Turtlefan2082

Invocation 2018

Well, Invocation has been announced, as well a a list of participating stores has been published.  This year's goodies include: 

•the player mat

•a set of custom card dividers themed around the player card classes

•The Eternal Slumber scenario pack

•extended art copies of Lucky (Level 0 and Level 2)

I'm a little disappointed that we aren't getting another alt art investigator, but we are getting a scenario this year.  I don't know how I feel about the dividers.

Disappointing that the alt art cards are the same as the GenCon ones.

The dividers... meh.  At least with investigator cards you won't have the same issue you do with the encounter sets being too small, but the height won't work for anything but their stupidly oversized boxes.

The mat's nice enough at least, if a little bright for my personal taste.

Link

So if you get The Endless Slumber at one of these, will you later be able to get The Night's Usurper separately, or do you just have to buy it again with the full Guardians of the Abyss?  (that's rhetorical, I don't expect anyone to know).

1 minute ago, Assussanni said:

If you don’t have any other use for them you could always put them behind Lola’s investigator card to mark her current role...

Good idea, though it raises the question: is there a divider for the neutral investigator(s)?

1 minute ago, CSerpent said:

Good idea, though it raises the question: is there a divider for the neutral investigator(s)?

If they are intended as dividers for the player cards it would seem like quite an oversight to not have a Neutral divider. So, maybe? ?

6 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

Link

So if you get The Endless Slumber at one of these, will you later be able to get The Night's Usurper separately, or do you just have to buy it again with the full Guardians of the Abyss?  (that's rhetorical, I don't expect anyone to know).

Nothing I’ve seen so far has indicated that The Night’s Usurper will be available separately but it would seem a little odd, not to mention wasteful, if that is the case.

2 hours ago, Assussanni said:

Nothing I’ve seen so far has indicated that The Night’s Usurper will be available separately but it would seem a little odd, not to mention wasteful, if that is the case.

The number of copies given out at the various events is probably fairly small compared to the overall print run.  When compared to the overhead of another SKU - both for FFG to produce and stores to stock on shelves - the duplicate purchase for some of us is pretty minor.

Do we have any confirmation if the dividers are a full set, or just the two pictured (would be an odd choice to just be the Mystic & Survivor, but then why not show them all if you get them all?)

Article says “a stylish set of card dividers” so *sounds* like a full set...

53 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

The number of copies given out at the various events is probably fairly small compared to the overall print run.  When compared to the overhead of another SKU - both for FFG to produce and stores to stock on shelves - the duplicate purchase for some of us is pretty minor.

I'm annoyed the have to purchase it twice... But I'll just look at it as buying the play mat and dividers.

1 hour ago, Kevling said:

Do we have any confirmation if the dividers are a full set, or just the two pictured (would be an odd choice to just be the Mystic & Survivor, but then why not show them all if you get them all?)

Article says “a stylish set of card dividers” so *sounds* like a full set...

There's a possibility based on the dividers that they'll run 2 Events, one for each scenario, negating the need to re-purchase Slumber and netting you the full set of dividers if they give out the rest as swag for the second event.

2 hours ago, Network57 said:

There's a possibility based on the dividers that they'll run 2 Events, one for each scenario, negating the need to re-purchase Slumber and netting you the full set of dividers if they give out the rest as swag for the second event.

They are, it’s called Arkham Nights. 

7 hours ago, CSerpent said:

So if you get The Endless Slumber at one of these, will you later be able to get The Night's Usurper separately, or do you just have to buy it again with the full Guardians of the Abyss?

The Night's Usurper will be available at Arkham Nights this year, check out this article...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-eternal-slumber/

Based on the description (and price) on the website where you purchase tickets (pasted below) for Arkham Nights, it would appear that both events will be held at the same time in Roseville, MN on 19 & 20 October. If you do not live in Minnesota, or cannot attend Arkham Nights, I am assuming (based on everything I have read) that you will not be able to get The Nights Usurper on its own and will have to wait until Guardians of the Abyss is released.

https://www.showclix.com/event/arkham-nights-2018

13 minutes ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

The Night's Usurper will be available at Arkham Nights this year, check out this article...

Based on the description (and price) on the website where you purchase tickets (pasted below) for Arkham Nights, it would appear that both events will be held at the same time in Roseville, MN on 19 & 20 October. If you do not live in Minnesota, or cannot attend Arkham Nights, I am assuming (based on everything I have read) that you will not be able to get The Nights Usurper on its own and will have to wait until Guardians of the Abyss is released.

I know that listing says Invocation Event, but there is an absence of a mention of the Usurper's event other than including the scenario as the other swag available. Maybe it's an oversight, or they consider the Usurper's Event ALSO as an invocation event (and therfore it would be the only one). It'd be nice to be able to get both scenarios in one spot at Arkham Nights, but I'm not 100% sure that is happening. Luckily, I'm going and will find out. I just won't get my hopes up until I have confirmation.

Edited by Soakman

2 hours ago, LabanShrewsbury said:

Part of me thinks this is a bit of a scam, and part of me realizes that Arkham Horror the Card Game is still relatively young.  FFG is still figuring things out as far as supporting Gen Con, running Arkham Nights and Supporting game stores through organized play events.  I can see next year's event being one part in a three part mini campaign, or at the very least going back to having one scenario for all three events.

1 hour ago, Network57 said:

OK, fine, but how about the 99.9% of the population that doesn't live in Minneapolis?

Maybe you can connect with others online who went to the one you didn't and one of you can sell your copy to the other so only one of you has to buy the retail version.

13 hours ago, sabrjay said:

So Innvocation is part of Arkham Nights event at the FFG center?

hey @sabrjay, no, it's not. Invocation Kits are kits game shops can buy to host their own events, where they then sell tickets to players, who get various pieces of swag as a result - this year it's a play mat, a scenario, some alt art cards and some card dividers. 

Arkham Nights US is a weekend long event celebrating all of FFG's Arkham Files games where attendees get lots of game time, meetings with the developers and other perks, as well as access to a scenario well ahead of everyone else. 

For anyone in the UK, please update in this thread if/when your LGS gets their kit, or at least a firm date. I've spoken to Fanboy Three in Manchester, and they're currently waiting to hear from the distributor (which I would assume is Asmodee/Esdevium).

7 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

hey @sabrjay, no, it's not. Invocation Kits are kits game shops can buy to host their own events, where they then sell tickets to players, who get various pieces of swag as a result - this year it's a play mat, a scenario, some alt art cards and some card dividers. 

Arkham Nights US is a weekend long event celebrating all of FFG's Arkham Files games where attendees get lots of game time, meetings with the developers and other perks, as well as access to a scenario well ahead of everyone else. 

All of this is true.

However, "Invocation 2018" is listed as one of the events at Arkham Nights this year, so the answer to sabrjay's question is technically "yes"...  although Invocation is a separate event normally, it is also part of Arkham Nights 2018. 

7 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

7 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

All of this is true.

However, "Invocation 2018" is listed as one of the events at Arkham Nights this year, so the answer to sabrjay's question is technically "yes"...  although Invocation is a separate event normally, it is also part of Arkham Nights 2018. 

It's actually only Friday (starting at 4PM) and Saturday (all day).  Which is a bummer.  That said, if you bring your own copies, nothing stops you from showing up on Sunday and playing more.

4 hours ago, Duciris said:

It's actually only Friday (starting at 4PM) and Saturday (all day).  Which is a bummer.  That said, if you bring your own copies, nothing stops you from showing up on Sunday and playing more.

This is my 4th year going, and the day-and-a-half length of Arkham Nights has always felt about right to me.  I always find myself thinking "It's over already?", but in retrospect I think another day would feel a bit long for a pretty small event.

5 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

This is my 4th year going, and the day-and-a-half length of Arkham Nights has always felt about right to me.  I always find myself thinking "It's over already?", but in retrospect I think another day would feel a bit long for a pretty small event.

This will be my first time going even though I only live 30 minutes away, so I've been to the event center many times.  The reason I'm going this year is that I sold my copy of Gloomhaven because it just wasn't the solo game I was looking for. I bought AN:TCG and feel in love with it as a solo game. It's a theme I love, with good depth with being so fiddly. The fiddliness of Gloomhaven is what cooled me on the game. Along with the fact that the classes I really wanted to play are terrible as starting classes.