

Gray Squadron Bomber — Y-Wing 32
Proton Torpedoes 9
R4 Astromech 2
Ship Total: 43

Gray Squadron Bomber — Y-Wing 32
Proton Torpedoes 9
R4 Astromech 2
Ship Total: 43

I played the above list today and I really had a blast. I went 2-0 with it. I can't wait to get some more games in with it.

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

@MasterShake2

I tried it once and it's surprisingly strong. Those Y-Wings can take quite a beating. But I'm not convinced yet that it's stronger than Soontir Whisper Redline.

That's very much in line with my observations.  It's not a super crazy meta list, but it's way better than it looks and you could easily lose if you underestimate it.

Have you thought about replacing an X-wing with Lowhhrick?

The way I used Luke, I was doing frequent K-turns and Talon-rolls. He can easily do that because of the force tokens, but in the end they were often spent on defense. Wedge is a cheap and useful metacall. In that sense I'd rather replace Luke.

Adding Low would replace one 3attack ship with another one. Durability is similar if not better for Low. Most importantly you get 10 additional points.

One idea is to give hull/shield upgrades to the Ywings and Low. That increases their threshold to 5 damage and barely adds points on them, which is a good trade I think. Another alternative to spend the points is an R4 and Predator on Wedge, and Selfless on Low. And a third option I see is to load crew onto Low. Magva Yarro is an immediate idea, but I could also see Saw.

Or a combination of them, of course.

I played something very similar a few days ago, really enjoyed it (and won, losing only one bomber).

Wedge Antilles (52)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Servomotor S-foils (0)

“Dutch” Vander (42)
Expert Handling (2)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Gray Squadron Bomber (32)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R4 Astromech (2)

Gray Squadron Bomber (32)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R4 Astromech (2)

On 10/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, MasterShake2 said:

That's very much in line with my observations.  It's not a super crazy meta list, but it's way better than it looks and you could easily lose if you underestimate it.

I'm going to try it in a second ed only tournament on the weekend. The list is actually quite fun to play!

I played this variant the other day with success - went 2-0 (albeit not against top-tier lists and me flying Wedge poorly):

T-65 X-wing - •Wedge Antilles - 61
    •Wedge Antilles - Red Two (52)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - •“Dutch” Vander - 53
    •“Dutch” Vander - Gold Leader (42)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R4 Astromech (2)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gray Squadron Bomber - 43
    Gray Squadron Bomber - (32)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R4 Astromech (2)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gray Squadron Bomber - 43
    Gray Squadron Bomber - (32)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R4 Astromech (2)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Replacing Luke with Dutch reduces flexibility and late game manoeuvrability if/when Wedge goes down. But it means four ships with protons, and Dutch can hand Wedge a target lock meaning he should be able to double mod his two torpedoes.

I scattered asteroids around the centre about range 1.5 from each other. I place the two Grays at I2, so they go down early, which enabled me to influence where my opponent placed, and then put down Dutch and Wedge in response. The Grays I placed at about range 3 from one side of the board heading into the asteroid field, but leaving room for them to 2-turn away if necessary. I then placed Dutch and Wedge at least range 3 from the Grays. 

The plan was to bait the opponent into attacking Dutch and Wedge, who are the greater threat (Wedge with torpedoes is terrifying, so is usually target #1), rolling them forward slowly while the Grays flanked through the asteroid field at higher speed, looking for TLs and torp shots. In both games they got torps off around turn 3 or 4. Dutch moves a bit ahead of Wedge to hand him a TL. Tactic worked well both games.

I'm yet to master how to re-engage after the first pass, but as long as I have a TL, then a red K-turn with a Y-Wing to get a torpedo shot works fine. They don't have to be double modded to hit HARD. I tried to keep the Grays and Wedge + Dutch as separate elements that cover each other to prevent arc dodgers from avoiding all arcs. But I didn't fly against Soontir or Guri et al, so don't yet know how they'd go against them.

I definitely need more practise with this list, but I see potential. I'll be taking it to a tournament in a few weeks, and will report back on results.

I also welcome any tips on tactics.

Performance update on my list posted above. It has limitations that some lists and/or a skilled player will exploit mercilessly. 

In the last two days I've gone 3/3 with the list. It does well when I can lure them into a joust where the Grays can shoot on turn 2 or 3. The lure is Wedge. If they don't take the bait, if I stuff up my approach and the Grays don't get a TL, or if they have some way to nullify TLs (i.e. Kagi), then I'm stuffed.

I had a notable loss to another Rebel list with 3 X-wings with torps. The player simply outflew me on the approach and used his higher initiative pilots to erase a Gray in the joust while Wedge and Dutch were too far away. He then followed up by closing to range 1 of Wedge and Dutch. By the end he had taken out most of my ships, and I had only loosed 1 torp all game.

I had another notable total loss against a list with Kagi, who is a hard counter to this list. Kagi hung out in the corner, sucked up all the TLs, neutering the Grays and Dutch, and I just couldn't reach Kagi before Redline and Whisper had made a mess of my ships. My key mistake was to set up Wedge and Dutch on the opposite corner to Kagi. I should have set up opposite and run him down ASAP.

Also, Juke Phantoms and Defenders ruin Grays.

With more practise (and skill!) I could probably perform better, but I can't see this list being terribly competitive.

So yeah, I think @MasterShake2's original list is superior. Sure, a 4-ship torp joust is intimidating, but Y-Wings are too predictable, and the Grays are too low Initiative to reliably get the initial joust TLs they need. The 2 X-Wing & 2 Y-Wing gives the flexibility my list lacks.

I'd be interested in others' experience with similar lists.

I flew this yesterday against Ibtisam/Ten Numb (B-Wing) and Hera (Ghost). I immediately recognized by the mistakes I made how important using obstacles for that first engagement are, and  I should use the aces more aggressively to screen the advance of the Y-Wings, I guess. I still handily won the game with Wedge and one Y-Wing alive after trading Luke early for Ten Numb (absolutely right on that money). Will definitely try this again. Thanks!

On 10/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, MasterShake2 said:

1)  The Y-Wings always use the asteroid field as cover to prevent direct engagement.  It's kind of the opposite of what people expect since you don't usually see ordinance wielding generics going through rocks, but it makes it hard to directly confront them without limiting your own options and making you predictable i.e. easy to block and it also extends that 1 green die on the Y-Wings that much further.

Question about this. Do you fly THROUGH obstacles in your initial engagement? Or do you swerve?