Jump to content
Comte Oseric

Any ways to make e-wing less ''mehhh'' in V2.0?

Recommended Posts

Probably a terrible squad...haven't had a chance to put it on the table yet, but something I was playing around with for casual gaming:

"Buddy Cops"

E-wing - Corran Horn - 108
    •Corran Horn - Tenacious Investigator (74)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R2-D2 (8)
        Afterburners (8)

E-wing - Gavin Darklighter - 92
    •Gavin Darklighter - Bold Wingman (68)
        Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R3 Astromech (3)
        Afterburners (8)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by Piscopas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

It seems like a good platform for Outmaneuver, R4, and Advanced Sensors.  Get a TL on opening maneuvers and be unpredictable as **** after that.

What about Daredevil?  Adds significantly to their unpredictability, and if you’re using it after closing to attack range then you already have your target lock (and possibly couldn’t take another anyway) so the red doesn’t matter too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I... don’t know what this means.  That’s a good statline, it just need to be appropriately costed.

Better to just take a b-wing or xwing and save 20pts. No point in having 3 green dice if your linked actions are target locks. Its a waste of a good statline to just be tossing naked green dice. You are either doing one maneuver and focusing (in which case a bwing or xwing would be cheaper) or linked action into a lock and getting demolished by enemy attacks. 

Corran is the only usable Ewing (again), just because he is I5 and arc dodging is the only defense these point monsters have to protect themselves.

Ugh, Ewings are so overcosted. Luke with Supernatural reflexes is same cost as naked Corran.

Corran Horn (74)

Luke Skywalker (62)
Supernatural Reflexes (12)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

What about Daredevil?  Adds significantly to their unpredictability, and if you’re using it after closing to attack range then you already have your target lock (and possibly couldn’t take another anyway) so the red doesn’t matter too much.

Daredevil would be good, too.  Especially with all those blue maneuvers from the R4.  And the beauty of Advanced Sensors, is you don’t need to give a crap about linked Target Lock actions once you get in close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

Daredevil would be good, too.  Especially with all those blue maneuvers from the R4.  And the beauty of Advanced Sensors, is you don’t need to give a crap about linked Target Lock actions once you get in close.

I was just starting to think this looked like a really fun way to fly Corran. Unfortunately loading two I4 generics this way only leaves 20 pts for a third ship, assuming you give them missiles (and I think I put afterburners in there too, which isn't necessary.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chopper+Colission Detector is an R5 for shields for 2 points more, (costs an action, doesnt disable your guns) and can spend charges actually, you know, avoiding colisions. Also has additional utility when combined with Elusiveless (Gonk with a maneuver requirement), torps (more charges), or stealth device (2 shields to restore stealth).

Edited by Rakaydos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Chopper+Colission Detector is an R5 for shields for 2 points more, (costs an action, doesnt disable your guns) and can spend charges actually, you know, avoiding colisions. Also has additional utility when combined with Elusiveless (Gonk with a maneuver requirement), torps (more charges), or stealth device (2 shields to restore stealth).

I tried Corran with Chopper and Stealth Device... unfortunately if you take more than one hit you're screwed on being able to restore the device. I did goof the one time I actually flew it, and didn't have Elusiveness, but that does give you the room to recharge your shields too, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

I tried Corran with Chopper and Stealth Device... unfortunately if you take more than one hit you're screwed on being able to restore the device. I did goof the one time I actually flew it, and didn't have Elusiveness, but that does give you the room to recharge your shields too, at least.

Yea, Chopper+stealth, alone, isnt worth it, you need some way to actually use chopper as a regen droid as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Someone pointed out the Punisher has the same linked action, boost into lock. However there, it makes more sense. Not totally useless. In fact on Deathrain I could even see it being good.

 

I agree. Punisher can boost out of range into a target lock, munitions shot. E-Wing doesn't need to boost into range because its target lock is beyond range 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

As @Dreadai already pointed out, boosting away and getting the target lock back for your next run doesn’t sound bad at all. Even makes it less necessary to bring FCS, if you’re making runs instead of trying to stay in the fight the whole time. I’m very interested in trying this out.

But then the E-Wing is out of the fight for far too long. A turn of boosting away/target lock. Then a turn of clearing stress. Then probably a K-Turn. Then another turn of clearing stress before attacking again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think E-Wing suffers from lack of actions..... so my squad would be Corran, Luke and Ap-5.

Something like:

Corran Horn: Predator, FCS, R4, Proton Torps

Luke Skywalker: Proton Torps, R2

AP-5: R4 (white reverse - yes please :-) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really simple - this ships is HUGELY overcosted, around 8-10 points. Also it got the worst linked action in the game - borderline useless.
Unless it gets major overhaul or drastic point reduction there is no point fielding it.
The only saving grace in current form could be some new system slot and astromech upgrade card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the obvious price-cut, what it needs more than anything is survivability. Unlike the Defender (who can get focus+evade reliably almost every turn) it dies way to quickly for its price-point.

I could imagine them getting a way to utilize there target-looks for defense, something akin to the 1.0 R7-Astromech or M9-G8.      

Edited by Duskwalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried Gavin a couple of times, and his ability really makes a difference, especially against unshield Imperials. Trouble is, he really wants to be in a list full of generics, but he's so expensive he makes up half the list. If this guy were in a Headhunter, or even an X-Wing, he'd be a tournament staple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

But then the E-Wing is out of the fight for far too long. A turn of boosting away/target lock. Then a turn of clearing stress. Then probably a K-Turn. Then another turn of clearing stress before attacking again.

It’s one turn out of combat if you plan your entry and exit points well.

Even then only if you spend your TL. Add an R4 and you engage, then 3 bank /5 straight away, into a boost/TL. Clear stress with a green 2 turn and a boost brings you right back into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I was just starting to think this looked like a really fun way to fly Corran. Unfortunately loading two I4 generics this way only leaves 20 pts for a third ship, assuming you give them missiles (and I think I put afterburners in there too, which isn't necessary.)

If you just go with the two Rogues, with Daredevil + Adv Sensors + R4, you can cram a Red Squadron X-Wing veteran in there with... 5 points of whatever you want to give him.  

 

E-Wings fall into a category I’ve begun to call the “Bugatti fighters”.  Like jousters, arc-dodgers, turrets, bombers, etc, the bugattis are a breed of high-performance and exceptionally expensive ships.  They’re amazing, have phenomenal stats, a good dial with plenty of tricks, and (*ahem) the sensors upgrade.  This drives the points sky-high if you take everything you want.  And running them cheap enough to have more than 2 can be a challenge due to desired upgrades, or simply the base cost of the ship.  But by their nature they tend to be difficult to pin down, a bit squirrely, and not exactly a jouster or an arc-dodger.  

 

So far I’ve decided that the E-Wing, Tie Defender, and Starviper fit this classification in my head.  They’re too expensive to joust with in a dedicated fashion.  Tough enough to not have to arc-dodge all the time.  Fast and maneuverable enough to keep your opponent on their toes.  And bloody expensive as ****, like a ******ed Bugatti.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogues with Daredevil, Advanced Sensors and R4 are really fun. 

I'm not necessarily saying good, but surely at the very least 'fun' is still better than 'mehhh', right? 

I always wanted Daredevil to work on literally anyone who wasn't Tycho, and for casual games I've finally got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a terrible idea, but the E-Wing would love it:

Single-Minded (Talent)

When you would perform a (target lock action), if you already have a target locked, you must perform a (focus action) of the same difficulty instead.

Sure, you get to focus action instead of target locking, but you can no longer change your target lock unless you spend it.  Played poorly, it could actually be a trap card for E-Wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

This might be a terrible idea, but the E-Wing would love it:

Single-Minded (Talent)

When you would perform a (target lock action), if you already have a target locked, you must perform a (focus action) of the same difficulty instead.

Sure, you get to focus action instead of target locking, but you can no longer change your target lock unless you spend it.  Played poorly, it could actually be a trap card for E-Wings.

Yassss Boots, Yasssss. Definitely would become a 1-2pt title though. That'd be dangerous on a Punisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Giledhil said:

Not really the stress and Composure happen at the same timing : "after you failed the action". So the player gets to choose the order. Then Focus before stress.

This is false and needs to stop being repeated. Look in the rules reference under "Ability Queue". Specifically, where it says:

 

"If there are game effects that share the same timing window as a player’s ability, the game effect is resolved first.

◊ For example, if a ship performs a red barrel roll and the ship has an ability that triggers after it performs a barrel roll, the ship gains a stress token before the other ability is resolved."

 

So, you perform the linked red action, fail it. Two effects trigger: the game effect of gaining a stress token from a red action, and the player ability of Composure. Game effect goes first.

Edited by Vedrial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...