PhantomFO

Homing Missiles - When do you NOT take the hit?

7 hours ago, J1mBob said:

Homing Missiles on a Phoenix Squadron A-Wing has made it harder for my opponent’s Whisper to ignore them. Situational, but I like that. I like Homing Missiles on 2-die primaries like A-wings and TIE Adv v1 (TAP’s). 

I just tried them tonight on A-Wings, and being able to guarantee a damage at long range was rather useful.  Putting them on TAPs with Colonel Jendon supporting may be rather fun, too, and remove the hassle of trying to get locks for the initial engagement.

4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I just tried them tonight on A-Wings, and being able to guarantee a damage at long range was rather useful.  Putting them on TAPs with Colonel Jendon supporting may be rather fun, too, and remove the hassle of trying to get locks for the initial engagement.

You can do basically the same thing with Bodhi Rook, Awing and 4 Z95's. Bandit with Homings is just 26points. Awing gets you basically LongRangeScanners on turn 2 if you want. Just take locks on that one ace and it has some maneuvering to do unless it wants to face 4 homing missiles guaranteening 4 damage minimum unless you are willing to take that 16 dice. Risking to be blocked by Awing. Against fattier targets you can just shoot primaries as you still have 6 ships with TL focus.

It was rather fun list to fly when you add Leia to the mix for easy turn around. Not the best, but it had some potential. I1 is problem most of the time, but I've got used to it flying low PS rebels like forever in 1.0

If you're not expecting any more fire, 3 dice with focus and evade takes on average less than a point of damage (so the odds are in your favour taking the dice roll)

4 Dice with focus and evade (say, stealth soontir) takes even less, and if he dodges it, critically also keeps the stealth device. 

That includes - as noted - spending the tokens, so If you're facing a shedload of missiles, nine times out of ten you'd just eat the damage.

As noted, they're a good buy for stuff like TIE/x1 or TIE/v1, because they're cheap, you're not bothered enough to have a large stockpile of charges or a need to reload, but they are noticeably more effective at range 3 than primary weapons.

I like Homing missiles, they create a win-win circumstance for your 2-die fighters. At range 3 especially.

Also with a swarm of Skygs, A-Wings or Z-95's if youre landing 3-4 Homing triggers on the same ship then you're actually dealing a lot of damage very quickly, Soontir dead, Vader halfway done. If they actually take the shots then youre still burning defensive tokens. You really need something else in your list to complement the homing spam, a Kimogile or Luke X-wing ETC.

This missile is late game ordnance.  While many of the torpedoes and missiles have focused on dealing damage early, I think they made this one to be useful in the endgame.  That guy's token stacked behind 3AGI and you can't do the last damage?  This gives you the chance to do that.  At least 4 dice is better than the 2 dice you would be throwing with many missile ships.