Tobl

Suggestion: We should allow (some) proxies in tournaments

Specifically, we should allow proxies if and only if the card has not been released in any product associated with the player's faction.

Right now, the affected cards would be:

Rebels:

• Barrage Rockets
  • Maul
  • Composure
  • Agile Gunner

Empire:

• 0-0-0
  • BT-1
  • Composure
  • Agile Gunner

Scum:

• Barrage Rockets
  • Moldy Crow

Rationale:

We all know that FFG never said that they would release all cards for all factions at the same time, only at some point. However, they did state that one of their goals for second edition was, that you wouldn't need to buy outside of your faction anymore. Countless examples in 1.0 have shown that tournament players cannot wait for cards to show up in their faction eventually, most prominently Autothrusters. So right now, if a rebel player needs Barrage Rockets for their list, FFG are not achieving what they set out to do.

In the long term, FFG will not lose sales this way, since people have to buy them as soon as they show up in an expansion of their faction (unless you want to suggest that FFG wants players to buy outside their faction after all). However, this will also correct a perverse incentive that FFG has at the moment. If we don't allow proxies, FFG is incentivized to pre-release new upgrades in a single faction as often as possible, because some players will buy cross-faction to get them. If we do allow them otoh, FFG will be incentivized to release them across the board as soon as possible, so that players have to buy the expansion to get them instead of proxying.

So, I suggest that we allow these proxies in any unofficial tournaments and ask FFG to implement the same for official tournaments in keeping with their stated goals.

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I mean, you should always allow UPGRADE card proxies at local level events

Can't imagine what kind of community wouldn't allow such a thing outside sanctioned tournaments

I've played at local events before that wanted to stick with the official tournament rules, i.e. no proxies. And there's also bigger events that are not officially sanctioned. (I'm not in the US, so didn't follow it too closely, but for example I believe the Mynock Open will be rather large and unofficial?)

But the biggest challenge is definitely official tournaments.

20 minutes ago, Zircon said:

Canadian National last year...  my opponent had an EXPERTISE drawn by hand!  Was great!  I loved it!  (and no ''real-FFG'' Expertise to back it up)

Its a game.  Just pew pew.    

Found/drew one for you ;)

Expertise.png.d67689dd86197011124c4503a1e6faac.png

Edited by puntspeedchunk

Not sure what your community is like, but borrow.

Any official tournament I probably lend out 4-5 different things. It's about people being confident what's on the table is accurate and I can understand that.

Our local group is very happy to share if you do not have an upgrade you need, I am sure most are.

What is the point of conversion kits if they do not include all of wave 1 content?  Seems to me to be false advertising.  For instance, composer is ONLY in Scum YT-1300.  Why?

On the Box

Upgrade your Rebel ship collection from the First Edition to the Second Edition of Star Wars: X-Wing

Same for the other factions.  It certainly doesn't achieve that.

Edited by Lace Jetstreamer

4 hours ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

What is the point of conversion kits if they do not include all of wave 1 content?  Seems to me to be false advertising.  For instance, composer is ONLY in Scum YT-1300.  Why?

They convert 1.0 material and do not have new 2.0 material. Composure is new and not included because it is new.