Sign in to follow this  
Fauste

On The Table: Scout Troopers and Sonic Charge Help

On the Table News:

On the Table's look at the Imperial Scout Trooper is up: On The Table: Imperial Scout Troopers

We're just starting up as a channel and are looking to make more Star Wars Legion videos, so any requests for things you would like to see wor feedback that you have will be taken to heart.

Scout Trooper Help?

After messing around with Scout Troopers for a little bit, I've really come to appreciate their low-profile and two black dice for offense. However, I can sometimes struggle with the Sonic Charges. It almost feels like I have to take at least 2 sonic charge saboteurs to fully maximize that ability, like a full squad and a detonator strike team. What are people doing/planning to do with them?

A squad of scouts could take advantage of New Ways to motivate them. Give them the action to throw a charge, back up, and detonate. Or just move up, throw the charge, and move back to safety. 

An HQ uplink could make it easier to accomplish depending on your list. 

5 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

A squad of scouts could take advantage of New Ways to motivate them. Give them the action to throw a charge, back up, and detonate. Or just move up, throw the charge, and move back to safety. 

An HQ uplink could make it easier to accomplish depending on your list. 

Detonate isn't an action, but rather triggers after either player takes an action. Both of your scenarios could include the detonate, the first would just have another action still :)

10 hours ago, crx3800 said:

Yep. I goofed. But you could drop one, move to safety and perhaps do something else (Dodge, shoot)

How do you get three actions?

"Arm X" is an action (p.13) 

"Detonate X" is a non-action (p.27) where you interrupt the sequence of play after a unit performs an action.

So, you could Arm a sonic charge. Move your Scouts, and then after performing their second action (the Move) detonate the charge you just deployed. But you couldn't Arm, Move then Dodge (etc) because that is a third action. 

3 hours ago, crx3800 said:

The third action was part of my suggestion to combo the scout team with "New Ways to Motivate them." 

Sacrifice a trooper (wound) to get that third action. 

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

New ways to motivate them.

Sorry lads, had missed that.

A most useful combo there would be when you find your Scouts at range 1 of an enemy: Arm, Shoot (up to 10 black dice!), NWTMT, Move-detonate (red, black, suppressive).

That would maul your target - and if they survive have 3 suppression tokens. Better yet, position the charge to catch the one squad member completely out of LoS of the squad - so if 10 black defeats all the rest, you can still wipe out the whole squad. 

Edited by Jedirev