Zeoinx

Waves of Obscure Ships? : From Armada

So someone in the armada forums mentioned having some random waves from comics, old EU, an other sources not that well known, What does the X-Wing community think about that. Some ships that pop to mind for me are the M-Class Starfighter, Tie Droid, Tie Commander.

350?cb=20060110071428

M-Class Starfighter

Is a unique vessel that was created using Old BTL Y-Wing Engines, a heavy laser cannon, and used on Hoth. The unique design is what really draws me to it and I think would look nice on the table top as a "Command" Bomber vessel. (Keep the command vessel idea in mind, it comes up again)

350?cb=20060219014445

Tie Droid

Tie Droid I'm sure most of you are aware of, especially if you played the classic Rogue Squadron game and made it to Mon Cal Mission where the World Devastators spit them out at the player via its automated factories inside. Highly maneuverable, lightly armed and completely defensless outside of it's speed and agility, these are the pinnacle of a disposable Tie Class Fighter.

tie_09_C7.JPG

Tie Commander

This is one that I am not 100% ever existed outside of a model that might have been scratch built via parts from what appears to be a Tie Interceptor, or a few Interceptors. That said, It looks pretty sweet in my eyes, and based on the name, I feel would work well as the lead tie of a large Imperial Squadron, such as the 501st, or 181st. One of the posters (@Geressen) In the armada topic, posted this pic of all (apparently) possible Tie Variants including all the Concept Ties.

twin_ion_engine_variants_by_marcusstarki

As you can see in the lower left area, has the Tie commander variant, not sure again if this is a real list, but the front profile is pretty nice to me, so i googled it, and the only image of it I was able to stumble upon is the one above.

I also gotta say I enjoy the idea of the Tie Interceptor scout (Bottom line) and Tie Seeker (Next to the commander). Tie Hellfire (2 above the commander) would be a interesting missile boat engaging ground based targets, simlar to an attack helicopter. though again, these are just based on how they look from the front. I do wonder what they all look like in full 3D.

Edited by Zeoinx

This looks quite neat, but as with a lot of the EU ships (looking at you Tie Avenger), the question is what is unique about them that will make them play different than the ships that we already have. All 3 of those ships you posted are well designed in my opinion, but I don't know if they would bring something to the table that's not already there beyond their look.

For example, what is so different about that M class that would make it feel different from the B-Wing or ARC-170?

5 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

This looks quite neat, but as with a lot of the EU ships (looking at you Tie Avenger), the question is what is unique about them that will make them play different than the ships that we already have. All 3 of those ships you posted are well designed in my opinion, but I don't know if they would bring something to the table that's not already there beyond their look.

For example, what is so different about that M class that would make it feel different from the B-Wing or ARC-170?

The M-Class actually would act more of a Command Vehicle (Similar to how the Imperial Shuttle works) and provide synergy between its "Squadron", I personally would like to see stronger ways to make a flight wing work better together in a tighter synergy. Do I personally have idea's on how that would work? Not balanced ones, and nothing worth typing because the lack of balance.

Tie Commander would act in a similar roll in the middle of a Tie Swarm, giving the Tie Swarm a bit more of a boost somehow, again, do I have ideas how, No. That's not the point of the topic, its to speculate on what ships we as the community LIKE visually at the very least, and if we have more in-depth idea, to share it.

Also, There is nothing wrong with overlapping rolls in a Table Top game, it gives us something to visually shake up the table's view. Just look at Warhammer 40k, How many variation's of Space Marines are there? I'm sure there are hundreds, if not millions of possible combinations, especially with the community painting skills (Generally speaking, they go overboard) So if we have 10 variations of the basic Tie Fighter by the end of the FFG X-Wing 2.0 visually, is it wrong? Well, no, not really, We already have 4 Basic Tie Fighter Variations, Tie Grey, Tie Blue, Tie Rebel, and Tie Scum. They are all basically the tie fighter, with the minor ability's that minor edits to each faction bring, but in realistic honestly, if you wanted to plop all 4 on Empire to give each pilot their own Visual Tie, I'm sure no-one would say "no". (And While 10 Tie Fighters variations might be a high number, It's just a exaggeration for effect)

Edited by Zeoinx

Oh look, speaking of obscure as **** vessels. 

latest?cb=20091027185459latest?cb=20080928011915

IF-120 landing craft, this thing looks pretty interesting, almost reminds me of a flying version of the AT AT Walker with an Armored Lambda's Cockpit. Maybe not necessarily for X-Wing, but Legion would sure look nice with this deploying Storm Troopers. I stumbled upon this ship while Googling for Comic Starwars Ships, and it took a LONG time to find it down the list.

latest?cb=20060720173614

Other Obscure ships I could think of are the Wookie Starfighter's seen in Galactic Battlegrounds Saga, though, if I were to be honest, they look like they were designed by Corellian Engineering Corp in a way.

And while we are in Galactic Battleground's....

latest?cb=20060715040152

for when the N1 is added for the Clone Wars faction, might as well add the bomber. (I vote for the middle Version of the Naboo Bomber, I feel it looks the best. The weird cockpit with connecting engine, and new engine placement being brought even CLOSER to the fuselage makes the over all vessel look fat and unruly to fly, something that in my eyes does not define the Naboo Ships.

While we are on the topic of new the clone wars factions, who here would be against going back a tad further for a small handful of vessels to get added for a "Jedi and Sith" Factions, such as the ToR Sith Fury

maxresdefault.jpg

or how bout the X-70B Phantom-class prototype

ryan-dening-03-veh-player-agent-exterior

34 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

There's a couple of EU ships I wouldn't mind, but I think the majority of new releases for the foreseeable future will be Resistance/First Order/Republic/CIS.

Might have to wait a while for the Skipray.

I personally feel I can live without any Resistance // First order content forever.

9 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

I personally feel I can live without any Resistance // First order content forever.

Yeah, you're not the only one.  OG Rebellion/Empire plus a side order of Scum for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing them across the table as fully-formed factions though.

47 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

I like having more factions, as it brings more variety. I am confident, assuming they lower the point costs of the Rebels to make them viable, that the OG trilogy factions will still make up well over half the players. I can't see many Resistance or CIS players coming at all.

So great idea and all.

Feel free to resurrect this thread in five or six years with an “I told you so.”

1 hour ago, Porkchop Express said:

I  can't see many Resistance or CIS players coming at all.

I’m way more excited for the Republic. My favorite ship has always been the ARC, and Clones are awesome.

But I’m also way more into the Resistance than the FO, and I do intend to get some CIS stuff. I wouldn’t write off entire factions yet if I were you. 

Edited by SpiderMana

14 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I'd love to see the Skipray Blastboat, and the Pursuer-class (Slave 2), but I doubt those will happen, along with the pantheon of ridiculously over-specialized TIE variants.

I love the Blastboat, one of my favorite ships in the Legends material. I don't think it will be in the game anytime soon though.

15 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I still want TIE Experimental M1-M5, along with a transport for controllers.

that and the Otana, YT2000 (and all the YT series, for Scum and Rebels, please... and the Stormtrooper Transport, and the ATRs...)

35 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

that and the Otana, YT2000 (and all the YT series, for Scum and Rebels, please... and the Stormtrooper Transport, and the ATRs...)

Now that there's a reload action, I also thought it'd be interesting to have one of the reload tugs, too.  Something weak-average, but adding a white Reload action to the action bars of ships within range 1, or something like that.

The Skipray is the ugliest piece of garbage EVAR.  I don't mind new ships, but please make them pretty ones.  Mandalorian Gauntlet fighters would be great (and they're already in Armada).  We need a TIE/rb (I think that's right - the one from Solo).  As far as more TIE variants go, I'm a bit over it.  I mean, how many do we need?  I know some will say "ALL OF THEM!" but really, we don't.  Maybe a Royal Guard Squint with force pilots and maybe a special rule for them (but not required) would be a nice addition and keeps a red Imperial fighter in the game.  Many of the ships out now are pretty obscure as is - plumbing the depths of the universe may not really be necessary.

How about:

Tie/rb, the ship that was concepted for Solo a while back? I dont think it was seen on screen. Apparently it had a souped up gun battery that pivots (Back arc?), extra armor and some electronics/droid upgrades. It could be a mid-price Tie with 4 hull, slightly slower dial, a cannon slot, system slot but only 2 base dice.

Tie Breacher, a 3-pod tie with outward angled wings? Basically a cross between a Tie-D and a Tie-bomber. It could have a fairly traditional dial, with a cannon slot and 2 missile slots.

The last ship I'm really itching for isn't exactly obscure at this point, so most of these would still take a back seat to that one for me, but I'm definitely up for some more obscure ones in the long run.

It's funny that the Raven's Claw got brought up here, as I just thought about it for the first time in a long while the other day. Back in the day, I never accepted it as a replacement for the Moldy Crow (though I don't remember realizing how similar the front of the ships are), but something occurred to me that sort of made me want it. With there no longer being Kyle or Jan crew cards, the only way to fly them together is have them both being in HWKs, which just seems silly to me. I thought the Raven's Claw would be a way to have both of them in a list again without being redundant (even if it still wouldn't actually fit their story).

(Of course, the same reason there aren't crew cards for them anymore is the same reason we'd probably never see the Raven's Claw at this point, but this is a topic about unlikely ships and I'm not against that.)

Edited by Jokubas