Niro750

Noob 1.0 to 2.0 questions (more cards than Last Vegas)

Hi all, 

I bought into X wing literally just before 2.0 was announced, 1 of each core set and a smattering of rebel and Imperial ships for me and the Mrs, nothing too planned out, just ships that we liked or were meant to be good.

I had unpacked and organised our stuff in a toolbox and it looked like it would be pretty easy to start. Then 2.0 was announced and as I'm so busy with work anyway I decided to order the conversion sets for rebel & Imperial and the 2.0 core, waiting for those to arrive before we bothered learning how to play 1.0

My problem is that I now have a few billion cards for upgrades , wtf am I meant to do with them all! I can hardly fit them in my box, I have no idea if we should share them between us, if we can share some of them and if indeed we should even have access to all of them!? Another thing is that I have Mr dameron items in my upgrade set, I thought he was going to be in a different faction? I was just going to use the blue x-wing as a standard proxy ship before that.

I thought I chose a sensible way to start playing but maybe I was wrong! I also now have loads of 1.0 stuff left over and I'm not sure if I should try to sell it, keep it or what.

Please can someone provide a little advice on the above! I feel a bit overwhelmed!

Thanks a billion

3 minutes ago, Roller of blanks said:

Just sell it.

2.0 is way better and you're better off getting some cash

Maybe I'll post some pics on here later and verify I'm not getting rid of something I may need or accidentally took out if the set.

So many things to swap and mess with.

Cheers

The vast majority of the cards can be used by any faction. Cards that are faction specific will say something like “Rebel only” on the card. Princess Leia is an example of this.

Most of your 1.0 tokens are not needed for 2.0, but certain things like bomb tokens did not change (and did not come with conversions).

You will probably need to use some 1.0 shield tokens and color one side of them red. The conversions did not come with shields, so 2.0 shields are scarce at the moment.

The biggest change is that the points and upgrade slots are now not printed on the cards. You will need to either use the PDFs on the X-wing page under rules, use the quick build cards (there is a complete list of these also on the website for casual play) or use the online squad builder (link at the top of the X-wing site). The points/slots will change over time as they balance and re-balance the game.

As far as organizing the cards, some people use binders, others use card dividers, others use boxes and homemade things. It’s a lot of cards right out of the gate. I honestly still just have mine in piles in the core set box right now.

5 hours ago, dadocollin said:

The vast majority of the cards can be used by any faction. Cards that are faction specific will say something like “Rebel only” on the card. Princess Leia is an example of this.

Most of your 1.0 tokens are not needed for 2.0, but certain things like bomb tokens did not change (and did not come with conversions).

You will probably need to use some 1.0 shield tokens and color one side of them red. The conversions did not come with shields, so 2.0 shields are scarce at the moment.

The biggest change is that the points and upgrade slots are now not printed on the cards. You will need to either use the PDFs on the X-wing page under rules, use the quick build cards (there is a complete list of these also on the website for casual play) or use the online squad builder (link at the top of the X-wing site). The points/slots will change over time as they balance and re-balance the game.

As far as organizing the cards, some people use binders, others use card dividers, others use boxes and homemade things. It’s a lot of cards right out of the gate. I honestly still just have mine in piles in the core set box right now.

Thanks for your reply, if I was to try and ask something a little more specifically: should I be comparing the upgrade cards I have from 1.0 and then using those in 2.0 and putting ones I don't already have in 1.0  to the side because technically I haven't accrued them from ship purchases or do players of 2.0 now just assume that they have full access to all upgrade cards provided in the new sets and going forward? That also seems unfair to new players but maybe I am missing some information. There is a chance that I may eventually play the odd game at local games shop in the future, I would like to know what is 'correct'.

Thanks

Edited by Niro750

1 hour ago, Niro750 said:

Thanks for your reply, if I was to try and ask something a little more specifically: should I be comparing the upgrade cards I have from 1.0 and then using those in 2.0 and putting ones I don't already have in 1.0  to the side because technically I haven't accrued them from ship purchases or do players of 2.0 now just assume that they have full access to all upgrade cards provided in the new sets and going forward? That also seems unfair to new players but maybe I am missing some information. There is a chance that I may eventually play the odd game at local games shop in the future, I would like to know what is 'correct'.

Thanks

For upgrade cards you can use whatever you have in 2.0. For pilot-cards you should have the corresponding ship, however for casual play most players will probably let you play with empty bases. There is also a special format for new players that only allows stuff that has already been re-released in 2.0.   

Edited by Duskwalker

I'd keep all tokens handy until you are sure you don't need them.

Shield tokens are non-existent in the kits. extra focus and evade are always handy.

Dials, cardboard ship bases, mini upgrade cards and pilot cards all go into a box and sealed away.

I am seeing 2.0 ships at my FLGS going for $5 more than the 1.0 ships did.

Since you have all the dials, bases and pilot cards, buying 1.0 ships will save you money.

Lastly, I sleeved only 4 of each upgrade card. Having bought 3 factions, I had a lot of card left over.

I figure about 3" high stack! I may need them later but for now it keeps sorting of upgrades manageable.

I see a lot of people giving hood advice here IF you know what they’re talking about, but if you’re brand new to the game then it may not be clear what they’re talking about, so allow me to repeat a lot of what has been said but hopefully in a way that’s easier to understand. 

Heres a list of a bunch of things from first edition that does carry over to second ed: 

• Ship models
  • Ship stands
  • Dice
  • Range ruler(s)
  • Obstacles (Asteroids and debris clouds)
  • Bomb tokens
  • Most other tokens (as has been said, it’s worthwhile hanging on to all of your 1.0 tokens at least for the time being, because you might need more shields, target locks, etc. than what comes in the 2.0 kits. After a while you should have an idea of what you still need and what you don’t, and eventually you probably want to replace all your 1.0 tokens with 2.0 tokens, because in 2.0 certain things like color and shape are important that weren’t important (and therefore weren’t consistent) in first edition)

Here’s a list of things that do not carry over into second edition. You can safely throw these away or pack them away and store them in your closet (or try to sell them, but you’re going to have a hard time finding anyone to buy them even for pennies on the dollar. If  it was me, I would store them for a month or two, just long enough to make sure that you haven’t packed away something you need, and then toss them):

• All cards- ship cards, upgrade cards, reference cards, damage cards, etc. 
  • Ship dials
  • Ship bases (the rectangular cardboard pieces with the firing arcs printed on them that go in the plastic bases)
  • Maneuver templates (technically these still work most of the time, but occasionally you will need to make use of the white line printed down the center of the 2.0 templates. If you are providing everything for both players (ie: you and your wife) and you only have 1 set of 2.0 maneuver templates, then you may actually want to hang on to a set of 1.0 templates so that each player can have one. Just keep those 2.0 templates close for when either player needs to do barrel rolls, overlaps a ship, etc, because that’s when you’ll need to use the white lines). 

I think that covers most everything from 1.0. Everything in the “do not keep” list has been replaced in second edition. 

Going forward with your collection, because you have purchased a couple conversion kits, I would suggest buying ships used from eBay or your local community. At the moment I typically have been seeing 1.0 ships selling for ~ $5-6 for small ships and up to $10-20 for the larger ships, depending on size. Do your research before buying and don’t spend more than 50% MSRP on any 1.0 ships you buy (new or used). And pay attention to your conversion kits and how many ships they cover. For example, buying 5 A-Wings because you want to fly an A-wing swarm is great and all, but the conversion kit only provides enough components for 3 A-Wings, so if you want more than that you’ll have to buy individual 2.0 A-wing dials or wait until A-Wings are re-released for second edition and buy them new). 

Lets see, what else...

As for the 2.0 upgrade cards, I suggest organizing them by type and then storing them in a box with dividers or in a binder- whatever you prefer that will make them easy to search through. For a lot of upgrades you will have more cards than you will ever need, but it’s hard to know which ones until you’ve been playing a while (for me personally I saved up to 6 copies of each upgrade just because). You and your wife will want to share the upgrade cards between you- no need to split them between factions/players. 

Your blue Poe Dameron X-wing should work just fine as a proxy for regular t-65 x-wings, at least for casual play. If you ever decide to go to a tournament you might run into an issue proxying ships- we don’t know for sure yet. 

As for easing into the game, take it slow. With the conversion kits you have enough to play EVERY ship from two different factions. That’s a lot of ships. For starters, just do games using the quickbuild cards that came in the core set. There is also a PDF on FFG’s X-Wing Page that has quickbuilds for all the ships in the conversion kits. Once you’ve gotten the hang of those you can try moving to regular games with lists built in the new X-Wing squad builder app. 

Also, at some point I highly recommend going to your local game store on its X-Wing night and asking the players there to show you the ropes a bit. You’ll learn the ins and outs of the game far more thoroughly and quickly that way than you will teaching yourself. 

Let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to the game! :)

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I see a lot of people giving hood advice here IF you know what they’re talking about, but if you’re brand new to the game then it may not be clear what they’re talking about, so allow me to repeat a lot of what has been said but hopefully in a way that’s easier to understand. 

Heres a list of a bunch of things from first edition that does carry over to second ed: 

• Ship models
  • Ship stands
  • Dice
  • Range ruler(s)
  • Obstacles (Asteroids and debris clouds)
  • Bomb tokens
  • Most other tokens (as has been said, it’s worthwhile hanging on to all of your 1.0 tokens at least for the time being, because you might need more shields, target locks, etc. than what comes in the 2.0 kits. After a while you should have an idea of what you still need and what you don’t, and eventually you probably want to replace all your 1.0 tokens with 2.0 tokens, because in 2.0 certain things like color and shape are important that weren’t important (and therefore weren’t consistent) in first edition)

Here’s a list of things that do not carry over into second edition. You can safely throw these away or pack them away and store them in your closet (or try to sell them, but you’re going to have a hard time finding anyone to buy them even for pennies on the dollar. If  it was me, I would store them for a month or two, just long enough to make sure that you haven’t packed away something you need, and then toss them):

• All cards- ship cards, upgrade cards, reference cards, damage cards, etc. 
  • Ship dials
  • Ship bases (the rectangular cardboard pieces with the firing arcs printed on them that go in the plastic bases)
  • Maneuver templates (technically these still work most of the time, but occasionally you will need to make use of the white line printed down the center of the 2.0 templates. If you are providing everything for both players (ie: you and your wife) and you only have 1 set of 2.0 maneuver templates, then you may actually want to hang on to a set of 1.0 templates so that each player can have one. Just keep those 2.0 templates close for when either player needs to do barrel rolls, overlaps a ship, etc, because that’s when you’ll need to use the white lines). 

I think that covers most everything from 1.0. Everything in the “do not keep” list has been replaced in second edition. 

Going forward with your collection, because you have purchased a couple conversion kits, I would suggest buying ships used from eBay or your local community. At the moment I typically have been seeing 1.0 ships selling for ~ $5-6 for small ships and up to $10-20 for the larger ships, depending on size. Do your research before buying and don’t spend more than 50% MSRP on any 1.0 ships you buy (new or used). And pay attention to your conversion kits and how many ships they cover. For example, buying 5 A-Wings because you want to fly an A-wing swarm is great and all, but the conversion kit only provides enough components for 3 A-Wings, so if you want more than that you’ll have to buy individual 2.0 A-wing dials or wait until A-Wings are re-released for second edition and buy them new). 

Lets see, what else...

As for the 2.0 upgrade cards, I suggest organizing them by type and then storing them in a box with dividers or in a binder- whatever you prefer that will make them easy to search through. For a lot of upgrades you will have more cards than you will ever need, but it’s hard to know which ones until you’ve been playing a while (for me personally I saved up to 6 copies of each upgrade just because). You and your wife will want to share the upgrade cards between you- no need to split them between factions/players. 

Your blue Poe Dameron X-wing should work just fine as a proxy for regular t-65 x-wings, at least for casual play. If you ever decide to go to a tournament you might run into an issue proxying ships- we don’t know for sure yet. 

As for easing into the game, take it slow. With the conversion kits you have enough to play EVERY ship from two different factions. That’s a lot of ships. For starters, just do games using the quickbuild cards that came in the core set. There is also a PDF on FFG’s X-Wing Page that has quickbuilds for all the ships in the conversion kits. Once you’ve gotten the hang of those you can try moving to regular games with lists built in the new X-Wing squad builder app. 

Also, at some point I highly recommend going to your local game store on its X-Wing night and asking the players there to show you the ropes a bit. You’ll learn the ins and outs of the game far more thoroughly and quickly that way than you will teaching yourself. 

Let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to the game! :)

Epic reply among some other brilliant replies.

Guys thanks very much for all the info, very helpful and I'll get looking at the imperial conversion tonight or tomorrow and that will be me ready to play. 

We are also in the middle of an IA campaign which is good. Should try to finish that.

I would like to go to a local club night. The nearest is a 40 Mon drive. We did have one in my town but it stopped years ago and I missed that bus. Shame.

:D

4 hours ago, Niro750 said:

I would like to go to a local club night. The nearest is a 40 Mon drive. We did have one in my town but it stopped years ago and I missed that bus. Shame.

Good luck!

And with 2.0 recently released, maybe the time is right to start your local community back up... ;)

Thanks to all for the info!

Below are some pictures of the sets amalgamated. I kept the rebel supplied upgrade cards together and the imperial cards together. I then took the astromech cards from the 2.0 game set and added them to the rebel upgrade cards and the obvious imperial only cards went with the imperial upgrade card stack. There were some left over that can go to either side so I've kept them separate.

I do have a couple of tokens shown below that I'm unsure about as well.

What I have left from 1.0:

IMG_20180924_134034_zpswcu0ou29.jpg

Tokens I am unsure about:

IMG_20180924_134345_zpsj2fbewbw.jpg

IMG_20180924_134424_zpsg2cchqrd.jpg

Cards from 2.0 that I am unsure about:

(They look like example cards?)

IMG_20180924_134528_zpsqpae28fw.jpg

IMG_20180924_134620_zpsk0fijbln.jpg

My current set: 

IMG_20180924_135328_zpstu8jrvka.jpg

IMG_20180924_135407_zpsq5zdgtom.jpg

Now I need to look for my u wing dial as it seems to have vanished! 

Thanks for the help so far.

the bombs are described in the rules reference near the end.

the cards are 1.0 alt art cards - prizes from tournaments 

the container and other numbered tokens are from missions which came in larger sized expansions like Imperial Aces/Veterans

7 minutes ago, robert t said:

the bombs are described in the rules reference near the end.

the cards are 1.0 alt art cards - prizes from tournaments 

the container and other numbered tokens are from missions which came in larger sized expansions like Imperial Aces/Veterans

Thanks, this shows why it maybe wasn't a good idea not to play 1.0 at all and convert the sets with no clue!

I'll keep the container tokens as we may play a mission from the set (I kept all the booklets)

The cards I think came as part of the extra set of damage cards I got for pre ordering or came in 2.0 as it mentions quick battles. I will pop them in the relevant faction set as they omit the text and look nice.

Cheers

@robert t misspoke. Those cards are 2.0 alt art cards, not 1.0. Don’t toss those, keep them and use them. 

Also, you have several bomb tokens in your “unsure” pile. They are the square-ish tokens with nubs on one side for inserting a maneuver template into (not including the Container and Escape Pod tokens) as well as the big round tokens also with template nubs (including the cluster bomb tokens, which are a set of 3 round tokens with the middle token having the template nubs and cut it’s that the other two tokens fit into). 

Make sure you save all your bomb tokens. 

As for the U-Wing Dial, double check the Saw’s Renegade pack- it came with components for both first and second edition, so it may be in there. Likewise with the TIE Reaper if you got that pack.  You should have also gotten 2 U-Wing dials in your rebel conversion kit. 

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

@robert t misspoke. Those cards are 2.0 alt art cards, not 1.0. Don’t toss those, keep them and use them. 

Also, you have several bomb tokens in your “unsure” pile. They are the square-ish tokens with nubs on one side for inserting a maneuver template into (not including the Container and Escape Pod tokens) as well as the big round tokens also with template nubs (including the cluster bomb tokens, which are a set of 3 round tokens with the middle token having the template nubs and cut it’s that the other two tokens fit into). 

Make sure you save all your bomb tokens. 

As for the U-Wing Dial, double check the Saw’s Renegade pack- it came with components for both first and second edition, so it may be in there. Likewise with the TIE Reaper if you got that pack.  You should have also gotten 2 U-Wing dials in your rebel conversion kit. 

Thanks mate, I realised going on @robert t info that the cards were some promo ones, I had a look and checked them against my new cards and then stuck them in with those, thanks for the confirmation.

I found the dial, seems I made a mistake and pulled the wrong dial apart and put it back into the cardboard punch sheet! One of them had a different batch colour and stuck out like a sore thumb! I would call myself an idiot but I had things in organised piles everywhere and I think I just picked up the wrong thing! 

As per advice above I will also order some 1.0 ships on eBay now. This conversion kit is a god send to get some cheap ships! If I'm not beaten to it haha

Thanks all

I just wanted to reiterate something others have said. Keep the 1st edition tokens like shields, stress, ion, focus, evade, etc. You simply don't get enough of these in the new packs for many lists. This will improve once more actual expansions are released, I think, but it is a fair bit frustrating.

also, my 2.0 tokens are misaligned pretty badly.

It really stands out against the black background. 1.0 has  an edge design which visually minimizes any offset printing.

I will stick with the better graphics of 1.0.

5 hours ago, Ixidor said:

I just wanted to reiterate something others have said. Keep the 1st edition tokens like shields, stress, ion, focus, evade, etc. You simply don't get enough of these in the new packs for many lists. This will improve once more actual expansions are released, I think, but it is a fair bit frustrating.

4 hours ago, robert t said:

also, my 2.0 tokens are misaligned pretty badly.

It really stands out against the black background. 1.0 has  an edge design which visually minimizes any offset printing.

I will stick with the better graphics of 1.0.

Thanks, all items stored pending a few games on your advice. Going to pick up some 1.0 ships on eBay is possible as well.

:)