FSD

Upcoming releases - time to break the "one of everything" habit?

I really enjoy both the hobby and the game so I have been getting two of everything .... and today the core was ~28% off on Amazon so I “now” have three core sets ... time for some Eastern European army camouflage schemes on the rebels ... and more stormies in standard white ...

might be a problem as the CW sets come out ... ah probably not....

10 hours ago, Stasy said:

Future armies/factions may not get as much love from me. Need to be real about how much money I spend. 

Totally get that. I just dropped a ton of change to convert my entire collection of X-Wing to 2.0 (well besides the FO, that’s another $30 when wave 2 lands).

I probably won’t be buying one of everything going forward over there in that space.

We will see what release schedules look like. If I can build out two factions, even if only casually, then I’d like to in case of being able to help host a game when someone won’t be buying in. I also like the painting process now that I’ve tried it and having some diversity of stuff to work on would be nice (I’d actually really be interested in the droid army, since flesh tone/organics have been the bane of my painting experience - and the Empire always has cooler looking ground forces for the civil war era).

That said.... I haven’t gotten too many games in with friends. I’d really like to get that in, but it’s a casual game to me so I’d be worried about meta gaming if I went to the game store (or rather, how best to answer it since I haven’t bought more than 1 of any expansion thus far - I actually cannot field 800 points with Veers yet - Boba should change that)

One of everything will stop for me soon. Not sure how much I will play with E-Webs, or Palp + RGs for that matter. I'll be picking up 2-3 Scouts + Boba but that might be it for me for a little while. 

I also don't own any Rebels except Luke currently, so I guess I am already not buying one of everything...

12 hours ago, QuentinM said:

I really enjoy both the hobby and the game so I have been getting two of everything .... and today the core was ~28% off on Amazon so I “now” have three core sets ... time for some Eastern European army camouflage schemes on the rebels ... and more stormies in standard white ...

might be a problem as the CW sets come out ... ah probably not....

I'd be surprised if the GCW releases continue at the same pace when Clone Wars stuff starts releasing. I'd imagine the releases will be entirely CIS or GAR in order for the new factions to catch up a bit, not to mention give FFG some time to plan future GCW releases. 

As to the original question, I still plan on buying one of everything, if only for display/hobby/RPG purposes. 

I have been trying to buy one of everything (still do not have an AT-ST) because I like to have them from a collection standpoint and I like to have options when building armies for either faction.  I have been getting both factions as I play with my sons, so we need to have enough to field an army for each faction.  Currently we are just at enough for 800 point games with each.  My rebel commandos and Han are not painted yet, and when Boba and the Scouts come out I will need to get them painted up (the Scouts should be pretty quick to be done). 

At some point I am probably going to add another unit of Fleet Troopers and Snowtroopers, just to give the option to use more of them if wanted.  I will probably add a second unit of both commandos and scout troopers as well.

As for the lack of Grand Army games vs. 800 point games, right now that could be a result of the options available to us.  Toward the beginning of next year, when we have more special forces, commanders/operatives and the emplacement troopers out for each faction, it likely will be easier for people to be fielding 1600 point armies, so we might start seeing more Grand Army games. 

Not sure what I am going to do when Clone Wars comes out.  I like Clone Wars, just not sure I can afford to keep up with four factions.  If the Imperial and Rebel factions really start to slow down, I might add Clone Wars factions.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:26 PM, TauntaunScout said:

It's all relative. This was the headcount of Star Wars Miniatures Battles by WEG and (Old)hammer 40,000. If 40ish models per side is the biggest game in town, that becomes the definition of "mass battle games". But 40k armies have roughly tripled in headcount since then...

This would be a lot more like a massed infantry game if "grand" or whatever games were common. But people apparently choose to play 800 points only.

If you really want the massed infantry experience, 15mm ancients is the way to go!

i remember playing 7mm ancients , painting was a case of drawing a stripe across them

Unfortunately I don’t see any other way. Been buying 2-3 of everything as I like to be able to field a variety of different lists. If the unit is good especially they will be purchased more lol. I try to win tournaments to get store credit as much as possible so my expenses aren’t as extreme. I don’t know that the e-webs will that good so I’ll probably just go with 1 unit of those. When the Clone Wars comes out it’s going to be rough...buying 4 factions will be tough but necessary as it’s all just so **** cool

17 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Definately getting 2+ of boba fett to convert my own mandalorian scouts

I was comsidering this but im on a tight budget. Although on amazon boba is pretty cheap. Hes £5 less than han (edit: nvm hes gone back up) and both are 3 times cheaper than leia! How come leia went out of stock so quickly, did ffg not make enough?

Edited by Jabby

I'm actually taking a little hiatus from Legion to focus on building D&D terrain and fantasy minis.

However, I'm still buying one of everything for Legion, as it gets released. I really enjoy the game and will certainly get back to it. When I do, I want to have a complete inventory of units. Also, I just like collecting Star Wars stuff. I'm sure I'll get the Wookie Warriors even though I don't care for the idea of them. But, oh well. I likely won't quit buying one of everything until they get to the sequel trilogy stuff, which I don't much care for. 

On 9/21/2018 at 3:22 PM, KraydKaflar said:

Honestly if I had the option of only buying one side I totally would. Unfortunately the only way I can play right now, due to lack of FLGS support, is begging friends to come over. So I have to have at least 2 armies of stuff otherwise I lose even that.

My life summed up in one thread post. QQ

So far I'm doing "one of everything" and will keep doing so for the foreseeable future. To be fair the only battle I've been able to participate in have been with my 5 year old son who is content to slide them around the table and go: "pew, pew, pew" (usually with Han) at whatever group of stormies is closest... eventually I'll have to makes real forces with extra units... But I'm good with this for now.

I have been using the old WEG OOBs for my forces, which means I have a platoon of Stormtroopers and rebel troopers which is good enough for a large battle. I'll be adding some Scouttroopers and maybe rebel Commandos to this to give me options, but maybe only a couple of boxes each. I have no interest in the snowtroopers (my board is green...) however I wouldn't mind the heavy weapons with crew conversions though. But as for 'one of everything' my bank balance wouldn't allow for it...

As for not having the upgrade cards, there's plenty of information on the web to be able to add any you need to your army without the physical card.

Edited by Abwehrschlacht