Sign in to follow this  
Rouxxor

The Ghost of Framsburg

57 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Dain Ironfoot defending for up to *6* out of the gate in spirit?  Wow.

Would he not be 4 defense up to 3 times in a round?

ok I get it.   Never mind haha

Edited by Ywingscum

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

Dain Ironfoot defending for up to *6* out of the gate in spirit?  Wow.

Not to mention the possibility of getting a hidden cache and a couple free ered luin miners at the same time. This guy is bonkers! 

And I can see that warrior sword becoming a staple in dunedain decks. 

Edited by stimpaksam

15 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Anybody think it's weird that Man the Walls says "cannot quest" as opposed to "cannot commit to a quest?" The intention is clear, but the terminology is less than professional.

That phrasing has been used since at least Galadriel.

2 hours ago, monkeyrama said:

So happy to see flat flexible and good weapon attachment. A minimum of +1 attack in normal circumstances. So good. 

Plus it goes on allies and heroes. Great in a Dale deck, but useful in other decks like Tactics/Lore trap decks or as stimpaksam mentioned dunedain. 

The song could be really good with an Eomer/Firefoot trample build. 

Personaly not in love with mining archetype but a new dain hero who does not synergize with dwarf at all is a nice variant. He bring also something different that in spirit is not standard. Spirit Beregond is still your defender to go in sphare but dain seems flexible and fun enough to see some serious play. Let's see if the developers bring in some new strong discarding effect bringing the whole discard mechanic to the next level.

Spirit Beregond has the advantage of Sentinel, but being able to defend for six without help makes Dain better IMO for a single deck, especially with Noldor/mining that doesn't mind discarding.  Beregond does have the threat reduction, but there's plenty of threat reduction available in spirit.

I like the spoiled tactics cards.  Attachments on allies are great, and +1 to +3 attack is fantastic for non-ranged characters for one cost -- and tactics *or* warriors makes it fit a large number of allies.

Swift and Strong is lovely too -- for the low cost of exhausting a weapon and 1 cost, you can ready again *and* get +2 attack.  Powerful.

In the spread are a couple player cards that we don't get a separate picture  We don't see what the cost discount is on Man the Walls, but the inability to quest first turn isn't much of a downside.  This card should go really well in Ent decks using Leadership Faramir!

Valiant Determination could be great for expensive allies with well-rounded stats.  Faramir can boost himself with it.  But I think it would go especially well on Guardian of Esgaroth.

Mirkwood Hunter is interesting, but I can't imagine would be popular outside the yet-unborn Woodmen deck.

Thinking about some allies that could especially benefit from Valiant Determination:

Wellinghall Preserver (sort of) -- a 3 willpower ally, but actually makes a fine self-healing defender with A Burning Brand.  Downside -- since its healing is connected with readying, won't actually heal unless it attacks/defend

Gildor Inglorion -- with 3 willpower and decent combat stats I rarely have used his action, but with this attachment he can use his action repeatedly.

Tactics Bofur -- only two willpower, but being able to use his action repeatedly after questing (if not used for combat) could draw out your weapons/armor quickly.

Mirkwood Explorer -- Mirkwood explorer gets his progress tokens from questing successfully, but has to exhaust in order to spend them.  With this he could do both on the same turn.

Just now, dalestephenson said:

I don't think Valiant Determination it would work anymore after Sword-Thaining because the text says "Attached ally does not exhaust to quest".  If it said attach to an ally, but attached character does not exhaust to a quest, then it would continue working.

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Spirit Beregond has the advantage of Sentinel, but being able to defend for six without help makes Dain better IMO for a single deck, especially with Noldor/mining that doesn't mind discarding.  Beregond does have the threat reduction, but there's plenty of threat reduction available in spirit

I agree that in solo dain gains value compared to Beregond. Especially if no tactic access is available to gondorian shield him. Dain is more flexible too as he can attack for 2 when needed. And yes, defend for 6 out of the gate at the cost of something (discarding) which could turn into an upside you  build around it. However the cost of repetebly  discarding can be taxing on the long run. At least he is in spirit so I guess it means includong will of the West x 2/3 copies to counter the card trashing. I cannot wait to try him in a deck and see what he bring on the table. I think he would work very well in a spirit/leadership deck to maximize his dwarf trait with king under mountain, shield and the other leadership dwarf goodies 

6 hours ago, NathanH said:

That phrasing has been used since at least Galadriel.

Huh. Good call. This must be the first time it's stood out to me for some reason. :wacko:

2 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

Now we need a card that says 'when this card is discarded from the top of your deck, shuffle your discard pile back into your deck.' Then break the game with it!

No thank you! :D