Kieransi

I disagree with FFG greatly on OP formats

2 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I don't think that's realistic.  There's already 7 ships per wave just to tick off all the factions.

We'll see soon enough, but we already know there's not even a Rebel or Imp ship in Wave 2, and wave 3 has to load up two whole factions with new ships.

Theres not even an indication they'll do one per faction per wave, let alone multiple.  It's only a guess, but my guess is they know full well half the old ships will never be rereleased during the life of 2nd Ed.

I think this kind of wild speculations out of thin air are ridiculous, since we don't really know anything about their production plans at this moment.

You did the same wild guess about the tournament formats a few weeks ago and you have been wrong about that too.

So you would do us all a favour if you stopped posting wild claims without any proofs, and just wait how it pans out like everybody else.

They'll be released, just mostly as repackage/reprint stuff. They might not even fit into the normal release/wave order. Put it this way, if they had the ability to stock all**of first Ed, some like 40 odd items, before... there's really no reason for them to go back to only stocking six to 18 products.

Edited by ForceSensitive

I d also most likely quit if FFG announced today that the competitive format would be 2.0 only, or mainly 2.0.

I would have had nothing against the idea at the start of 2.0, but not after I bought 3 conversion kits. I have 0 interest in casual-only formats, so that would leave me with 150$ worth of mostly useless stuff, which isn't something I'd look forward to. 

1 hour ago, LordBlades said:

casual-only formats

Extend would not be a casual only format, though. It would still be an opportunity to try out ships way before their released.

Personally I wouldn't want 2nd ed. to be the competetive format right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to switching in a year or so when we have 2-4 additional waves.

24 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Extend would not be a casual only format, though. It would still be an opportunity to try out ships way before their released.

I've been doing that on Vassal for my entire time of playing 1.0, at no cost whatsoever. Then there's also proxies and dial apps. Paying 50$ per faction just to have an easier time testing unreleased stuff is still a bad deal. 

1 hour ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Personally I wouldn't want 2nd ed. to be the competetive format right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to switching in a year or so when we have 2-4 additional waves.

Where do people get this stupid ideas from?

Conversion Kits are great because my old collection is still viable and I can still use it in new game and official tournaments. In a way FFG shows that they appreciate old, faithful players and already exisiting fanbase. It means I will still play this game and I will still buy coming waves, knowing perfectly well that my collection will be always playable at tournament level (because I am interested only in this kind of play) and FFG respects me as a customer.
On the contrary if FFG would never publish Conversion Kits they would probably kill exisitng player base and had to build it from the ground up. "Hard restart" is inane concept.

The fact that there is extended format in no way makes obstacles for new players any different then they were since inception of X-Wing - they can buy conversion kits and they can buy ships from 1.0 almost everywhere. It is in no way different than starting to play X-Wing during later waves - you still have to catch up with others one way or the other. Also, new stuff is completely playable against stuff from Conversion Kits.

P.S. It should be mentioned that there will be tournaments for new players with 2.0 only stuff, so I don't see where is the problem for "hard restart" brigade.

My feeling is that the quick build cards based tournaments are the way for new players to get into fun squads and not worrying that they have messed up in list building.

Then once they are confident or happy they can more easily break out into tournament list building.  

The game has been attracting new players on a continuous basis, wether it wave 8, 10, 14 waves they just had to pick what they wanted at time of joining and get used to facing the large variety, extended tournaments are no different now.

32 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

The fact that there is extended format in no way makes obstacles for new players any different then they were since inception of X-Wing - they can buy conversion kits and they can buy ships from 1.0 almost everywhere.

Is this true, though?  I see no indication that 1.0 stuff will be reprinted, which means once it's gone it's gone (and some have already said certain ships are scarce or nonexistent in their areas).  Since they're not reprinting 1.0 stuff, it also makes me wonder how long they'll be reprinting the conversion kits.  Unless FFG has everything fully released in 2.0 by the time the 1.0 stock and conversion kits are gone, you'll end up with a situation where there is no legitimate way for someone to fly what other people are flying in a tournament.

53 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Is this true, though?  I see no indication that 1.0 stuff will be reprinted, which means once it's gone it's gone (and some have already said certain ships are scarce or nonexistent in their areas).  Since they're not reprinting 1.0 stuff, it also makes me wonder how long they'll be reprinting the conversion kits.  Unless FFG has everything fully released in 2.0 by the time the 1.0 stock and conversion kits are gone, you'll end up with a situation where there is no legitimate way for someone to fly what other people are flying in a tournament.

A lot of 1e is out of stock online, but not in the awaiting reprint section right now.

I had a thought, not standing on either side because I just don’t care enough anymore. That said...

What if with preorder numbers and opening sales figures FFG decided to go this route because they are already seeing sharp declines in new product moving? I mean on the boards alone I see waay more people talking like they are veterans and the couple who are new are buying a core and like 1-2 xpacs. That’s not very promising in a game that lives and dies with multiple sales.

It is possible they are catering to existing customers more because they are trying to hold on. They did improve the gameplay and that’s great but their op structure has always left something to be desired and this launch of 2nd edition was rocky at best and at worst a disaster. I just caution veteran gamers to be careful what you wish for. 2 things in life will gain you more grief than anything else, not getting what you wish for and the other is getting it.

I do have to point out that us forum members constitute a puny percentage of the purchases (aliteration!) that make this game game so successful

And I know the twenty or so regular locals ain't supporting the game all by themselves 

Edited by ficklegreendice

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I do have to point out that us forum members constitute a puny percentage of the purchases (aliteration!) that make this game game so successful

And I know the twenty or so regular locals ain't supporting the game all by themselves 

Just a theory Fickle, and agreed this forum is a poor sample but it does echo the greater community and many many vets don’t come here. That at least is no mystery ?

9 hours ago, SOTL said:

The word they used was 'eventually' not ASAP.  Do the maths... at 1 ship per wave and NEVER releasing a new Rebel ship it's 4-5 years.

Interview with Andrew Navaro, Head of Fantasy Flight Games Studio.  From 23 minutes in.

"Our release plan is super aggressive, especially for the first six to nine months, first year of releases.  It's a lot of stuff."

IIRC there was a similar conversation with - might have been Frank and Alex -  that came out around the same time, where they were discussing production and distribution and said they really wanted to have all existing ships re-released in 2nd edition format as quickly as possible, and they were looking at ways of doing so.

And when you think about it, it's not like they're redesigning all of these ships from scratch.  They're not new products.  The models have already been designed.  The pilot cards are already in circulation.  The dials are already in circulation.  There might be a couple of new pilots and upgrades released with them, but that's it.

We're essentially talking reprints here, not new releases.  Once the conversion kits are out of the way, I expect Wave announcements to be for new product only.  Like the CIS and Republic factions, the Resistance A-Wing, Mining Guild TIE and Lando's Falcon.

Given that X-wing 2.0 is brought to us by the same guys that brought us the Autothrusters expansion, C-3P0 in the Tantive and Palpatine in the Raider, I m expecting the re-releases to contain some powerful new pilots and upgrades, in order to at least encourage people not to field those ships with conversion kit contents only. 

If that ends up not being the case, I'll be very surprised. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. 

Edited by LordBlades