gadwag

PSA: Cheap card storage option

GOOD GRIEF there are a lot of cards in the conversion kits. If you need a place to store them in bulk, try this:

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/660-card-storage-box

You can buy boxes of varying sizes from these guys for very very low prices. Won't work for me due to exorbitant international shipping prices, but hopefully US players find this useful.

I'm just getting a 3" binder and throwing them in there. I am disappointed there isn't much in the way of threat cards in the conversion kits. I was planning on organizing all the cards in their prebuilds since the App is going to have all the rules.

30 minutes ago, gadwag said:

I'm using a similar solution with cardboard dividers between card types

Yeah, my plan is to just get some dividers set up. Should see if I can find some cardstock I can get printed or something, and just put the ship or upgrade icon on the upgrade tab...

I've been using these since 1.0 days. Little cardboard dividers to separate and organize. It looks to be better still in 2.0 storage since all the cards are the same size and I don't need to split dividers down the middle of the box for upgrades. Much faster and easier than a binder, but not as showy, clearly.

Yes, it's what I was planning on getting but in the end I found that I had an expansion box for Legendary Encounters that fits two rows of cards in it and so can have all the upgrades running down one side of the box and all the pilots down the other with a TON of room left for more expansions. I hacked some dividers together from spare card and Bob's your uncle.

I think this is how I'm gonna roll, with card boxes. I'll probably get some of the 3D printed card dividers that show that upgrade logo on each one to use to seperate them out. In 1.0 I use binders for cards, coin pages with square pockets that ship tokens, and coin capsule pages to hold dials, but I don't see the point in going all-out with a storage solution for 2.0. I've still got bags of 1.0 cards that I never sorted into their correct spot in my binders (separated by upgrade type and then alphabetically) and it will be nice to not worry about that for 2.0. Makes it easier to store all the 2.0 stuff whenever 3.0 comes along too. 

I'm EXTRA cheap and so went to the jewelry section of a department store and picked up a few small boxes for free.  The cardboard over-pack boxes for rings work well for storing ships as well. 

I picked up the 800 card box during my tournament on Saturday.  It fit all the upgrade cards from 3 conversion kits and with tons of room to spare.  Now I intend to transfer my pilots over to it and get rid of my binder.

I think the box cost $2.50 from my FLGS.

Edited by Phelan Boots

3 hours ago, BDrafty said:

I'm EXTRA cheap and so went to the jewelry section of a department store and picked up a few small boxes for free.  The cardboard over-pack boxes for rings work well for storing ships as well. 

I'm trying to imagine the influx of X-Wingers going into jewelry sections now:

"Good evening sir, looking for a nice gift for your special someone?"

"Hah, no. I'm a gamer, I just want free boxes for my tiny toy spaceships."

"...oh.......I see..."

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

32 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I'm trying to imagine the influx of X-Wingers going into jewelry sections now:

"Good evening sir, looking for a nice gift for your special someone?"

"Hah, no. I'm a gamer, I just want free boxes for my tiny toy spaceships."

"...oh.......I see..."

I told my future wife that I'd propose to her all over again...for another box to put more x-wing stuff in. She didn't think it was as funny as I did.

Growing up, I kept cards in the boxes that big blocks of cream cheese come in. The boxes for one-pound blocks of Velveeta and the like work too. 

The only real challenge is that you can't always make the lids useful unless the box is pretty full. The price is right, though.

7 hours ago, BDrafty said:

Jewelry boxes have been my go to for damage decks for years. Fit perfectly in them. Also go to a craft store, ie hobby lobby or micheals, you get a 3 pack of boxes for a buck or 2. Your gf/wives must be really happy if you buy jewelry just for boxes.

Edited by LordFajubi

A version 1 card in a plastic sleeve with a tape tab is a cheap divider between types. That's how my Babylon 5 ccg cards are organized. Any shop that sells Magic should have some of these. I also use some for ships, mainly Armada ships.

My Imperial small ships are in a Plano deep 3700 that fits in my knapsack to walk to my FLGS. I'm thinking a second one for Rebels and just move the damage deck and movement templates between the two. I have a similar one for my Armada upgrade cards.

3 hours ago, Naechtweard said:

Growing up, I kept cards in the boxes that big blocks of cream cheese come in. The boxes for one-pound blocks of Velveeta and the like work too. 

The only real challenge is that you can't always make the lids useful unless the box is pretty full. The price is right, though.

My god, only gamers would feel like spending $35 on a loaf of cream cheese (4,656 calories or 256g of Saturated Fat) is a wise investment.

For $1.50 you can get a clean cardboard longbox from any gaming store that stores over 800 cards...

Heh. I grew up with a family catering business that involved making dozens and dozens of cheesecakes every holiday season. I can't remember ever buying a big block of cream cheese for myself. And I can't imagine buying a block just to get a box for cards. I just happened to have the boxes around all the time growing up and still have some kicking around. They're the right size.

I do live in queso country these days, though, so boxes for blocks of processed cheese product appear in my life more than I'd like.

Edited by Naechtweard

Why?  If the cards are in sleeves, they'll still just get jostled around and wear down your sleeves and look scratched.  Might be worse if unsleeved.  Either way, you'll be pulling multiple cards out just to find a card or two.  Both scenarios (jostled, card selection) avoided if cards are in a binder, although more expensive, I'm sure.

My local game store owner has a laser cutter and made me a box for my cards.  He still needs to make the lid, which is the downside of having him do it (it's on his schedule).  I also have some of those card boxes they gave out as prizes in the first few waves.  The only problem is that with all cards going full sized I needed more.  

I've used the box with dividers for a couple of games now and I'm liking it. Feels a bit faster to find things and put them away in general. The exception is if you have a big section, like I have all of my talents in one section. For that case it can take longer than I'd like to find a card. I probably just need to sub-divide the talents somehow (probably alphabetically, like A-E in one section and so on). Aside from that though, I'm liking it so far. 

CardStorage-Reduced.thumb.jpg.dfc4c0f2c4c2ffa3e32f473231009939.jpg

I bought an Ultimate Guard card binder (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6TH1FE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a bunch of pages (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS0ZL9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they're great. 

I just order pilots by faction, then ship (alphabetically), then generics from uniques, then in order of Initiative (as it always must be.) Then I sort out the upgrades by type, then alphabetically.

The only downside is that the card slots aren't big enough for the cards in FFG's suggested sleeve. So I ask you all: do you think a guy really needs sleeves for his cards, or at least the ones he uses frequently?

Edited by StriderZessei