smauel

Tie Defender Cost?

Not sure where to post this, so I am putting it in the Squad Builder as it relates to building a squad and the point values of ships. 

What in the world happened with the Tie Defender in 2nd Edition? It is one of the most expensive ships in the game now and seems way over priced for a small ship.  And don't say we added the boost ability.  The T-65 got the Tallon Roll and other move benefits, plus it has the same attack base and hit points and costs nearly half what a defender costs.  Other ships got similar upgrades without the price jump so this one doesn't make sense.

Heck you can even get a Ghost now for less then most of the Defenders.  4 Attacks and 14 hits with a turret on the Ghost, seems insane to price the Ghost that cheap when you compare it to a Defender.  You would have to make 4 perfect passes on the Ghost at Range 1 with a Defender and roll 100% hits to take it out, all while avoiding hits from the Ghost to stay alive.  Making it more real, you would really need to make 8 - 10 passes at the Ghost to take it out, all while it is throwing 4 to 5 dice minimum at you each time you are in its arc which with turrets is pretty easy to do.

Seems like most ship's cost simply doubled in 2.0 to focus on upgrades, but the Defenders went by 25 - 30%.  I know the focus is on flying now which I love and maybe that is the thinking, the Defender is so maneuverable that it should cost more because you can arc dodge better.  Seems like FFG designers took the same course with the Defenders as you did the E-Wing in V1, awesome ship but way over priced.  The problem is there is not much to fill the gap on the Empire's side like the T-65 on the Rebel side. 

This cost feels way unbalanced to the other ships that are in the same category in my opinion.  It is almost like FFG designers want to force empire pilots to fly swarms again.  The Defender used to be my favorite ship to fly and hoping that this gets adjusted in the app, right now it is out gunned consistently in each fight.  As it sits now flying two Defenders against 4 or 5 Rebel ships, or two Ghosts or two Shadow Casters doesn't bode well for the Empire.

Edited by smauel
grammar mistake

This would probably get more visibility if it were posted in the main forum, as you are referencing an aspect of the game and not a builder specific issue.

That being said, the Defender is my favorite fighter in Star Wars.  I don't really have the playtime experience to have any real input on the cost, but like you I do think it's on the high side.

10 hours ago, papy72 said:

This would probably get more visibility if it were posted in the main forum, as you are referencing an aspect of the game and not a builder specific issue.

That being said, the Defender is my favorite fighter in Star Wars.  I don't really have the playtime experience to have any real input on the cost, but like you I do think it's on the high side.

Perhaps it will be a fix in 2.5